Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 ton axle backspacing?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  GearHead 
#1 ·
OK, I am trying to figure what bs to run with the 60 and the sterling, so i am looking for some measurements for the sterling please.
On my sas 44, with 3.75 bs, the inner bead to bead of the wheels on 15x10's is 58". my buddy with a 60 and 4.25 bs is 61 and daves is supposedly 65 with 2.75 bs,
SO, what I am trying to ascertain is what are the various distances on sterling rears with various backspacings.Could some of you, any of you, please take some measurements of what you have and let me konw what they are (again from the inner bead on the wheel to the other side inner bead on the wheel) and then let me know what bs you have.
so you know, this is all to keep radius arm rubbing to a minimum with the new 60 thats going in.
thanks all

#13 ·
plug ugly said:
thanks guys.
For now i ordered 15x10 with 4.25 bs. i will see if I can get those to fit first. As in my first post, I like the idea of moving the tires out from 58 to 61", but 65 is way wide I think.
yup. it is wide. but my d60 is 69" and you can see the difference.

So well see how it works. then I may consider 16x10's, though I would like to stay with 15's
what tires are you going to run? R16 tires seem to be getting the shaft. i'm thinking about going to 17x10s so I can run either a gy mtr or a bfg mt.

#14 ·
tired of the PJ's ?

As of now, I am going MTR's again, 37's, but have really been considering 38.5 TSL's. I don really drive the bronco much anymore, but really dont wanna sacrifice the road ride for when I do. So far, I love he MTR's, but with the 60 I am going to start wheeling a lot harder lines, etc and so now I am sorta stuck in decision the making process

#15 ·
Hey Damon, I meant to tell you-- I went with the 1 ton master a few months ago-- day and night difference. I didn't even change out the booster and I left all the ABS stuff alone. The performance and pedal feel are great now.

Anyhoo.

The PJs are tough and perform pretty well, but I think I want to drop down to a 12.5 width. As you know, the wider tires like to follow every rut in the road. The PJs are also heavy too and I only have the 5.0. I am going to add a winch soon and am trying the keep the overall weight down.

I will probably stick with them for awhile tho unless I was able to sell them at a fair price.

But, yeah, it looks like neither GY or BFG make a 37" for a 16" rim so I'm thinking about 17s in the future.

#17 ·
how bad are they on the road zach?

JOJO, I would steer clear of the BFG IMO. I have seen to many sidewall issues with them, unless you are talking the crawlers, of which I have no experience or opinion tho I hear they are ultra soft. Another consideration with 17's is I have 'heard' people are having bead issues unless ther are beadlocked. Again, no first hand knowledge here, but maybe something to investigate before you do the swap.
Glad to hear the mc worked out well for you. I have often wondered if my softer pedal was the result of the increased booster giving too much, or just crappy rear wheel cylinders from autozone(they dont leak so I ASSume they are working properly). Is your 60 the single or dual pistons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.