Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm 17 yrs old and i've had my bronco for...oh, i dunno...almost 2 years. I got it right after hurricane Ivan as a work truck. It is a 1990 Bronco with a 351W Eddie Bourer (sp). Its a nice truck, just needs a little..well..prolly a lot of TLC. Trans in it is bout shot and the engine. I dunno exactly whats wrong with it, but i know it need work. We are thinkin bout taking out the eng. and trans and rebuilding this thing. Is it worth it? Spend this money rebuild the enging and prolly getting a new trans? or sell it? i need some opinions...

·
Registered
67 Posts
How shot is it? Before you replace it, tell us what you have done to it, if anything? It might just need a good tune. I have heard of people getting ridiculous number of miles out of their Bronco engines.

Have you already replaced your plugs, wires, cap and rotor? What kind of tranny does it have?

96ProjectBronco

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It deppends on how bad the rest of the truck is and how much you want to put into it. Also, you should go to the introduction section and introduce yourself. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
First- Welcome to FSB. When rebuilding/restoring a vehicle, you are almost always going to run into a lot of problems you didnt even know existed. Its going to be a big undertaking and its gonna cost a lot of money and time, but i think that if you follow through with it you will be very pleased in the end. Broncos are awesome vehicles and i say DO IT!

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
coming from a 17(now 18) year old it is soo worth it to rebuild the motor and i would say new trans but i had mine rebuilt with a warranty, you should look into a SAS im doing mine this summer(d60 front and rear), and like powerb said it will cost a bit but youll have one hell of a rig and youll have fun pulling your chevy buddys out

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think you better sell it and with the money take a few spelling and grammar classes at night school.........
Yikes, I feel very sorry for this country and have grave doubts about the US's status as a world power, if our schools cant teach our children......and whats even more disturbing, is the fact that the children are oblivious to their errors more than 99% of the time......or they just think its cool to sound/look/spell/read/write/dress, and act like fools who try to pretend they were born and raised in the projects of some ghetto. When in reality they have never been off the farm....

Its a very sad state of affairs.

Sorry to be so harsh.....but thats it........OH and dont sell the Bronco.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How shot is it? Before you replace it, tell us what you have done to it, if anything? It might just need a good tune. I have heard of people getting ridiculous number of miles out of their Bronco engines.

Have you already replaced your plugs, wires, cap and rotor? What kind of tranny does it have?

Well i still drive it, just very little, just to school and back and thats not very far cuz i live in a little town basically an island. There has been many owners, and over time things have been replaced. I can only really tell the fuel rails have been done. There is a new K&N air pilter in it. I myself have put on new plugs, wires and a battery cuz i havent replaced the alternater yet (which hear in broncos is crap). When i first got it i put all new fluids in it and a new trans filter. Its got 216.000 miles now. and the trans is the E4OD, i looked into a C6 but i found out that thats more work then i thought. So its either get a new trans or send this one to the shop for some work. It takes it a while to shift into drive in the mornings, or if i havent driven it in 6 hours or so. I've also done little things to it (brake pads, radio, speakers) I do have leaks, i check my oil and anti-freeze every morning. I know it will take a while, me and my dad (who has done a few in life) were gonna start spriing break and just work.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
my head hurts now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, its in good shape on the outside, i'm not doing body work. But i cant go anywhere without it smokin. I'm sure all i need is some head work. I'm just wanting to take it out, send off the trans. and clean up the engine, replace a few things. Just give it a good clean up. But i'd like to get great to play with, and cuz i'll need it to go to PJC (pensaocla junior college) and thats up in town.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
DarkWizard505 said:
yea, its in good shape on the outside, i'm not doing body work. But i cant go anywhere without it smokin. I'm sure all i need is some head work. I'm just wanting to take it out, send off the trans. and clean up the engine, replace a few things. Just give it a good clean up. But i'd like to get great to play with, and cuz i'll need it to go to PJC (pensaocla junior college) and thats up in town.

well i live in fort walton and when you find somewhere to play in it that is not 100 miles away let me know

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Streetgang said:
I think you better sell it and with the money take a few spelling and grammar classes at night school.........
Yikes, I feel very sorry for this country and have grave doubts about the US's status as a world power, if our schools cant teach our children......and whats even more disturbing, is the fact that the children are oblivious to their errors more than 99% of the time......or they just think its cool to sound/look/spell/read/write/dress, and act like fools who try to pretend they were born and raised in the projects of some ghetto. When in reality they have never been off the farm....

Was that really necessary? :goodfinge

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Streetgang said:

that's not very nice and foolish of you to make a blind statement like this. I have a friend who's around 19 (bro's friend) and he has a lot of learning disabilities, and types REALLY poorly. he gets people like you harping on and making fun of him all the time, and he doesn't deserve it, as he does everything he can, and is learning at his capacity.

You simply do not know what the other person is like at the other end to make that kind of a judging statement. If he is in 100% capacity then I completely agree with your statement, BUT, that is the question which we do not know.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
DarkWizard505 said:
hey, i'm 17 yrs old and i've had my bronco for...oh, i dunno...almost 2 years. I got it right after hurricane Ivan as a work truck. It is a 1990 Bronco with a 351W Eddie Bourer (sp). Its a nice truck, just needs a little..well..prolly a lot of TLC. Trans in it is bout shot and the engine. I dunno exactly whats wrong with it, but i know it need work. We are thinkin bout taking out the eng. and trans and rebuilding this thing. Is it worth it? Spend this money rebuild the enging and prolly getting a new trans? or sell it? i need some opinions...

How much do you love your Bronco? I think that pretty much answers your question.

An E4OD, about $2200 to get it done up with all the new releases and stuff for it, and while your at it throw in another buck for a bigger cooler and remote filter/temp gauge kit. Might as well keep on top of her if your going to spend 2 grand on a new trans.

5.8's with low mileage (under 100k) can be found for under a grand if you look, and if you don't mind doing the work, and can do the work, you can do it for not too much more then that.

In all reality, with 216k on it, if you don't really have the drive to do a LOT of work yourself, I think you'd be better off finding one with lower miles TBH. A truck with that much use definitely needs some TLC. But yeah, as was asked, what makes you think the engine and trans need to be replaced?

Try getting the trans filter changed and have it flushed. Check for codes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the drivetrain is shot no one is going to give you much money for the Bronco.
As far as rebuilding it depends on how much you love the truck, experience in this type of work, tools and place to do it. Sometimes its wiser to find a Bronco in good running condition and buy it instead of the expense of rebuilding or replacement. Especially if your going to use it as a off road vehicle.
If you like your truck maybe you can look for a used engine and tranny in good running condition or a wrecked or poor body condition vehicle to swap engine and tranny into yours.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great responce v8only! you took the words right out of my mouth. Or at least off of my fingers. As far as selling it goes...HELL NO!!!!! Not unless you think that you have found a better bronco first. Key word here is first

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
v8only said:
You simply do not know what the other person is like at the other end to make that kind of a judging statement. If he is in 100% capacity then I completely agree with your statement, BUT, that is the question which we do not know.
You are 100% correct.....we do not know for sure what the mental condition and how academically inclined the person is.....

This is why I have to use evidence found here to come to my conclusion (and I am not just talking about this 17 year old kid.....I am talking about the American youth in general)

AND I STICK BY CONCLUSION.....WE ARE SCREWED IF HE IS A RANDOM EXAMPLE OF A AMERICAN TEEN

But.....I still think he should keep the Bronco!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Streetgang said:
You are 100% correct.....we do not know for sure what the mental condition and how academically inclined the person is.....

This is why I have to use evidence found here to come to my conclusion (and I am not just talking about this 17 year old kid.....I am talking about the American youth in general)

AND I STICK BY CONCLUSION.....WE ARE SCREWED IF HE IS A RANDOM EXAMPLE OF A AMERICAN TEEN

I hope u don't have kids. I would keep the bronco.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank god i'm not stupid or what not, my school is one of top ten in FL and i'm make great grades, i'm just a lazy typer i guess. Its not fancy talk here, good lord you damn whiner (StreetGang). anyways, i love my bronco and i wont get much for it around here. the trans is only gonna be about $1,200. And its me and my dad who are doing it. Hes payin for it and he has done some engine in life. We have all the tools and a congrete pad in a back yard with a garage/shop next to it. the pics of it are great and such, it really just needs the TLC i'm talkin about. I'll be getting some pics on my profile thing soon, its in good shape. I just wanna get in there and make it just as good or better then when it came off the lot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts