Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am in the process of designing my brackets etc... for my 1 ton swap.

Would I be able to make a 1 piece bracket instead of using the stock bracket from a bronco, and a drop piece. So basically it only has one rotating point on the springs, versus 2 points, one on the spring and one on the bracket to the drop mount.

I hope that makes sense

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
It does to me what he wants to do is on his shackle flip is eliminate the shackle that bolts to the spring and to the shackle mount. So instead of the spring having 2 pivot points before it is attached to the frame it only has 1. I'm sure this can be done if you have the time money skills and tools. I am out and about can't sit down and look at mine to come up with any kind of design. I will look later.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Ive got a couple pics here, not gonna be the greatest but I will explain the best I can. Thanks for the input so far and hopefully this helps it make sense.

Ok the pic on the top is Heftys shackle flip. If you look at the bottom part of heftys bracket it is where the bigger bracket on the bottom attaches via bolt. The spring then attaches to the bottom of that bracket (Pic on bottom). My question is this: is it going to affect the performance if I combine the two brackets into one, thus creating only 1 rotating point (like stock) for the spring

Attachments

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I was thinking you should build a bracket similar to the one you have a pic of I would think it would handle better than a standard shackle flip with the 2 pivot points.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would think that if one pivot point would work, or even be better, then thats how ford or any of several other manufacturers of lift kits would have built their kits...

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Not only that but your truck would be one stiff riding mo-fo, your springs need to keep moving. I would think your t-case and driveshafts would be in danger if you did that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are talking about just the hanger that bolts to the frame, then bolting the leaf spring to that you are in for a pretty rough ride.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I wasnt sure about it is all. I appreciate the input and will keep it all in mind while I fab these brackets up

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
As springs are compressed, they get longer in length. How is one pivot point going to allow for the length change?

BTW, the bracket you keep referring to that links the spring to the spring hanger is called a shackle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts