Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well in my case ESAB locker. I thought I'd post this since I had to join a few Cheby forums to get all the info I needed for the 14 bolt I just purchased. Maybe this will save some time for the next person. I know, I know, chevy into a Ford is just wrong, but it's cheap and I am running out of time. I found this FF 14 with 5.13's and discs already installed for $400, couldn't pass it up. The only thing left to do was weld the spiders and put her in.
I realize this method goes against everything we know when it comes to welding spiders, but this is the way 90% of the chevy guys do theirs and haven't seen any with problems yet, so I followed their lead.
For us ford guys, the procedure is to weld the spiders to eachother, then to the carrier, and then fill in the opening and weld some more. The 14 is different. you can weld the spiders into a big ball which will look just like a Detroit. Then install it into the untouched carrier. This way you can always pull it back out and replace with new spiders(open) or detroit reusing your original carrier if you wish. Anyway here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I tacked it all up before removing from the carrier, just be sure everything was good and straight.
Next I welded the spiders as much as I could, before stuffing them full of nuts and bolts (yes....ghetto-fab)!!

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I burned it all in really good, allowing it to cool SLOWLY. I grinded on it for a bit, then cleaned it up with the flapper wheel. Pretty simple really. I'm still debating on welding it to the carrier just for extra strength, but not sure.

Attachments

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
hahaha fun with welders. gotta love the amazing ghetto fab that actually works great on the trails. i wouldn't weld it to the carrier, you will never break that giant ball of goo you created!

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
i like it. i didn't do as much on mine, but its solid.

Just watch tacking it. went a little heavy on one side of mine and it pulled up just a hair. Made it fit a little tighter in the carrier, but still works.

don't weld it to the carrier, its pointless with that ball of steel you created.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like it. i didn't do as much on mine, but its solid.

Just watch tacking it. went a little heavy on one side of mine and it pulled up just a hair. Made it fit a little tighter in the carrier, but still works.

don't weld it to the carrier, its pointless with that ball of steel you created.
yep too late. i must have pulled one side of mine up a bit or warped it a little. One axle shaft wouldn't slide in easily, took a few wacks from a rubber mallet to get it all the way seated. Trying to decide if I should pull it again or let it ride. Probably just missed some weld splatter..... I hope!

·
Registered
980 Posts
yep too late. i must have pulled one side of mine up a bit or warped it a little. One axle shaft wouldn't slide in easily, took a few wacks from a rubber mallet to get it all the way seated. Trying to decide if I should pull it again or let it ride. Probably just missed some weld splatter..... I hope!
I'de leave it be if thats all you had to use was a rubber mallet, you should be ok, it just may be a bitch to get out if you break a axle, just make sure it works right. nice job on Da-Ball

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know, I know, chevy into a Ford is just wrong, but it's cheap and I am running out of time.
I know it's a Chevy axle... But it's the best rear axle out there, in my opinion. Strong, good aftermarket, affordable, and really easy to setup the gears!! I run a 14 Bolt in my truck too. And I did the same thing as you, welded the spiders together the same, with a little less weld. But, thus far, it has held up great.

I'd definitely just let that ride. If all it took was a rubber mallet, you're good to go. I had to wack mine in with a rubber mallet as well.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait... I thought you had a 10.25 that you were putting in?
I do, but just the gears alone would have cost more than I paid for the 14, plus I have a pre-92 10.25 short pinion, which nobody reputable makes a 5.13 R&P for. After a lot of research, the upgrade to a long pinion version which was needed in order to get 5.13's was more time and $$. This deal popped up and I jumped on it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts