Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a Dana 60 full float rear and a Dana 44HD front out of a ’75 Ford pickup. I don’t know much about the High Boy but I believe that is what it came out of. The front is the huge closed knuckle king pin version, 8 lug. So that’s what I’ve got.
I want to do disk on both. The Dana 60 is pretty straightforward and there are plenty of write-ups but the D44HD is causing me a little grief.
I know around 76 they started putting disk brakes on the D44HD. What I don’t really want to do is find, buy and put on newer ball joint style knuckles from the later year axle but I know it’s an option. (I may end up taking off the ends and rotating them around to help my pinion angle anyway)
What seems possible and easy is making my own caliper bracket, finding or buying a new hub and rotor from the newer model 44HD w/disk and using the factory caliper from the F250 of those years. Actually that’s one question I have, can I use the hub from my drum model? Can I just take it off the drum part and put it into the new rotor?

I guess I’m looking for any information on this anyone has. If I’m making this more complicated than it needs to be please let me know. If this is just like any other D44 drum to disk swap that would be great (plenty of write-ups on that). If there are any pitfalls I should be aware of I would appreciate a heads up. Oh this is going to use 15 inch rims so that’s an additional consideration. :banghead

Thanks!

-R

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I got a lot of good information from your site. (I appreciate that) That picture and summary were what I was basing most of my thoughts on.
It’s not that I’m dead set on using a D44HD but it’s what I have. I like the 8 lugs pattern (same on my rear D60), it’s already geared to what I want, granted the king pin may be more trouble than the ball joint, and I wont be able to keep my Warn hubs from my existing TTB D44 but I basically got this front end for free. It was a package deal, the 60 and 44HD for $85. I original set out for a regular 44 w/disk brakes to replace my TTB so I’m okay with using the “weaker” 44 in the front of my truck. I haven’t had problems with breakage on the TTB 44 but I have serious problems with alignment. It cost me around $50 to align after every trail I run. So that’s at least 75% of my motivation. (I don’t know what the other 25% is yet. Ha!)
If you guys tell me that this front end will be a nightmare then I’ll start thinking about something else. But for now it seems to be a decent place to start.

So if I use the rotor/hub/caliper off a couple years newer d44HD, will they bold right up? I would only need to make a backing plate and caliper mount? From what i've read so far that seems to be my best option. :scratchhe

Thanks again for your help and thanks for the info on your site MR.N.
BTW - I took a bunch of pics of both the 44HD and the 60 if you'ld like to use them.

-R

·
Registered
236 Posts
renopowers said:
Thanks again for your help and thanks for the info on your site MR.N.
BTW - I took a bunch of pics of both the 44HD and the 60 if you'ld like to use them.

-R
I'l like those pics! Send me a PM!

About the Calipers and brackets, Grant ended up using Chevy style ones. I think a common aftermarket type with four pistons. Only thing he could get to fit.
I really don't see a reason not to try it... Other than brakes calipers cost over $200...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I usual just have questions but I have some info to share finally. I’ve been trying to put disk breaks on my 75 D44HD front end. After lots of reading and a couple of junkyard trips here’s where I’m at.

I grabbed a couple of rotors, calipers, backing plates, lug nuts and even the break pads off an 83 ¾ ton Chevy pickup. So far what I’ve found is that the rotor mounts up to the ford hub using the Chevy lug nuts just fine. The backing plate slips right into place over the spindle and all bolt holes line up. Not surprising right, well here is where things don’t line up. With the rotor secured to the back side of the hub and the hub tight on the spindle the rotor makes contact with the backing plate which does not allow the rotor to turn. Some grinding may fix that, I don’t know I’ve not gotten that far. On to the next problem. If you remember I have the kingpin version which has two mini basketball sized close knuckle things on either end (same as in the pic above). So when I try to mount the caliper two things happen, one is the rotor is way to far in and the caliper wont slide down and the other is even with the rotor off the piston on the caliper hits the large closed knuckle thing preventing it from mounting to the backing plate.

I don’t know if the rotor-caliper-backing plate alignment problems between the various Chevy and Ford pieces are already know but obviously I missed the memo. ;)

I’m anxious to get my solid front axle done but I’m not in such a hurry that I can’t start my search over. Who knows I lucked out on the D60 rear I found, maybe I’ll find a D60 front. If I do you’re more than welcome to my D44HD. More likely I’ll be looking for a high pinion 44 that I can put my 8 lug 44HD outers on. I can use the gear out of my HD (they match the D60 I got it with) and I’ll be set. I think I’ll see the same alignment/spacing problems using the Ford hub, Chevy backing plate, caliper and rotor as before but I don’t know. I’ll just have to see.

I didn't have my camera with me or I would have grabbed some pics. I'll try to remember it next time I tear into it.

-r

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
renopowers said:
So I usual just have questions but I have some info to share finally. I’ve been trying to put disk breaks on my 75 D44HD front end. After lots of reading and a couple of junkyard trips here’s where I’m at.

I grabbed a couple of rotors, calipers, backing plates, lug nuts and even the break pads off an 83 ¾ ton Chevy pickup. So far what I’ve found is that the rotor mounts up to the ford hub using the Chevy lug nuts just fine. The backing plate slips right into place over the spindle and all bolt holes line up. Not surprising right, well here is where things don’t line up. With the rotor secured to the back side of the hub and the hub tight on the spindle the rotor makes contact with the backing plate which does not allow the rotor to turn. Some grinding may fix that, I don’t know I’ve not gotten that far. On to the next problem. If you remember I have the kingpin version which has two mini basketball sized close knuckle things on either end (same as in the pic above). So when I try to mount the caliper two things happen, one is the rotor is way to far in and the caliper wont slide down and the other is even with the rotor off the piston on the caliper hits the large closed knuckle thing preventing it from mounting to the backing plate.

I don’t know if the rotor-caliper-backing plate alignment problems between the various Chevy and Ford pieces are already know but obviously I missed the memo. ;)

I’m anxious to get my solid front axle done but I’m not in such a hurry that I can’t start my search over. Who knows I lucked out on the D60 rear I found, maybe I’ll find a D60 front. If I do you’re more than welcome to my D44HD. More likely I’ll be looking for a high pinion 44 that I can put my 8 lug 44HD outers on. I can use the gear out of my HD (they match the D60 I got it with) and I’ll be set. I think I’ll see the same alignment/spacing problems using the Ford hub, Chevy backing plate, caliper and rotor as before but I don’t know. I’ll just have to see.

I didn't have my camera with me or I would have grabbed some pics. I'll try to remember it next time I tear into it.

-r

couple things...is your D60 rear 16 spline?

That makes sense on the basketball sized closed knuckle and hitting the calipers....I honestly have never seen that combo, cept for that strange pic Mr. N had. Is this a low pinion D44 front? I just think that if you run into too many issues I would not bother with that unit. You can get a housing from a 76-79 truck for less than $100 and start swapping parts over that you have bought (that will fit this ball joint axle). course that would leave you with the need for making into a leaf spring version if that is what you are set with, unless you found a 76+ HD44. I have a ton of pics of my D44 8lug chevy outer front (78 ford bronco axle) and D60 rear 77.5 F250 axle with chevy K20 discs at all corners if you are interested:

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=628&s=23277#content

Oh Mr. N, 4 piston caliper?

