Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can answer this for me, but I am looking to find out what a specific electrical component is called. The truck is a 2008 F450 work truck (bare bones) 4x2 with a 5.4 and an automatic trans. The component is a small black box that is mounted just up under the dash that bunch of various wires feed into just to the right of the steering column. I tried to follow it around under the dash and it looks like most of it follows the harness out under the hood. A friend of mine asked me because he wanted to wire something into one of the wires that leads into this box. I dont know what it is or what it does and if he taps into it will there be a problem.

I dont see him too often since he works a lot (towing) so I dont know if I can get a pic. Maybe someone has a diagram?

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked alldata for any info but it doenst list a 450 with a 5.4?...maybe you have the wrong engine size?
I thought it was the 5.4 since its a gasser, but it might be a v10. I'll call him later to find out.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
its a v10.

If its what Im thinking from your description its the second relay box. the fuel pump relay and I believe flasher relay are there. dont tap them.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, now there is a problem. I spoke with him this morning and he told me there is now a slight problem with his truck. I guess he tried to hard wire up his radar detector before I could get back to him. He said he used a thick white wire with a light colored stripe for the constant (He is colorblind and cannot see what color the stripe is) and while he was probing it, he caused a very small spark when he got too close to the dash. The switched power was tapped into an unused wire that was in the harness and capped.

Now he says the truck will crank immediately when he turns the key to the 'on' position and will not stop. Also, the truck does not fire up. What do you think could have happened? Im going to stop by his house after I get out of work to see what I can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts