1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
1) It would help if you had the right link.

2) If you are paying more than $130.00 then you are paying to much.

3) You can get a 160 amp Beavco Alternator New, with lifetime warranty for apx $160.00. Just call Glen at Beavco Performance number is 815-968-2909.
They only sell wholesale, so if you dont have a business liscence then you will have to pay him via Paypal.

Hope this helps.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I have had one for over a year, no problems, I run two Optima red tops pretty hard and I have never had any power or charging problems whatsoever.

"Others" have bought bigger and better but have had some pretty bad problems :cough: Brieldo :cough: but you didnt hear that from me.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does that sound like a good deal even though it's a used alternator? should i just go for it and see what happens with it, or get one from somewhere else?

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone else besides beerman gonna comment or anything on this. i would like to get this if it sounds like a good deal and will fit my 87 with no problems. does anyone know if it has an internal regulater? a stock alternator has an internal regulator, right? sorry if that is a stupid question. i know it has 2 wire harnesses that plug into it, so it must have an internal regulator.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Sorry dude. Seems I'm about 20minutes too late.
That looked like a great deal. I have a place here in town that could re-build it if it needed and you'd still be ahead.

Check to see if that guy puts it back on eBay, or e-mail him about it. You might get lucky.

I can make you a harness for a 3G once you get it for about $20

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's no problem ryan. i'm sure it's still on ebay cause last time i checked, there were no bids on it. what would have to be done to change the wiring harness?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
you have to strip all the wiring out all the way back to a single green / red wire. Connect the new 3G wiring to that wire and to the alt. Then run a 4gauge abttery cable from the alt over to the starter seloniod

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I'll sell you an almost new one for $70 w/ a two week warranty. If you're really serious about it, I'll take a pic of it but it'll be a while before I post the pic cuz my camera is USB and my computer doesn't have a USB port.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dustball, how old is the alternator? how many amps is it putting out? is it a 3g alternator? thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ah, controversy mounts yet again:

Yes, I bought a bigger, better alternator...and how did it go bad...the brushes got dirty. Nothing failed, nothing was defective...the brushes just got enough dirt on them to where they werent making a good connection.

Iraggi Alternators
615-287-7991

tell him that Ben Brielmaier sent you.

And for beerman...nice try.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey dustball, take a pic of the alternator for me. that would be great. i might not jump and buy one right away, i'm gonna change my battery cables from 4 gauge to 2 gauge. i measured them last night, and i'm gonna pick up the cable and stuff on saturday and change them. i was gonna grease my front u-joints last night, but didn't see any grease fittings, must be spicer u-joints. 4 wheel drive works, but i need to get rid of my automatic locking hubs in favor of manual locking hubs, cause i heard the t-case wanting to engage, but the first time i went thru the mud puddle, i was in 2 wheel drive then i drove slow and heard the t-case kick in. it was nice. now i need to get the holes in the floor fixed then i'll really slop around in the mud.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Speaking of 2awg...I have 40 feet of it. If anybdoy wants some, let me know. Its red jacketed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts