Parts:
Reliability:
Price:
Weight:
Recoil:
Fit:
Accersories:
Price:

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on each of the above... facts please if you can help it...

·
Registered
214 Posts
1911=The best god-damn hand-gun ever made!!!!!!!
Mags: 7+1... if you need more, you need more practice.
Parts: lots and lots
Reliability: will last forever
Price: Springfield isnt bad
weight:perfect for me and most of people that have them
recoil: not bad
fit: like a glove
accesories: not sure.. never got any for mine

USP= dont know anything about them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I own many 1911's all colts. And two H&K USP's

Both are awesome. If I had to pick one at the "end of the world" It would be a USP. As a "every day" sidearm a would rock the 1911.

Mags: Most 1911's are .45cal and most mags hold 7 or 8 rounds. cheap to buy.
Parts: Most 1911's have 6 parts when "field stripped"
Reliability: Over all good, keep it clean and free of rust.
Price: good 1911's can cost big money($1000+) but most can be had for $400-$700
Weight: All steel 1911's have good weight but helps out on recoil. Many arms co's make plastic 1911 frames that help on weight.
Recoil: .45 cal is a big round. But also "slow". Recoil with a all steel 1911 is cake and alot of fun to shoot.
Fit: A good 1911 will have great fit. Save your money and buy a good 1911 from colt, kimber, springfield.
Accersories:1911's have the BIGGEST aftermarket out there.
Price: All over the place. Save some money ($600+) and try to buy a colt or kimber.

USP
Mags: 10 rounds, if you can find them 13 round pre-band.
Parts:3 field stripped
Reliability: unstoppable. I have like 1000+ rounds in my usp with out cleaning.
Price:$500 and up
Weight: Half plastic, so very lite.
Fit: awesome.
Accersories: not to much. trigger hot rodding, night sights.

Both are great guns, try to shoot each. If this is your first gun, I would go with the H&K. Easier to take care of, easier to shoot better.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
what are you using it for, lot of different contexts here. CHL, home portection, cat hunting, competition. ?

www.gunbroker.com gotten a few good deals off here. I like 1911's, but do not have much use for them. In competition I shoot a custom built 2011. I use to use a glock 22, which was awsome for a 400$$$, mags are now cheap. I have used a USP a few times, but frankly, don't really like.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
dogonmut said:

In competition, I fired 140 000 rounds through my G22, not including practice. I have had one gun malfunction. the slide lock spring broke mid stage. Tanked the stage, but then tapred down the slide lock, shot 3 more matches then replaced it with a new one glock sent me for free. I shot it in arizona, all over Texas and Louis. Rain, sand, whatever. Only thing i can say is that do not load west coast bullets, they do not group for crap out of a G22, monatna golds, zeros are excellent though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
First off there is no pre-ban anymore, if you are buying them that way you are getting screwed.

I personally love Glocks I have 3 currently and a buddy has 7 of 'em, but to each there own, what you need to do is go someplace that will let you try different guns and calibers out. You might find out you don't like either of what you are looking at.
Second take a gun class there are alot of them out there so do your homework on them, because there are some idiots out there and a few that are actually felons. I personally know people who help teach FR&I classes that are put on by Steve Silverman and am just waiting to get the money saved up to take one myself.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've shot a USP 45 before... I don't remember if it was tactical or not. I've never shot a 1911... I'm using it for home defense to back up my 12 gauge pump, and for CCW use... I want it to be reliable as hell and be able to easily fit a tactical light or laser, the mag availiblity of the USP bothers me as does both of them, trying to find a holster for one with an affixed tac light. I have a problem fitting the Beretta 9mm's in my hand... don't ask, web issues... anywho, I'm thinking about buying a 45 pistol, a Vector V51 SBR and something else... either a HK G-36, M-1919 belt fed, or something else... I HATE AR's... Any suggestions? I have an AK-74 and a Rem 870 that I'm going to sell to help pay for them...

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
what do you not like about AR's. I have not had any problems with mine in competition, but it like all my guns, I clean and oil after every use. I personally feel a laser is a waste of time and money, but it's your bill. I have a light on my glock 22. When i get back to tx and start carrying, i am going to go back to a G27. Can't carry a light on it, but a surefire is compact, very handy. I do not know of alot of holsters that allow for use with railed accessories. Hooking up with a vector or 36 isn't too easy and pretty pricey, but again, your $. Para makes a very nice single action 45 that now have utility rails, looked at any of them. I am presonally not a big fan of 45s. I like to shoot them, but other then that, i prefer my 40. (and I really prefer my brazos 40) Have you carried before. Carrying a full framed, in my experience is a pain. Hit me on aim some time or yahoo if you want to see the currently inactive hobby.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I have an AK-74 and a Rem 870 that I'm going to sell to help pay for them...[/QUOTE said:
pretty sure those aren't gonna cover the cost of the 36 or vector for sure. unless you are getting a really amazing LE/AF deal. depending on what you get for the 45, you will be close. what brand is the 74? 870's go for about 300-400 from what i have been seeing lately. Where are you going to be selling them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts