Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the tires I have are, 35x12.5 for 15 in wheels. I can’t decide whether I should get 15x8 or 15x10 wheels.

i keep reading online that the 15x8 are better for lowering the psi in your tires, something about keeping the bead lock. But the wheels I’m looking at are not bead lock style. Other than that, is there any pros and cons between the two that deals with off roaring?

I’m more interested in how the stance will look. Which wheel would give me a better looking stance?

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Here's another discussion on the exact same thing, they might have some thoughts to share:

When people say breaking a bead, they're not talking about "bead locks", they're talking about popping a tire off the rim if you air down and hit a rock or something. I've been there, and it sucks!
A narrower rim will have more "grip" on the bead and prevent it from happening.

You could always go half way and get 15x9 rims.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,675 Posts
I prefer a narrower wheel, so the tire doesnt look like a balloon

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Plug in year, make, model (f150 will work too), tire size, wheel size etc and you'll see pics of how each rim width looks.

Go here: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Plug in tire size, rim width, back space / off set and then plug in what you're thinking about going to. It will compare the two and show you how much more it will stick out etc.

Use 318/80/15 for your tire size (that's the metric conversion of 35x12.50x15)

15x10s on 35's are fine depending on backspacing / offset. You can convert offset from backspace if needed here: Backspace to Offset Calculator | GTSparkplugs

·
Registered
326 Posts
8" wide will give you more of an hourglass look, vs 10" which will look more square. Unless you are doing serious rock crawling, it won't make a huge difference.

EDIT: I tried to make an ASCII picture but the forum stripped it out.

Reactions: Rodribra001

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,605 Posts
Fitting a 12.5" wide tire on an 8" wide wheel might be an issue. Some places won't mount it for you. I generally stick to a 10.5" tire on an 8" wheel or a 12.5" tire on a 10" wide wheel.

I like the look of the 12.5" tire on the 10" wheels and I've never had an issue but I do prefer the wider footprint for snow and ice I deal with up here, seasonally.

Old schooler's prefer the thinner wheels for snow because they're better able to cut through the snow, down to solid ground but we get deep snow where cutting down into it might end up dragging and packing under the chassis. I do run an 10" tire on an 7.5" wheel on my plow rig but the plow is moving the deep stuff in front, so I want to get traction down to the ground, rather than try to "float" on top.

BTW... you really need to add your Bronco details in your signature or forum stats, so they show up under your title/name. Your choice but having it show for reference when you make posts will be helpful.

Don't we have a thread all about wheels and tires around here somewhere?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don't we have a thread all about wheels and tires around here somewhere?
There's a couple from OP that probably qualify as Wheels and Tires material.

We got 7" of snow 6+ weeks ago. In Texas. So we just shut down the entire state for a week. Admire but don't envy you peeps who have to deal with it on a perennial basis.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
755 Posts
So the tires I have are, 35x12.5 for 15 in wheels. I can’t decide whether I should get 15x8 or 15x10 wheels.

i keep reading online that the 15x8 are better for lowering the psi in your tires, something about keeping the bead lock. But the wheels I’m looking at are not bead lock style. Other than that, is there any pros and cons between the two that deals with off roaring?

I’m more interested in how the stance will look. Which wheel would give me a better looking stance?
You can’t put a 12.5 wide tire on an 8” rim and expect any kind of life out of the tire not to mention you are ballooning your tires and screwing up your traction from the get go. Go with a wider rim. 10” is better than 8. Especially if you intend on using lower air pressure. Buy bead locks if your that worried about the bead but don’t blow your money on an 8 “ rim.

·
Man of endless projects
9,554 Posts
look up the specs for tire you plan on using and it will have recommended wheel width.

i jsut put new 295/75R16 (basically 33.4" x 11.6") tries on my F250 with its stock 7" wide wheels. recommended wheel width is 7.5"-9.5". the wheels are defiantly too narrow and it makes the tires tread more round than flat on the road and will make it wear fast in the center. i really wanna buy some new wheels to fix that as my old 285/75R16 (32.8" x 11.2") tries had that issue and completely wiped all the tread in the center while leaving alot on the outside.

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about offset?

the 15x10 wheels have an offset of -45 and the 15x8 wheels have an offset of -22.

my bronco doesn’t have flares and I’m afraid that if I get the 15x10 wheels the Stance will look funny, like too much.

what offset do y’all wheels have ?

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
755 Posts
What about offset?

the 15x10 wheels have an offset of -45 and the 15x8 wheels have an offset of -22.

my bronco doesn’t have flares and I’m afraid that if I get the 15x10 wheels the Stance will look funny, like too much.

what offset do y’all wheels have ?
-45 is a lot .....you will have a wider stance which improves stability but it will push the wheels outside your fenders quite a bit....fitment and turning would definitely require a lift depending on how tall you went....personally my preference is about -25 offset but vehicles vary and so do people’s desires and preferences. If they don’t make your rim choice in a 10” rim I would look for another style....or run a smaller tire...but you can simulate your tire choice with a u shaped piece of cardboard cut to your new tires width and height and tape it to your current tire tread near your wheel well bottom for reference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts