Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted about getting the deal in the what did you do to your bronco thread. In here I'll post all about what's going on with this bronco. Presently I am fab'n up a tow bar hitch thing so I can move it around my property with the running '95 bronco.

This one has no motor atm or a pink slip, gas tank, fuel pump, radiator, seats, rear bumper fender badges, etc. So its the perfect candidate for a free for all build considering a lot of what adds value to the truck is missing and hard to come by.

I have no idea what I'm doing " I got rocks rolling around in my head " but with some help and a lot of spilled sweat and blood on my part I'm sure to figure it out.

First order of business on this project is to fab up the tow / move it around hitch.

This is where I am at so far.

Plant Hood Rectangle Bumper Wood

Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Automotive tire Grass

Running Cost to date:

Bronco Prchase $160.00
Front Seats $50.00 during 50% off $ale !
Gas Tank $
Radiator $
Engine $
Tail Light $
Rear View Mirror $
Passenger Door Mirror $
Front Grill $
Hood $
Tires/wheels $
Registration Title Transfer $
Master Cylinder $
Front headlight Trim $
Steering Columb $
Rear sliding windows $106.98

Total Cost to Date: $316.98

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Little beer brake intermission pic. I need to get some scrap trimmed piece to fill in the gap on the front seem so i can weld it up nice and hot, exactly how I like it ;)

The bead opposite of the gap that needs filled was pretty wide but i was able to fill it in with out adding filler material. Using mig .035
Plant Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Grass

Wood Line Automotive exterior Rectangle Gas

Reactions: loki1981

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I found the perfect scrap. 1/4" piece that I shaved off using the plasma cutter. I don't throw scraps away for situations like this where it'll come in handy.

Water Wood Gas Composite material Metal

Wood Gas Door Screw Auto part

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok got most of what needs to be welded up welded. Just a couple of small finishing touches to rap it up and I should be able to move it to my sloped driveway by this evening. Fingers crossed it works as planed.

Reactions: Breezeway2021

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
Could swap in a junkyard explorer/mountaineer 5.0 and a set of tan leather front seats. Body still looks good. There's way to get a title but I doubt CA would allow any of it (back fees). Worse case if you need to sell it list it on ebay; the CA parts trucks always sell to out of state buyers for a "decent" amount compared to what you get locally. About $900-1700.

·
Registered
‘95 Bronco XLT 5.0 E4OD, MAF——‘95 F150 XL 4.9 M5OD 4x4, SD
514 Posts
Sounds like a good project to follow.

Do you plan on trying to get a title?
With no title I’d say maybe make a woods buggy. For as little as you have in it you could probably still make money on it with a re sell. Or even better IMO, set it up to be emp immune transportation. I’m not a fear monger but self sufficiency and independence is always a goal for me.

In that case, I think a carbed 300 straight six and a 4 or 5 spd would be awesome. As little electronics to worry about the better.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I got what I needed to get done for the day accomplished. It's a good feeling when a plan comes together, even though I'm beat to a pulp and already feeling the effects after drinking a 12 pack and busting out the get'r done all day. Found out it has no brakes "LOL amongst the many other things it din't have. So for now it is sitting on an incline in my driveway with just the front wheels chalked.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Tire Bumper

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Composite material Gas

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Could swap in a junkyard explorer/mountaineer 5.0 and a set of tan leather front seats. Body still looks good. There's way to get a title but I doubt CA would allow any of it. Worse case if you need to sell it list it on ebay; the CA parts trucks always sell to out of state buyers for a "decent" amount compared to what you get locally. About $900-1700.
It originally had a 5.8L so with any luck it'll live again with a 5.8L if title does npt prove to be a problem " late fee's, tickets, lien holder etc etc etc" there are any number of things that can or could cause a problem with getting it legally registered in my name. One thing I had considered is to see if I could get an off highway vehicle registration so I coould do what ever I want power wise. 7.3L diesel or cummings straight 6 comes to mind ;)

Sounds like a good project to follow.

Do you plan on trying to get a title?
With no title I’d say maybe make a woods buggy. For as little as you have in it you could probably still make money on it with a re sell. Or even better IMO, set it up to be emp immune transportation. I’m not a fear monger but self sufficiency and independence is always a goal for me.

In that case, I think a carbed 300 straight six and a 4 or 5 spd would be awesome. As little electronics to worry about the better.
Yes for now the plan is to try to legally get the title transferred into my name. So that will probably be the next update "dmv title fiasco"

I'm not made of money so this project could take a while to get road worthy to say the least.

Yes bring a trailer, ebay etc could be a good place to sell it so long as rge title don't come back as stolen :/

It is pretty clean for the most part. I damaged the rear lower quarter just a tad getting it off the dolly but nothing i'd worry about and barely even noticeable.

Worse case scenario is I have a fairly cheap parts truck ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another member helped out and got a autocheck history report " thank you :) " and it is reported as having a clean CA title and only registered vehicle it's whole life. Last smog check 2001 reported 120k+ change for last known milage . I have not paid much attention to all the fine details like milage etc. Was beating my self up in the 103+ temps here getting the tow thing fabed and welded up so I could get it off the street before the city could tow it. Now that I got that done I can relax a bit as that was the hardest most stressful part and is behind me now.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure the neighbors appreciated your hard work getting it off the street!
Probably about as much as they appreciated me bringing it home and parking in my driveway in the first place lol

·
Registered
‘95 Bronco XLT 5.0 E4OD, MAF——‘95 F150 XL 4.9 M5OD 4x4, SD
514 Posts
Awesome news on the vehicle info search.

Just wanted to clarify my thoughts on a emp immune vehicle, I wasn’t thinking expensive at all I just meant retro fit a motor and transmission old enough that wouldn’t be effected. Manual fuel pump, points ignition etc... that kinda thing. But it’s just my opinion. Make it what you want

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be a good thing to have for SHTF times and it would be limited to offroad only and sitting around waiting for just such an emergency. Biggest problem I see with a SHTF vehicle is fuel sitting in the tank for long periods of time and going stale or even worse rotting the missing fuel tank from the inside out. Engine should be fairly easy to find, not so sure about a fuel tank and all required fuel tank hardware.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes it's a CA smog issue.

Edit: headed down to dmv to see what they say.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok DMV says the late fee's are up to about $850 + Licnsing/Tax/title transfer fees :( That price is good through December this year. It goes up after that.

Going to research to see if there are rare circumstances where fee's can be waived.

Reactions: Breezeway2021

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found some info that might help with persuading DMV into waiving the fee's. If I can get them to waive the late/back fee's I should only have to pay the title transfer, tax and non op to get the title and then submit an affidavit of facts regarding how I come to obtain this vehicle.

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 9562 | FindLaw

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 9562
Current as of January 01, 2019 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
Search California Codes

(a) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration, as provided in Section 5902 , and it is determined by the department that registration penalties accrued prior to the purchase of the vehicle, and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the nonpayment of the fees for registration for the current or prior registration years, the department may waive the registration penalties upon payment of the fees for registration due.
(b) Other provisions of this code notwithstanding, the director may, at his or her discretion, investigate into the circumstances of any application for registration to ascertain if penalties had accrued through no fault or intent of the owner.  If the director determines that the circumstances justify it, he or she may waive any penalties upon payment of the fees for registration then due.
(c) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration of a vehicle, and it is determined by the department that fees for registration of the vehicle for any year are unpaid and due, that the fees became due prior to the transfer or purchase of the vehicle by the transferee or purchaser and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the fact that the fees were unpaid and due, the department may waive the fees and any penalty thereon if the license plate assigned to the vehicle displays a validating device issued by the department and the validating device contains the year number of the registration year for which the transferee or purchaser is requesting a waiver of fees and penalties.

(d) Upon the transfer of a vehicle for which fees for registration and any penalties thereon are unpaid and due, the fees and penalties are, notwithstanding the provisions of Article 6 (commencing with Section 9800 ) of this chapter, the personal debt of the transferor of the vehicle who did not pay the fees and penalties when they became due or accrued.  The fees and penalties may be collected by the department in an appropriate civil action if the department has waived the fees and penalties pursuant to subdivision (c).

Other Applications

• Penalties may be waived on an application for registration upon payment of the fees due when the manager or his/her designee determines that circumstances caused the penalties to accrue through no fault or intent of the owner (CVC §9562(b)).
  • Fees and penalties may be waived only when the customer (including a dealer) has a current validation sticker on the license plate which matches the year for which fees are believed to have been paid and the registration fees became due
    prior tothe customer’s purchase/transfer date.
    • The transfer fee and any other fees due must be paid. If a current validation sticker is not displayed on the license plate, all registration fees due must be paid and only the penalties may be waived.
    • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form stating the sticker number on the license plate and that the applicant/dealer was not aware of any unpaid fees and penalties must be submitted with the application.
Waiver of Penalties on Vehicles Sold at Wholesale Auction (CVC §9561.5)

DMV shall waive any penalties due for late payment of registration renewal fees on a vehicle if all of the following criteria are met:

• The vehicle is sold through a dealer conducting a wholesale motor vehicle auction as provided in CVC §4456(b).
  • Immediately prior to the sale the vehicle was registered as a leased vehicle.
  • Delivery of the vehicle to the dealer conducting the wholesale motor vehicle auction is not later than 25 days after the termination of the lease.
  • The date of termination of the lease and the date of delivery to the auction is reported on the application for registration or transfer.
    • This may be done on a REG 256 submitted with the application.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK time for a few cold ones. It's hot out there.

Oh yeah while I was there I paid the $147 to renew the registration on the 95 bronco and $184 for the 03 chevy s10 Xtreme. That's $331.00 for two vehicles in the same month. Wipes forehead and takes a swig.

I have no idea why but the Chevy S-10 extended cab Xtreme is classified as a commercial vehicle and they charge more for it even though the bronco is way more capable of pulling bigger loads etc.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts