Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts
Discussion starter · #82 ·
also, the spring pads on the 10.5" axle are a bit wider/narrower?, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Slight pressure on the spring and the centering pin will go right into the hole in the pad.

mwalsh,

My axles are on jack stands in the final stages of prep. I have ALMOST everything to complete the swap. Still need a few bolts etc. small stuff. Is there any way you could take a measurement for placement of the front axle??? I'm gonna use a plum bob to get the tire just a smidge foward of the center of the fender opening. Curious where yours ended up.

I scored the front and rear axles out of a superduty in Iraq and brought them back. The guy that I got them from did not keep the arms or any of the brackets. Has anyone made a set of arms or bracket? I thought it would be nice to make some links that would allow flex.
On this forum a guy did just that. I believe it was TDMay or something like that. Should'nt be hard to find.

I scored the front and rear axles out of a superduty in Iraq and brought them back. The guy that I got them from did not keep the arms or any of the brackets. Has anyone made a set of arms or bracket? I thought it would be nice to make some links that would allow flex.
I have a set of stock arms for sale. Here's my build thread with the arms I built.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193877

Discussion starter · #89 ·
mwalsh,

My axles are on jack stands in the final stages of prep. I have ALMOST everything to complete the swap. Still need a few bolts etc. small stuff. Is there any way you could take a measurement for placement of the front axle??? I'm gonna use a plum bob to get the tire just a smidge foward of the center of the fender opening. Curious where yours ended up.
what exactly are you looking for a measurement of?

what exactly are you looking for a measurement of?
I didn't realize you had responded, I was hip deep in my swap at the time. I was looking for a exact number/ reference for the front spring buckets and radius arm brackets. But after another look at your pics and a little trial and error I figured it out.

What did you do for a E-brake cable??

I thought I had a solution in a custom shortened factory f-150 cable and it broke the second trip the truck made. A local motorcycle shop shortened the cable for me, they used silver solder to secure the end which pulled off.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
I didn't realize you had responded, I was hip deep in my swap at the time. I was looking for a exact number/ reference for the front spring buckets and radius arm brackets. But after another look at your pics and a little trial and error I figured it out.

What did you do for a E-brake cable??

I thought I had a solution in a custom shortened factory f-150 cable and it broke the second trip the truck made. A local motorcycle shop shortened the cable for me, they used silver solder to secure the end which pulled off.
zip tied everything to the frame and said I would get to it later.....its 2 years later and its still in the same place :rofl: I asked Dave Lott about his, and he had just moved the factory mounting bracket for the stock cables back a few inches I believe

Cool swap. Like the idea thats its almost a bolt in. With the wheels and tires how do they relate to the edge of the fender (front / rear fenders). Any pics down the side of the vehicle to see where the wheels/ tires are? The 05+ axles move the wheel mounting surface out 3 inches on each side right?

I want to run 10 inch wide rims with 4.5 BS on some 33x12.5's. Just want to plan so I know how much they will stick out. Have a late 70's D60 kingpin and trying to decide 05+ or using the kingpin axle I have.

Your truck looks great. Hows the mpg with the diesel in the bronco?

Discussion starter · #94 ·
How do the hubs work, are they a auto / locked switch like on the older superdutys, and if so how do you make the auto part functional?
yes they are auto/locked hubs. I removed the vacuum lines and put a pipe plug in the hole and use them like a regular locking hub. Only way to make the auto part functional would be to put in some sort of vacuum switch I would imagine.

Cool swap. Like the idea thats its almost a bolt in. With the wheels and tires how do they relate to the edge of the fender (front / rear fenders). Any pics down the side of the vehicle to see where the wheels/ tires are? The 05+ axles move the wheel mounting surface out 3 inches on each side right?

I want to run 10 inch wide rims with 4.5 BS on some 33x12.5's. Just want to plan so I know how much they will stick out. Have a late 70's D60 kingpin and trying to decide 05+ or using the kingpin axle I have.

Your truck looks great. Hows the mpg with the diesel in the bronco?
Thanks, I dont have any pictures, but with the 05+ rims the wheels sit perfectly under the truck, the axle is about 3" wider in total, not each side.

There isnt any overhang at all. Keep in mind that this suspension stock will give you 3" of lift over the old one.

i guess i need sd coil buckets so my springs don't toe inwards, yours seems pretty strait but do you think those sd springs will be too stiff? i'm gonna search for some coil buckets cuz mine toe in a bit too much for my liking. looks great, let me know if you need some help since i did this same swap. rear driveshaft i had to shorten and get different u joints welded on the shafts to mate up to the larger axles. the front shaft had to be shortened too. i used my original coil springs from my old lift on mine because i never could find stock sd coil buckets anywhere.

looks good!!!!!!!!
what did you do fore drive shafts I'm curious I plan on attempting this swap but id like to know how you built your drive shafts to ensure they are correctly done. Thank you sweet build by the way :rockon

what did you do fore drive shafts I'm curious I plan on attempting this swap but id like to know how you built your drive shafts to ensure they are correctly done. Thank you sweet build by the way :rockon
Staying coil?
Measure your front d.shaft right now, with the truck just sitting in the driveway. Then measure it again removed, fully compressed. When the straight axle is in, measure the length itll need to be when sitting in the driveway, and compare to your original shaft. With those 3 #'s, any driveline shop will be able to build you a proper d.shaft:thumbup

Discussion starter · #98 ·
my front shaft is stock, I cant remember if it was stock Bronco, or OBS F-350 though, all that was needed was a conversion joint at the axle. On the rear, I had to have the shaft shortened, cant remember how much, but 1.5" comes to mind. I need to adjust pinion angle though, it vibrates above 70

Mwalsh,
First-thanks for posting this, I read about a 4wheeler swapping a super60 from an F550 into their F350...So I decided to swap one into my '91 F150 standard cab. I bought the axle and started building it up (ARB airlocker and new everything). I am in paint now and will be bolting this thing up within a month. Then I found this thread and it was a HUGE relief, this is my first attempt at SASing and I have a lot of questions.

I have seen the question asked but not yet answered, how did you index the radius arm brackets? What is the distance from the spring bucket index point (what point did you use) to the index point where the radius arm bracket is mounted (what did you use as the reference there)?

I have the radius arm brackets and have sent CT performance a request about the suspension stabilizer bracket you mentioned (thanks for that!).

Do I need to swap the steering box, pitman arm, all of it or none of it? I take it I need the spring buckets? I was looking at them and while they look slightly different than stock the dimensions looked close to me.

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate any help you can offer!

81 - 100 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.