Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time of the year again for the bronco to have an issue with the 4wd (you know ridiculously cold and it needs to work) 94 351w converted to manual hubs by po (found out while doing bearings last year). On to the issue, when hubs are locked a hard pull to the left and sometimes a thump thump at low speed when unlocked pulls a lil to the right. U joints are maybe 5 to 6 months old. Sometimes when engaged it really takes some throttle input to pull away from a stop, like more then a quarter petal on flat ground. Ideas? Dont have anywhere out of the cold so exploratory surgery isnt a great option.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
stock size tires?

how old is the front diff oil?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
33x12.50 15s diff fluid changed in may as part of my birthday gift. Old fluid was water contamination from my party.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
do you have any kind of a front locker or is it an open diff up front?
what weight oil did you put in?

used my 78 tonight,hovering around 0 deg f

when I went to drive away,it was sluggish as the transfer case and rear diff need some power to turn the molasses in them
when I engaged front axle, I again noticed a difference in drag

it does take quite a bit of power to turn two frozen diffs and transfer case

how is front driveshaft to axle u joints?

was the center u joint on the front diff changed too?
if that is seized it will be very hard to spin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open diff still and fluids were changed by ford so i would like to think they used the correct ones. U joints were done by ford in june for our yearly pocket padding oh i mean inspection. One was bad so i had all of them done along with wheel bearings and balljoints. Pa does not want old vehicles on the road so they nit pick the hell out of them, every year for inspection i seem to need balljoints and bearings or some other part that should have been fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts