Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been seeing this ad banner for amsoil claiming you'll only have to change your oil once a year...i dont think i would ever be comfortable with that nor do i even qualify for the guarantee but i just want to get some other peoples opinions on that

·
Registered
468 Posts
12 months is a common interval for most synthetic extended service oils. A lot depends on the driving conditions, miles driven, and the overall condition of the engine itself....But with a high quality extended service oil filter and robust synthetic oil with good additive pack it's not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I only put 3500-4500 miles a year on mine, I could actually go 2 years on an oil change. But I change it once a year just to prevent sludge build up. Hopefully its enough.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have went that long on my 78,but it only went a few hundred miles in that time
it always got fully warmed up though when ever I started it

oil is cheap ,whenever it starts to get dirty I change it

but everything I have is old and has a carb

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Here's an example, I run Mobil one 15w-50 full syn in my 71 dodge demon 340 with a Mobil one oil filter, rebuilt fresh engine and I've changed it once a year or the last 3 or 4 years, but of course I maybe only put 1,000-2,000 miles on it a year driving to car shows every month in the spring, summer and fall and driving around town every once and awhile.

Point is would I wait a year to change the oil In my daily driver? No way, regardless of what brand oil I was running, I change my oil in my bronco every 3,000 miles.
Period.
I don't go by the 3 month part of it mainly because I drive about 20 miles a day sometimes more and 3,000 miles comes up quicker than 3 months.
I'm running Mobil one full syn in my bronco now and still change it at 3,000.
Force of habit lol, I know I can prob go 5,000 maybe 6,000 miles on full syn but I just can't do it, for how cheap oil is why not change it every 3,000 regardless of oil type

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I am at about 6 months and 1000 miles on my last oil change in the Bronco. My DD gets one every 3k-ish and that takes about 4 months. I base my oil changes mostly on miles, and how my gut feels about it... Changes are that I will probably change the oil on the Bronco before it reaches the 3k mark. You note one year on the amsoil claim, but dont note mileage. Are they using the national average for their 12 month claim???

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
The only way to know how your oil is doing is to get it analyzed. It's pretty cheap (35 bucks) and gives you hard data to know how your oil is doing.

Oils are NOT all the same, as my experience showed. Even a "high quality" full synthetic was not all that high quality once I compared different oils under analysis.

Here is my thread I started with my oil reports.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258937

I'll be changing my oil in my Audi at 11k miles next month or so. I'll get it analyzed then and post the results in that thread.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you go with a proven high quality modern oil then changing it every 3k like we've been doing for many decades is nothing but a waste of money. This is a fact.

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
Will Amsoil pay for the engine if it wears out after a few 12-month oil change intervals? Does that written guarantee apply to engines that already have 200~600Kmi on them before using the Amsoil? Is your truck exempt from any other fine print exclusions in this written guarantee? If you answered "no" OR "I don't know" to any of those questions... :shrug

I'll stick with 3Kmi intervals & common high-quality oil. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
The oil may be good, but your oil also cleans your motor which means there is dirt, carbon, and metal in your oil. This is why you need to change it regularly, and if it sits for long periods of time moisture via condensation gets into your oil.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Will Amsoil pay for the engine if it wears out after a few 12-month oil change intervals? Does that written guarantee apply to engines that already have 200~600Kmi on them before using the Amsoil? Is your truck exempt from any other fine print exclusions in this written guarantee? If you answered "no" OR "I don't know" to any of those questions... :shrug
You could use the oil analyze service and actually know how long you can go with changing your oil instead of, again, wasting your money every 3k miles.

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
Hmmm... $25 to change the oil? Or $50 to analyze it, THEN $25 to change it... :scratchhe

I think I'll stick with just changing it. :thumbup My Bronco's engine has over 650Kmi without a rebuild, and I'm not bankrupt yet, so I'll keep on wasting. I had the CV's oil analyzed after the ~3rd change on the replacement engine, and it showed almost no wear, but it gets M1 and I let it go for ~5Kmi between changes.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Hmmm... $25 to change the oil? Or $50 to analyze it, THEN $25 to change it... :scratchhe
Either way is fine in my opinion. I don't plan on analyzing it every oil change once I establish whats normal, and with this new oil I haven't had enough samples to know for sure. If wear is normal next time I'll skip one.

My oil changes cost about 40 dollars. Safely extending the interval from 5k-10k miles saves me 40 bucks every 10k. I spend that 40 bucks on my oil scan, and I end up with free information on how my engine is doing.

I went from Royal Purple full synthetic to a Brad Penn partial synthetic and my wear dramatically decreased. Had I not had the analyses done, I may have kept using the shitty Royal Purple. And without these analyses, anybody's opinion is really invalid; simply conjecture.

The cost of the scans was well worth it for me to avoid the high wear of the inferior oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah the warrantee says theyll replace damaged parts if covered under their warrantee within1 year or 25000 miles but it pretty much has to be stock and flaw free to qualify amd it seems like a headache to even file a claim

·
Registered
475 Posts
I vote for 5-6k miles between changes. Oil filter every other. I'm using 5w-20. I drive my Bronco roughly 20k miles a year.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I vote for 5-6k miles between changes. Oil filter every other. I'm using 5w-20. I drive my Bronco roughly 20k miles a year.
I vote hell no on that. Your gonna run an oil filter for 10-12k miles? And exactly what kind of driving are you doing and what Kind of oil are you using?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts