Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the noob question but how do i tell if its a full float or semi float?

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
wrong forum....moved, and to answer your question if the tire bolts to the axle shaft ifs a semi-float, if you can remove the axle shaft with out taking off the tire its a full float.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so how do i tell just by looking at it? And is the semi float worth having?

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
got a pic?...if not search the net for a pic of a full floater and a semi floater and take them with you when you go look at the axle.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what part of the axle do you need a pic of? and is the semi float worth having. Ill be running a 393 with sd and probably 35's with 4.56

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
take a shot of the wheel/hub area...I really dont know the strength of the semi-float but my understanding is the full floaters are pretty strong, just like the chevy 14 bolts, just remember its a 8 lugh hub.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah im doing a front axle swap as well. I bought a sterling for 100 bucks. And didnt do my research.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If it looks like this, its a full float

If the hub is flat, without that big thing sticking out with the 8 bolts in it, its a semi-float.

It would look like this, except with 8 lugs

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts
A semi float axle won't have anything poking out where the wheel attaches, like on your stock rear axle.
A full float axle will have a hub poking out through the wheel, similar to your front axle (minus the lockout)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well its a semi-float. Should i sell it and buy something else?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I wouldn't waste the effort in swapping it in to anything when the full floats are so easy to find.

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts
I would buy something else, the full floater design is stronger, easier to service, safer, and has better parts availability, based on what I have seen in junkyards.
The semi floater is lighter and may be plenty strong for you though, search more and decide for yourself.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
A full float axle won't have anything poking out where the wheel attaches, like on your stock rear axle.
A semi float axle will have a hub poking out through the wheel, similar to your front axle (minus the lockout)
You just said it backwards.

full float=hub sticking out
semi= no hub, looks like the center of a 8.8.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I wouldn't waste the effort in swapping it in to anything when the full floats are so easy to find.
:stupid

They are a dime a dozen, at least around here. Incidentally, I have a couple sets of 4.10 gears and a track-lok that need a new home. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I would buy something else, the full floater design is stronger, easier to service, safer, and has better parts availability, based on what I have seen in junkyards.
The semi floater is lighter and may be plenty strong for you though, search more and decide for yourself.
:stupid
ditto. Unless youre getting this thing and a rebuild for free or something dont do it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Do they even make a 10.25 in semi-float?

I don't believe I've ever seen one......

Must be talking D60, no?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts