Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the pattern on the housing end the 9 inch in a 78-79 with 1/2'' T-Bolts? Is it early or late big ford ends?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Does anyone know the pattern on the housing end the 9 inch in a 78-79 with 1/2'' T-Bolts? Is it early or late big ford ends?
1978- = ½"

1979+ = ⅜"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it has the 1/2" T bolts then it is the early big Ford. Late big Ford has 3/8" bolts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yesterday I got my housing all torn down and I measured the pattern. The housing in my 79' is early big ford pattern but it has 3/8'' T-bolts.

Did they switch to late big ford pattern at some point?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You got me on that one. Are the bolts loose in the holes? Maybe wrong bolts. Also if I remember right, the early and late big Ford measured the same dimensions for the mounting pattern but the bolts and bearings were different. I'll check.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as you are talking big bearing all late and early take the same large bearing.

There was early housings with small bearings.

My housing is early pattern large bearing with 3/8'' T-Bolts. The holes in the housing, and brake backing plates are definitely for 3/8'' bolts as they fit good in the holes and are not loose.

I would like to know if all 79's are early large bearing pattern with 3/8'' bolts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Every 79 I have had was 3/8, and every 78 was 1/2. Everything identical except housing ends, backing plates, retainer plates and bolts themselves.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what's funny to me. My housing end looks just like the late big bearing end shape wise but its 3/8" bolts and the hole pattern is early big bearing

What does your housing flange look like from the picture. Mine is new style and looks just like it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Should be same tapered roller bearing for 78-79. Prob earlier than that, as I had a 77 F150 with same axle as 78 Bronco.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts