Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short the springs I ordered will be here who knows when. So I'm looking for a replacement.
Stock spring rates according to Napa's stock replacements are 337, and 360.

Criteria=softer than stock with approximately 2" of lift.

I think I've got the proper amount of unloaded height to spring rate figured out----IN A 195LB spring.

Of course I'll have to leave my swaybar connected but anyone else think a drop this low will cause a bunch of problems?

My thoughts. If the body roll and pitch isn't stupid the ride would be nice and so would the flexibility offroad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just having a softer spring won't increase flexibility. Other factors like shock length, radius arm length, radius arm bushing stiffness and the bump height affect it more. Ride stiffness can be controlled by valving in the shocks; springs hold up the vehicle while shocks control the movement of those springs.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just having a softer spring won't increase flexibility. Other factors like shock length, radius arm length, radius arm bushing stiffness and the bump height affect it more. Ride stiffness can be controlled by valving in the shocks; springs hold up the vehicle while shocks control the movement of those springs.

Ya I know. I intend to increase shock length with custom mounts, and some longer radius arms. I might re-position the bump stops further inboard, for more uptravel, since the limited lift height will limit uptravel.

I think I'm just going to give it a try. I can always add a F-250, or F-350 front swaybar to help compensate for the decreased roll stiffness when on the highway, and use shock valving to fight pitching on the highway also.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This would just be to soft. After doing some research I think I'd just HATE these so I finally found an alternative.

Based on springs used on Rangers and Eplorers/Bronco 2's DON'T GO THIS SOFT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts