Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One man 8 Point Cage Buildup... Process Pics

Looks like ill be building this cage all by myself. Which is pretty cool since i work better when nobody is around. I always feel rushed when im being helped. Ill be posting pics daily as i work on it.. Its gonna take a couple of days so keep checking back for more pics. Reason for posting all these pics is that i, myself, like going through posts on Pirate and here that show lots of process pics.. Makes it more enjoyable than a before and after shot.. Plus i can get some advice on what to change and what to add along the way.. So please feel free to say, "hey d%##@$$ thats not gonna work" etc..

Day one...
Went to the metal supply place and picked up 8... 4"x4"x1/4" steel plates with a 9/16 hole punched in the middle. I then welded 1/2" Grade 8 nuts centered on the plates. Here is the idea im going for.. The mount which is in green will be different.. I just used that in the sketch since it looks like a body mount which is basically what im trying to accomplish..
Light Blue is the tube for the cage.
Gray is the plate with the nut welded to it that will be welded to the body
Yellow is the body
Blue is a rubber body mount
Green is the mount that will be welded to the frame.
A bolt will go in through the bottom, through the rubber bushing and into the plate where the nut is welded.

I located the plates on the truck where i want the points to be, scribed the outline and punched a hole in the middle, drilled out the hole then cleaned up underneath to get a clean welding surface.. Here is a shot of one welded in.

Took the top off so i could get some airflow..

Got all 8 cleaned up and ready to weld on.. Only got 3 welded in though. Ill do the rest tomorrow then start bending up some tube..

All covered up for the night.

Stay tuned for more..

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
looks saweet without the top, now leave it off and just put the soft top on! the cage is surely goin to be awesome based on the quality of the other stuff you have done! are you planning on racing harnesses?

wes

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What size is that car cover? I need to find one for mine since it just sits outside and I never drive it anymore.

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ZOSO said:
What size is that car cover? I need to find one for mine since it just sits outside and I never drive it anymore.
Its a ford f150 cover. got it at autozone a while back.. works real good.. it rained once when i had the top off and the cover on and it literally had a pool of water in the back.. none of it made it in.. i think it was like 39 bucks.

BucKinBroNcO said:
i think tou should have light mounts on top of the cage so when the top is off you can put some lights on it
I have a soft top ready to go on..

wes 03 said:
RAF, DO A FLEX TEST ON THE T-BIRD!!!
it looks so vulnerable there, DO IT!!
wes
Ive asked.. A cousin of mine is supposed to come get the tbird.. I just wanna take it to the junkyard..

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
cool, lots of pictures is nice. that way i can see your mistakes and now what not to do :goodfinge

I will be starting my cage here in the next week or so also

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Bronkzilla said:
yup.. thats what im here for.. Also, Fireguy doesnt read anything so the more pictures the better..
I see's me name wreten abuve, yho peples takling buet me, or neds mie asistenc? :brownbag

1 - 20 of 357 Posts