Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to make some ubolt plates for my 14 bolt, and for the dana 60, hopefully sometime this evening. Using plate steel for this, how thick of a material should I use? Also, what known stock Ubolt plates will work for these applications, in case anyone else should need these answers as well?

14 bolt w/ 3" wide springs - Dana 70 spring plates? Any others?

D60 front - Driver side is custom because of 4" Ubolt, I don't know of any stockers that will work here? Pass side, what will work with a 2.5" wide chevy spring, and what will work with a 3" wide ford spring?

Thanks for any input! :beer

·
Registered
912 Posts
3/8" Stock is 1/4"

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Franklin said:
3/8" Stock is 1/4"
Yup, but its 1/4" with ribs in it, so go 3/8"

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
81Bronk36 said:
Yup, but its 1/4" with ribs in it, so go 3/8"
Correct, this will just be flat steel, no ribs to add strength, so it will need to be thicker than stock plates. So 3/8" should be sufficient?

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris85xlt said:
i just enlarged the holes on the old factory u-bolt plates and used those. so far holding up pretty well
Factory Ubolt plates for which axle?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
I would use 1/2" seriously. Since you can't rib it - and even if you add wings- the downforce created by torquing the u-bolts is immense; if the plate can bend, it will, and this will only serve to loosen the u-bolts.

And yeah, you can also take 10.25 plates or whatever and ream them accordingly. Then I've always taken the u-bolt, washer and nut and tightened it down just enough to pull the u-bolt legs straight. Then I weld the washer in place all around, essentially closing the "notch" and making it a complete hole again. You can only ream so much until you run out of room for your nut against the center rib or outer wing - this'll make sense once you start doing it........and you may have to grind a flat side on the washer so it'll fit, but no big deal.

Here's one I built of 1/2" plate

Note how for that side of the 60 you need two different bends anyhow, so whatever you use is gonna have to be custom. 78/9 60's will require slightly different bends than '86-97 due to tube diameter differences

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris85xlt said:
i just enlarged the holes on the old factory u-bolt plates and used those. so far holding up pretty well
Ok, so you widened the holes for matching up to the 3" spring vs the 2.5"? Am I following you correctly here? Any chance you can snap a pic?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i bought 3/8" to make mine for a D60 and eventually a 14B in the future

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
JahWarrior said:
Ok, so you widened the holes for matching up to the 3" spring vs the 2.5"? Am I following you correctly here? Any chance you can snap a pic?
um... i've always had 3" wide springs and i reused the old u-bolt plate that came with my bronco. i just enlarged the holes to 3/4" because the 1 ton axles uses a larger 5/8" u-bolt.

14 bolt rear end

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I used 10.25 plates for my 14 bolt. 10.25 plate for the Diff side of the D60 with a 3.25" spaced Ubolt and the 4". I messaged the holes out to fit the 4" one. on the passenger side I just reused a 9 inch diff plate with 3" Ubolts. 3" would have worked on the drivers side as well but 3 1/4" is what was on the 10.25 so I went with that.

10.25 on the left 9" on the right.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Minimum 1/2"
I would even use 5/8" at the thinnest if your going with a 5/8" U-bolt or you don't rib it

Or you could make them 1" thick like I did. Overkill I know, but I had a bunch of 1" cold rolled plate I was just dieing to use for something

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Cheese and Rice! Dems plates! :shocked

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
You need to update your specs on your Supermotors, and who is the hot chick in the bra and panties (148 of MISC)???

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
You need to update your specs on your Supermotors, and who is the hot chick in the bra and panties (148 of MISC)???
It said "me in white bra"
I hope thats not him

1 - 20 of 35 Posts