Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, im gonna buy this 1977 F250 4wd this next week. buying it for the fornt axle of course.
so, everyone says that there is not such thing as a 1977 D60 high pinion, 35 spline axle.
they declare the first ones where made in 78.
i saw the title, the truck is a 1977, the tag on the cab also correspoinds with a build date of 6/77
i saw with my own eyes a d60 kingpin high pinion axle under the front end. theres no way it was swapped in due to the lack of maintence(and mobility) of this truck. im gonna get the BOM and see what i come up with.

so does anybody know the truth behind this?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
Crazed said:
ouch...:cry
Amen to that....I dont want a 60 that bad

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i sold my 73 f250 highboy for 800 bucks. Had the snowplow package with the d60 front and rear. 300 six. great truck just lots of body rot and frame cracked at front leaf spring mount from wheeling hard

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
85f150 said:
i sold my 73 f250 highboy for 800 bucks. Had the snowplow package with the d60 front and rear. 300 six. great truck just lots of body rot and frame cracked at front leaf spring mount from wheeling hard
but was it an open knuckle high pinion d60?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What's the big deal exactly? 1977 was the changeover year. Early models usually had low pinions, late models usually had high pinions. Yours is a *very* late 77MY, so it would probably have a high pinion D60.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
I'm not an expert on Dana HP 60's, but I would have to agree with seboh, that a June '77 manufactured vehicle would actually be considered a '78, the next model year almost always starts in June.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Yep, that's a 77.5 Zach

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ditto the above that say 1977 was a change over year. In the last part of 1977 Ford lowered the truck down, and married the tranfercase to the trans and went hi pinion on the front axle. The front axle code should confirm it is the origional axle.

Great find!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts