Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put a 14-bolt axle on my Suburban, and I know that 15 inch rims won't fit. So, should I go with 16" or 17" inch rims? My main concerns are tire selection and average tire costs for different sized rims? I will be putting highway tires on, so I don't need good selection of A/T or off-road tires. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size is also not an issue as I will not be going over a 31 inch tire, and probably not bigger than 29 inch, most probably in a metric size.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I think I'm sticking with 16" rims. It seems like for normal passenger vehicle tire sizes, 16" tires are cheaper and more plentiful than 17".

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 14-bolt is to help turn my suburban from a half ton to a 1-ton to be a tow vehicle. So, there's not a real need for monster tires on a 2wd tow rig. Current plans is to put 235/70-16 or thereabouts on, which is around a 29.5 inch tire. I imagine I could probably clear 31s stock, but lifting to clear bigger tires is probably not an option due to tire size.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
The 14-bolt is to help turn my suburban from a half ton to a 1-ton to be a tow vehicle. So, there's not a real need for monster tires on a 2wd tow rig. Current plans is to put 235/70-16 or thereabouts on, which is around a 29.5 inch tire. I imagine I could probably clear 31s stock, but lifting to clear bigger tires is probably not an option due to tire size.
That's what I was guessing was your plan. 16's. They have lots of metric load range D/E sizes in smaller diameters for towing use.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm probably way too late on this thread, but I have a 14 bolt (4.11 gears) Chevy rear in my 3500, and I am extremely happy with my 245/75/16 selection.
I run BFG Commercial T/A Traction tires with a Load range E.

They eat a little more fuel than a "highway all season" tire, but I've hit 8" of water @ 40MPH on several occasions and never hydroplaned. Also, since my truck is only 2WD, I need as much off-road traction I can get and mud tires were the only solution. This is seriously an 80K mile tire. As long as you rotate them every 8-10 thousand miles they don't "wub, wub, wub" either. They might be ideal for what you want out of your truck. This size is readily available from nearly every manufacturer, which is why it appealed to me, primarily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts