Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I scored. I started doing some searching and found I may not have. I live next to the volunteer fire department. I asked a while ago if they had any old scba's they where gonna toss, I'm thinking on board air. Well wednesday I go to get a burn permit and the assistant cheif asks if I still want one. Score! Free bottle! So I start searching and I am finding out that I want C02 instead. Is this tank a lost cause or am I still going to get a usable amount of air when inflated to 2000 psi? Any help would be sweet, Baked:toothless

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
plug ugly said:
i think your issue would be finding someone who will fill it for you
I agree.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plug ugly said:
i think your issue would be finding someone who will fill it for you
With air? I think I can do it at the station. I know I cant get C02 in there wrong bottle. Will I get a useable amount of air? In other words is it going to be worth the cost to even buy the fitings and regulator? Thanks, Baked

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
you can get it filled at a paintball shop. Yea a scuba tank will work with co2

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
broncoorboat said:
you can get it filled at a paintball shop. Yea a scuba tank will work with co2

Not SCUBA tank, SCBA(firefighting).

Might not make a difference just pointing it out. I do think a SCUBA tank will hold more air though. SCUBA tanks are larger and charged to 3000psi or so. If I remember correctly the SCBA's we used when I taught firefighting in the Navy were only 2,200 psi.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i go to a fire extinguisher service place. cost like 10 bucks for my 10lb and $12 for my 20lb tanks.

i dont think paintball places can fill it. paintball tanks are charged to around 3000psi where the tanks i use are only 2000psi. 2000psi is safer

·
Registered
210 Posts
Make sure it has been presure the date on the tank is still good.You might have to get it tested again.I had a tank for paintball to refull my smaller tanks, and I had to get it recertified. I got it done were they fill fire exstingier . Hope this helps.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Most dive shops can fill it for you, just air though. I know my local one fills tanks for the local dept, both SCBA and their dive teams SCUBA tanks. HOpe that help.s:thumbup

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If the FD won't do your fills for you, anybody who fills SCUBA bottles (i.e. a dive shop or marina) should be able to do the SCBA bottle for you.

As for the amount of air, you will get tons out of that 2216psi SCBA bottle.

We can fill entire 14' inflatable rescue boats with less than a bottle, or run air tools for extended periods. You can fill a lot of tires on one bottle.

Get yourself a gauge and air tool adapter kit for that bottle (again from a dive shop, or industrial tool supplier), and you can run an impact or any other shop air tools on the trail.

Fastest tire changes on the trail! :rockon

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Not SCUBA tank, SCBA(firefighting).

Might not make a difference just pointing it out. I do think a SCUBA tank will hold more air though. SCUBA tanks are larger and charged to 3000psi or so. If I remember correctly the SCBA's we used when I taught firefighting in the Navy were only 2,200 psi.
oh whoops I use one of my old scuba tanks for refilling my paintball tanks now, i thought that was a typo

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Rob Ellis uses CO2 on his rock buggies...

What PSI bottle did you get? My fire dept uses 4500 psi bottles...used to use the 2200 psi ones we now use for portable air for low and high pressure airbags.

And I dont see the difference in CO2 vs air as far as volume goes. Maybe I'm wrong, but the same psi of CO2 should be the same as air.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
Chris85xlt said:
i go to a fire extinguisher service place. cost like 10 bucks for my 10lb and $12 for my 20lb tanks.
damn, i pay $20 (plus tax!) for my 10 lb. co2 at a welding supply house.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
thats what i was thinking, just use air instead of CO2. gotta be cheaper that way

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
you guys remember what happened to jaws when chiefy threw the tank in his mouth and shot it?
Sure, but if you're suggesting that they are dangerous...

If you are being shot at, holding on to or chewing on a compressed air bottle is the least of your worries. ;) :toothless

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I paid $ 80 for building my on board air, endless amounts of compressed air for the cheap.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
you guys remember what happened to jaws when chiefy threw the tank in his mouth and shot it?
Yeah and it was Hollywood BS. Mythbusters did a show on that. They shot a fully charged SCUBA tank in different locations and couldn't get them to explode. They won't blow up up but they will turn into a torpedo and take flight if punctured. It would take a lot to puncture one though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts