Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked about 1000 times, but what is a good 110v welder? I intend on narrowing a ford cab, so it needs to be able to weld together thin sheet metal and tack backets and such together. For deep welds i'll use a pro shop. Basically gonna use it to reweld a body back together and to mock up fabricated brackets. Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
i have the lincoln weld pack 100hd mig. it works well for what i use it for. it does sheet metal prettywell.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the difference between flux core and gass?? Im a noob here. My dad raised me on stick and thats all i've ever used!

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Whats the difference between flux core and gass?? Im a noob here. My dad raised me on stick and thats all i've ever used!
in short, flux core sucks, and gas is way better...

with gas, there is shielding gas used. with flux core, you use different wire (flux core wire) which costs quite a bit more, but it doesn't need gas... gas is a lot nicer to work with than flux core too. i'd recommend getting a welder that accepts gas, that way you have the ability.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, im gonna try to narrow a 1963 f100 cab 8" so i need a good welder that does not require 210 or cost me an arm and a leg to get the job done. I live in a duplex, so i have no garage, so at the end of the day i need to be able to pack it up and take it inside!

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
The Lincoln 140 would be the one I'd recommend.

I have a 180 I use for smaller stuff and a big stick machine for heavy work.

There's nothing wrong with flux core, but it's way less convenient for sheet metal work than something with shielding gas. Flex core is basically like stick, only the flux is on the inside.

You can stick weld sheet metal too, but it's not quite so easy :toothless

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
I have the Lincoln Weld Pak 140 HD. In the price range it is the best welder I have used. When I bought it I got $100 off at Home depot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I prefer flux core since you can weld outdoors in windy days, also will weld even though the metal has rust or paint. Gas makes a much nicer and cleaner weld though. Oh and the flux core usually welds metal that is a lil thicker also. I would recommend a machine that does both.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, im gonna take a trip over to sears later on this week and see what they have to offer....How do you guys feel about buying used?? Anything to look out for when buying used?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
thanks guys, im gonna take a trip over to sears later on this week and see what they have to offer....How do you guys feel about buying used?? Anything to look out for when buying used?
dont see anything wrong with buying used. sometimes you can find a guy who bought an expensive welder used it very little and is selling for real cheap. sometimes i wish i had bought used. i could have gotten more for the money.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craigslist find: Lincoln weld pack 140 HD NIB $325?? Whatta ya think?? No warranty and such though!

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Craigslist find: Lincoln weld pack 140 HD NIB $325?? Whatta ya think?? No warranty and such though!
i paid $400 for my 100hd. id say check it out. if its in good shape and everything works and it hasnt been abused then id get it.might wanna sleep on it though.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its new in box, never opened or used. Prolly stolen or something? And i dont need to sleep on it!....Im broke till friday:doh0715:

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
G
Its new in box, never opened or used. Prolly stolen or something? And i dont need to sleep on it!....Im broke till friday:doh0715:
Maybe,if your worried it may be stolen make shure the
Guy has a receipt or proof of perchase.if he says he bought like that from some other Guy that could be a warning flag. If he can't prove he bought it then he probably stole it.better to spend the time and find a used on then to take a risk on buying stolen property.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, im gonna give the dude a call on friday and see what kind of story he gives me, see if i cant knock him down a bit on the welder!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a weldpack 100, but only because it was 125 in a pawn shop. Wil work for me teaching myself to weld, once I have the skill to tackle bigger projects I'll upgrade to something with shielding gas and a bit more power.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hobart handler 140, I love it. You can start with flux core, then upgrade to gas with it... It comes with the hose and regulator as well.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
I looked at many used welders before I bought new. Almost all of them did not seem to weld very well.

I talked to a welder and he said most people don't pay attention to the duty cycles and trash there welders. Possibly what was going on with the used ones I looked at.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts