Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco XLT Ranger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm sure I am just a dope, BUT I cannot figure out how to get my door switch out? The drivers side is intermittently working (turns on the dome light) if I wiggle it around. I would like to remove it and check it out or replace it, but I can't get the dang thing out and I'm afraid I will break it.
Any tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
I haven't removed one, yet (I need to someday), but I was under the impression they just spun out much like a spark plug would where they have threads of their own rather than threading into a u-nut or a nutsert like a lot of bolts do.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco XLT Ranger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was thinking the same but there's no way to get a tool or even my hand in there to unscrew it.
There is a small hole behind the dash where I can just barely touch the back of the switch but no way I can grab the switch let alone turn it either way.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
Here's a pic of one from JGB. It looks like you just slide a socket over it and spin it out. Other than that I have no idea. Hopefully someone else who has done it already can chime in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is exactly what you do. I replaced mine and my dome light has worked perfectly since. Unscrew with a socket from the door jam and pull the wire out and replace.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The A pillar is threaded so just put a socket or wrench on the hex and turn it out

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is exactly what you do. I replaced mine and my dome light has worked perfectly since. Unscrew with a socket from the door jam and pull the wire out and replace.
Here are the ones I used

·
Registered
1978 Bronco XLT Ranger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Man my fingers are sore from trying to unscrew them through the tiny hole from behind!
I appreciate the info and the new switches are on their way!

·
Registered
1978 Bronco XLT Ranger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got two coming from O'Reillys. Not sure about where you guys are from but Auto Zone here in CA are the absolute worst for parts and service.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
754 Posts
My go to is Napa, orileys was 20/80 for getting the right part, just annoying going back for the right one.
But auto zone I’ll never buy at! I’d buy over the counter parts from a dealer first!
My wife (has a certification in auto collision repair from years ago) walked in and got in line at the counter with a busted part I needed in hand , two guys in front of her being helped by the two guys at the counter, three more walk in behind her....... aszhole # 1 waves at the guy behind her up, ok maybe he went out to get something and was in line once already.... d/(khead + 2 tells the other guy behind her to step up..... #1 goes to do it again and now she’s pissed... as she calls me so I can hear the issue, she asked them both loud enough for the McDonald’s two buildings down if there’s a problem with helping a woman, one idiot said I didn’t see you standing there as the other jerk says I thought you were with one of these guys! Really, I had a comerciall account there from my detail/ accessory service I ran...... she put it on speaker and I told them both we were done doing business there.... they both knew who I was and regretted it , subsequently several other friends of ours (also business owners) changed there store brands when they heard what happened.
On a side note TLW graduated top of her class Auto Collusion Repair with honors, got a $2000 scholarship for auto body tools, and a free trip to the N.A.C.E. convention and ceremony in Las Vagas......... nobody would hire her even though several of the screw off dropouts got hired, Scotty’s Auto Body in Hillsboro (WOMAN OWNER) actually says “ What are even doing here, this is a mans industry”ripped her resume in half and tossed it in the trash in front of her. Wish she’d have gotten that on video.
Now back to you regularly scheduled door switch thread.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My go to is Napa, orileys was 20/80 for getting the right part, just annoying going back for the right one.
But auto zone I’ll never buy at! I’d buy over the counter parts from a dealer first!
My wife (has a certification in auto collision repair from years ago) walked in and got in line at the counter with a busted part I needed in hand , two guys in front of her being helped by the two guys at the counter, three more walk in behind her....... aszhole # 1 waves at the guy behind her up, ok maybe he went out to get something and was in line once already.... d/(khead + 2 tells the other guy behind her to step up..... #1 goes to do it again and now she’s pissed... as she calls me so I can hear the issue, she asked them both loud enough for the McDonald’s two buildings down if there’s a problem with helping a woman, one idiot said I didn’t see you standing there as the other jerk says I thought you were with one of these guys! Really, I had a comerciall account there from my detail/ accessory service I ran...... she put it on speaker and I told them both we were done doing business there.... they both knew who I was and regretted it , subsequently several other friends of ours (also business owners) changed there store brands when they heard what happened.
On a side note TLW graduated top of her class Auto Collusion Repair with honors, got a $2000 scholarship for auto body tools, and a free trip to the N.A.C.E. convention and ceremony in Las Vagas......... nobody would hire her even though several of the screw off dropouts got hired, Scotty’s Auto Body in Hillsboro (WOMAN OWNER) actually says “ What are even doing here, this is a mans industry”ripped her resume in half and tossed it in the trash in front of her. Wish she’d have gotten that on video.
Now back to you regularly scheduled door switch thread.
sounds like she needs to start her own shop doing the work right and drive everyone else out of business...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1978 Bronco XLT Ranger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree 100% with Napa, unfortunately I don't have a Napa anywhere near me. In my experience O'Reilly's has been pretty good (not perfect) but pretty good and usually can get parts very quick if not in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts