Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously besides the extra 1" in diameter. Looking at tires, ones for a 15" wheel are generally cheaper by a bit than tires for a 16" wheel (Which makes no sense really, they're both common sizes, AND a 16" tire has LESS rubber.

Only thing I can really think of is that the larger diameter of a 16" wheel gives a little more surface for wheel-to-tire traction in preventing the wheel from spinning inside the tire. If you have large brakes, a 16" wheel will clear a little larger caliper or rotor.

Other than that?

And what's the deal with the 16.5" tire/wheels? Any reason to look at/stay away from those sizes?

I'm looking to get a 38-39" tire, probably 12-15" wide. Main use = mud & trails.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
495 Posts

that what i run the 16.5, they are easy to change a tire off a rim they were designed for AGculture work.. but you cant air them down as much due to no saftey bead... unless you get them in beadlock form...

ray

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
16.5's are very rare, they only make them in certain sizes. Stay away from them if you can.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
16.5's are a heavy duty truck specific rim. The tires normally mounted on a 16.5 use 65 psi of air. Because of the high tire pressures, they do not have a safety bead. If you run them with less than 15 psi in the tires, the beads tend to unseat. There's nothig "wrong" with them, they just arent' compatible with offroading, and they're not rare. Their original application was to put a single tire on trucks that originally ran two low pressure tires.

16's fall into about the same category. They were introduced as a light truck rim in heavy applications , 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. 15's are intended for light duty applications, car's and 1/2-ton trucks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I run the 46" claws on 15" rims with no bead locks yet. Although I havent marked and checked for precise measurements, I don't think I have a problem with the rim spinning inside the tire. The only prob I do have is when aired down to about 7 or 8 psi, the sidewall being so big tends to roll and causes major push on uphil turns. I'd rather have these on 18's or 20's If I ever go bigger I'll do the 49 Iroks on 20's no doubt. I have also heard that the staun internal double beadlocks work very well in keeping them from spinning as well as locking both sides with no street legality issues or caliper clearance issues. I'll end up with those in mine. I have a friend that runs his 44" boggers on 16.5 wheels down to about 6 psi, the wheels are just under 10" wide though. He has only blown one bead since I have wheeled with him. 15's are fine up to around 40" IMO

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
difference between 15's and 16's is the 16's are always rated for more weight. The tires are much heavier too, thats why there more expensive.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Like Mike said as well. A 16 inch is most likely going on a 1-ton vehicle, so tires for it *generally* are going to be a heavier tire because of anticipated load. Most of us are probably stupid enough to try to tow somewhat like normal with a less-capable tire, so they try to protect us from this.

That's probably why I don't tow..no problems lol. Man..I wish 16" were cheaper though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input...so a 15" tire would be fine for what I want to do then eh? Not going to be towing anything.

True about the weight...I got 16" load range E tires for my trailer so that I could haul my pickup truck on it.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
Very rare??? Where do you live. There are trucks all over running 16.5s and there are tons of tire options for 16.5s as well.
Thats why you cant find rims for a 6 lug (chebby) anywhere and people ask me all the time (this week in fact) where I found a 5 on 5.5 rim. I know a guy who made his from some AG rims and 3/4 or a 15" rim with 5 on 5.5 rim though.

I popped a bead off with a full 30PSI of air in:wacko

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Yeah...16.5's aren't a good option. It's a debate though...go 16's now so that if/when 1-ton time comes, the tires swap and you buy new rims rather then having to buy new tires as well as rims.

Setting it up so you can run 15's on 1-tons is definately the shit though.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
16.5's are fine, but in my opinion not a good tire where you will run low pressure. 16.5's, as with any tire that is measured in a half size (14.5, 17.5, 19.5, 22.5, 24.5) has a much higher weight capacity than a tire measured in an even size, but if you let the air out the tire falls right off the wheel. So if your going to be running at a low pressure you can pop a bead a lot easier than something with an even inch measurement.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Thats why you cant find rims for a 6 lug (chebby) anywhere and people ask me all the time (this week in fact) where I found a 5 on 5.5 rim. I know a guy who made his from some AG rims and 3/4 or a 15" rim with 5 on 5.5 rim though.

I popped a bead off with a full 30PSI of air in:wacko
I don't really get what you're saying. People are looking for 5 and 6 lug 16.5in rims or 15in rims? Cause again, I don't know where you are looking for rims but there are tons of 5x5.5 and 6lug 15in rims around here. 16.5in rims are usually gonna be 8lug because they are pretty much only used on heavy duty trucks and equiptment.

There is nothing wrong with 16.5 rims if you are gonna be running a normal tire pressure. When aired down a 15 or 16in rim will be less likely to debead though they still do sometimes. That's why God invented beadlocks:thumbup If you run 16.5s with beadlocks it will be no differant than running 16s with beadlocks.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Why not just go 17"? It seems to be what the big 3 are going to on most of their trucks now anyway.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
People are looking for 5 and 6 lug 16.5in rims 16.5in rims are usually gonna be 8lug because they are pretty much only used on heavy duty trucks and equiptment.
16.5's, get a good deal on some hummer tires and buy some rims for your 1/2 ton ford or Chebby. Buddy with the Chebby never found any, I ordered 5 from 4wp, he sold me his tires so I have 10 of them now.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Dave88LX said:
Thanks for the input...so a 15" tire would be fine for what I want to do then eh? Not going to be towing anything.

True about the weight...I got 16" load range E tires for my trailer so that I could haul my pickup truck on it.
Consider what gives the 16" a higher load rating- generally speaking it will have a thicker side wall. IMO thicker side walls are always welcome off road.

·
3,420 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
16.5's, get a good deal on some hummer tires and buy some rims for your 1/2 ton ford or Chebby. Buddy with the Chebby never found any, I ordered 5 from 4wp, he sold me his tires so I have 10 of them now.
i just looked real quick, summit lists 32 wheels that are 16.5 and have 6lugs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts