Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...are here.

Okay, I gave up gambling when I lost $13 in '55 as a 14 year-old playing Acey-Deucy, except for charitable organizations (read Catholic Las Vegas nights). I don't mind it when I know my blackjack losses go for a good cause. State lotteries DON'T!

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Sales in South Carolina reached $11,000 a minute on Friday, "pretty staggering," said John C.B. Smith, chairman of the state's lottery commission.

wow, i bet that chairman was happy...........

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
It is, for someone, a dream come true. Id be estatic to win $2 million.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
marv said:
...are here.

Okay, I gave up gambling when I lost $13 in '55 as a 14 year-old playing Acey-Deucy, except for charitable organizations (read Catholic Las Vegas nights). I don't mind it when I know my blackjack losses go for a good cause. State lotteries DON'T!
I play a couple of lotteries around here

but no scratch and lose stuff. Lightning can't hit you if you don't give it a chance. Just don't go overboard it can ruin your life real fast.

I went to camp with a twenty dollar bill and came home with over $100.00 so I developed a different view of gambling, but I will walk away from a $20 poker game once the 20 is gone.

Sixlitre

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My argument against state lotteries is that they are really a "voluntary" tax on the poor. Talley up the number of states that claimed that the lottery was going to go the state's education costs. Then compare that to those same states that didn't decrease the education taxes, but later came back and said "we have to increase our taxes for education"!

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
It's sucks that you cant win if you're too poor to buy a sinlge ticket. Hell those things cost more than beer and beer tastes better and you always know what you're getting

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife worked as a shift supervisor in a telephone answering service in Columbus, OH. The girls on the phones included a lot of single moms making minimum wage, and raising one or more children. Some of them, not all, would take their paychecks on payday and rush out to buy Ohio lottery tickets - instead of milk for their kids! They all dreamed of striking it rich.

They should have gone to the race track in Arlington where the odds were better.

Money from lotteries, beside providing a comfortable income to the private companies that run them, just provide more money for state politicians to squander.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
marv said:
The girls on the phones included a lot of single moms making minimum wage, and raising one or more children. Some of them, not all, would take their paychecks on payday and rush out to buy Ohio lottery tickets - instead of milk for their kids! They all dreamed of striking it rich.
sounds like they've been making bad decisions most of there lives anyways... why blame it on the lottery.... it's like saying malt liquor creates bums

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
"16,999,999,999 reasons not to play the lottery..."

Yea Marv , but there is a person or persons that can give you one very good reason to play.Every so offten I spend a buck for a dream.....................what the hell.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
between the 4 mechanics at work we bought $20 worth of tickets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts