Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a while back about a possible 460 swap, and then swapped. No idea what this bronco had in the first place, but when I got it it had a 390/c6. Found the coolest deal, a 1978 econoline van w/ a 460/c6 for $600, body was STRIPPED, but engine and tranny were in great shape. Had a tranny shop swap out the out put shafts on the c6 to mate with the transfer case and put it in.
The problems have mainly been wiring, don't have a clue what the people before me were doing.
The 390 had points without any wires coming out of the distributor, no ignition module in the loop, just power to the coil. The 460's distributor has 3 wires coming off of it that are supposed to go to the ignition module. Looked in all the usual places and haven't found the module, so they probably tossed it. I've bypassed these before on jeeps, but never on a bronco.
Does anyone know how I would rig this to run without the module, or should I just get an after market distributor?
Thanks
Will post picks of the swap soon

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your (460) Duraspark distributor can be stripped down to the advance weights and all the took-out parts replaced with the points-distributor parts from the 390. You can retain the Duraspark adaptor ring and big cap or use the points cap..... just be certain to use the apropriate rotor for whichever cap style you choose to use.
The only tricky parts to doing this is;
There's a wire clip under the fiber thingy inside the rotor shaft that must be removed before the rotor shaft can come off of it's shaft. Once removed, spray some penitrant in there and let it sit awhile.
Be very carefull while removing the wire retainer so's you don't destroy it during removal. It aint a servicable part.
Once ya get all the parts swapped, make sure that the rotor is phased exactly at a cap terminal as the points are just beginng to break open.

Getting past the points conversion for a moment....... IMO, you'll be better off in the long run to use your present Duraspark distributor and simply wire-in a compatable Ford module. All the parts you'll need are in the donor van.

Hope this helps.

DGW

·
oscar espinoza
1,538 Posts
Just put a ford hei from eBay one wire to the ignition and ur done ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wiring is so trashed in the bronco it's not funny. Wiring a new module is not an option. Have all the diagrams of a 78 bronco and almost nothing matches. Already had to run all the wires from the alternator and splice in 5 new wires and w/ plugs that are not in the schematic. I have a brad new after market harness that I can't put on right now due to moving, just need it to run right now. The hei one wire might work, being that the new harness is so basic I'll probably need it anyway.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts