Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been trying to educate myself on axles to swap into my '79 Bronco, and have a bead on a nice set of axles from a late 80's F350, D60/Sterling 10.25. I have read in these forums (searched:goodfinge) that the spring perches on the sterling will bolt right up with the right U bolts. I have also read here that the perches will need to be relocated.

Which is right? I am going to go measure my Bronco tomorrow, but I think it is 32" spacing between the rear leafs, as opposed to 36" on the sterling. School me!!

Also, I found that the front D60 (leaf) will be 36". Has anybody leaf sprung a 78-79 with a later model D60? Help me out guys, I don't jump on here with dumb questions all that often and don't want to miss this deal if the axles will work.

BF

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I couldn't help myself and went out with a fashlight and measured. Looks like the front is 32" and the rear more like 42". I will be running 38x12.50 with 4" or 6" of lift if it matters.

BF

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
you can make them fit... get them or you will forever be kicking yourself... the rear axle should bolt up if the pickup it came out of is a SRW. the front will take some fab work, all depends if you want leafs or keep the coils. but they will work for ya..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Impossible - it cannot be done...

Oh whoops - I guess we just did it :D

Drop brackets getting hacked off - new bushings in last night and tonight we make DOM arm exstentions and a new trans x-member.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can make them fit... get them or you will forever be kicking yourself... the rear axle should bolt up if the pickup it came out of is a SRW. the front will take some fab work, all depends if you want leafs or keep the coils. but they will work for ya..
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on running leafs up front for the sake of ease and cost, but we'll see I guess.

Impossible - it cannot be done...

Oh whoops - I guess we just did it :D

Drop brackets getting hacked off - new bushings in last night and tonight we make DOM arm exstentions and a new trans x-member.

Thanks for the pix Kyle. I thought there was a lot less room between the pumpkin and left axle end than your pic shows.

BF

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks for the pix Kyle. I thought there was a lot less room between the pumpkin and left axle end than your pic shows.

BF
No problem - I left it huge for the detail.

That is a 1986 Dana 60 - a 78 or 79 D60 will look exactly like your D44 (as for width)

Here is the rear -

I'm not sure what kind of modification (if any) it took to get it to fit like this. We got uber lucky and picked up the D60/Sterling combo that came out of a 78'.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
tonight we make DOM arm exstentions and a new trans x-member.
if i were you i would rethink the extentions. i did that to my arms and ended up bending them. i have a arm radius arm build in the tec section..
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122054

also it looks like the rear was just a bolt in, so originally it must have beem a SRW vehicle..
so BigfootWannabe even if its not a SRW rear axle all you have to do is move the spring perch out about 2.5 inches on each side. thats what i had to do on my rear axle. the front axle is not all that hard, even with keeping the coils. just takes alot of time test fittin and grinder work.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
if i were you i would rethink the extentions. i did that to my arms and ended up bending them. i have a arm radius arm build in the tec section..
We are only planning to extend them 4 or 5 inches (where it is mostly sleeved anywase) so we can get hiem joints on the ends of the arms. This is a fix until he gets Cage arms...

Think they will bend being so short?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
We are only planning to extend them 4 or 5 inches (where it is mostly sleeved anywase) so we can get hiem joints on the ends of the arms. This is a fix until he gets Cage arms...

Think they will bend being so short?
mine were(and the new ones i made) 6 inches longer than stock. if its just a short term thing it should be ok. it was about a year before i bent mine..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
mine were(and the new ones i made) 6 inches longer than stock. if its just a short term thing it should be ok. it was about a year before i bent mine..
Ok - yeah, I dont think he will be running these for a year. I've got 3 spare arms sitting in the garage as well. It looks like the stock arms bent, not the extended arms - looks like it puts a lot more leverage on it then normal and causes the bend. Thanks for your input!

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
ya the stock part of the arm bent. the dom didn't. he should be ok. like you said just short term.. i wheel my pickup pritty hard too so that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
ya the stock part of the arm bent. the dom didn't. he should be ok. like you said just short term.. i wheel my pickup pritty hard too so that had something to do with it.
Yeah - this should be beat on decently well as well. Thanks for your input.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
what you see on the outside is only part of it....

-the last 3-4 inches of "I" beam by the stud was filled in with a piece of 3/8" plate then welded good
-the 2.25"x.25 wall DOM goes about half way up that filled in part.
-the plate is on the outside of the I beam it was 3 or 4" x1/4" thick. trimmed the excess after welding.
-inside the DOM on the stud are 2 big nuts welded to the stud then the inside of the DOM one at a time.
-topped off with a 1-1/4" heim.

so far they have been great. :toothless

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hehe - what was this thread about again?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe - what was this thread about again?
I don't remember...:goodfinge

Oh yeah, so considering the difference in width should I keep the coils or go leaf sprung? If I go leafs, do I build 2" offset shackels? Sounds ghetto fab to me? How about coils, the buckets will be 2" outboard of stock? I know I would have to weld wedges onto the axle tube, but I thought the pumpkin would interfere with the proper spacing.

I am getting the axles BTW.

BF

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't remember...:goodfinge

Oh yeah, so considering the difference in width should I keep the coils or go leaf sprung? If I go leafs, do I build 2" offset shackels? Sounds ghetto fab to me? How about coils, the buckets will be 2" outboard of stock? I know I would have to weld wedges onto the axle tube, but I thought the pumpkin would interfere with the proper spacing.

I am getting the axles BTW.

BF
The offset works - we did it and the coil buckets are in the stock location. GO coils -

·
Registered
106 Posts
the pumkin doesn't interfer. mine's a 88 d60. I ground the perch round then did a little trimmin to the leaf perch and it fit good. you will have to trim the c's a good fit. i'll get some picks of it up before i put it under my 79'

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the pumkin doesn't interfer. mine's a 88 d60. I ground the perch round then did a little trimmin to the leaf perch and it fit good. you will have to trim the c's a good fit. i'll get some picks of it up before i put it under my 79'
The pix would be appreciated. I hope to be starting the swap by summer's end. Thinking about using the Cage RA kit w/D60 brackets. But that =$$$$ so i'm really thinking it through first.

BF

1 - 20 of 23 Posts