I used K20 calipers (large single piston) so that with just a little grinding I could fit 15x8", 8 lug wheels with 3.75" backspacing. Going to any other dual piston caliper will require way less backspacing (wheel will sit way further outward).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shadofax said:
couple things...is your D60 rear 16 spline?
Yeah, well it was but I found a set of 30 spline shafts that I’ll be putting in. my Detroit is on the way and it’s for 30 spline shafts with 4.10 gears. (Thanks MrN for the help finding the correct axles)

Shadofax said:
Is this a low pinion D44 front? I just think that if you run into too many issues I would not bother with that unit. You can get a housing from a 76-79 truck for less than $100 and start swapping parts over that you have bought (that will fit this ball joint axle). course that would leave you with the need for making into a leaf spring version if that is what you are set with, unless you found a 76+ HD44.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Specifically “that would leave you with the need for making into a leaf spring version”. I don’t want leaf, I have coil and would like to stay that way. Are you saying that I would somehow be forced to use a leaf setup with the 76-79? I don’t think that’s what you mean but I’m not sure. At this point I’m double, strike that, triple checking everything before I start hauling parts home.

I’m pretty much at the point where I’ll be looking for another front axle. I think I jumped on this axle before I had a good understanding of what I needed/wanted. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Shadofax said:
I have a ton of pics of my D44 8lug chevy outer front (78 ford bronco axle) and D60 rear 77.5 F250 axle with chevy K20 discs at all corners if you are interested:
I guess being that I’m in the Full Size Bronco forum it’s not that surprising that I’m not familiar with some Chevy terminology. What exactly are the K20 parts out of? There was a special at the junkyard last Saturday ($29.99 – all one person can carry in one trip – I couldn’t get the 460ci strapped to my back so no luck) so I picked up all the break parts I could off two early 80’s ¾ ton trucks. Are these the same parts as your K20 stuff?

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you make the caliper brackets for the back? I’ve see some bolt on (can’t do the weld on) for between 80 and 100 bucks but I sure I could get someone around here to make them for a little less.

So on a Ford ball joint 44 I should be able to take the entire Chevy outer knuckle and put right on the Ford inner knuckle. I think I’ve read some things about that while looking for 44HD topics but I’m not sure. If so that sounds like a clean and easy swap.

Thanks,

-r

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
When you said HDD44 that would mean leaf, not coil. Also is this high pinion or low pinion?

Yes, your 3/4T chevy stuff is the same thing as K20 chevy (K being 4x4 vs. C and 10/20/30 being 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shadofax said:
When you said HDD44 that would mean leaf, not coil. Also is this high pinion or low pinion?
Ah, I've got the ttb in there now. I have a shop here that has been helping me and they were going to help me with welding the new spring perches for the coils.
The solid HD44 I have now is a low pinion. If it would have worked I would have been fine with that but it is one more reason to look for another front end, hopefully a high pinion one. I suspect with 6 inches of lift on there now the low pinion will cause some drive shaft problems.
I need to do some studying to find out what trucks to look for in the junkyard.

Shadofax said:
Yes, your 3/4T chevy stuff is the same thing as K20 chevy (K being 4x4 vs. C and 10/20/30 being 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton.)
Thanks!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Billz4x4z said:
Get a open knuckle hp 44 and solve alot of the problems your gonna have with that close knuckle,,,,,,,,,
Agreed. And if you want to play with chevy outer stuff like I did, just get a good axle. All you really need is a bare housing, or maybe a housing with inner shafts and a good carrier/ring/pinion. Depending on what gears you have in the TTB you could reused those. You can find a housing typically for $50-100, it's not a biggy. It's pretty easy to spot what you are looking for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate it fellas!
Actually I had not thought about the fact that I could probably pick up an empty housing and fill it with parts from my two other 44’s.

Right now I’ve got my complete 44TTB and the complete HD44.
The HD has 4.09 gears that match the D60 I’m putting in so I’d like to use those but I’m wondering if I get a high pinion 44 doesn’t that change the cut on the gears. I’ve read about the reverse spiral cut gears and I think that’s what’s in the high pinion 44. So does that make my gears in the HD44 unusable for the high pinion 44?

I’ll do some axle size comparisons but hopefully I can reuse some of stuff I already have.

-r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts