Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
After selling my 79 bronco a few years ago I've been itching to get back into the bronco world. Well my neighbour bought a 78 f100 and seeing it sit out front put me over the edge. After reading countless craigslist ads and even going to look at a few Broncos I had all but given up. They were all rotted out something terrible and the people wanted gold for them. Well on the way back from looking at one I hit Craigslist and found my perfect project. So after looking at it the next day I drug home this

A 1978 bronco ranger XLT. Red interior, factory cb plug, c6 auto, np203. The catch is someone has swapped in a 390. A car 390 at that. They did a miserable job with the swap so there is a lot of work to be done there.

Over all the truck isn't to bad. Floors and quarters are the most of it. Rear body mounts and a tailgate would top it nicely but aren't needed yet.

Here are a few more pictures

Sadly those are the best pictures it's going to have for a while as I'm stripping out rust and it's going to look a lot worse before it looks any better

Anyways feel free to comment or critique my rebuild.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I did the rear brakes and dropped the leaky fuel tank. Also took the wire brush to some iffy rust spots to see if it was just paint letting go or if it needed metal work. 9 times out of 10 it was just bad paint. So now onto the ordering parts game. Already have ordered the correct engine stands for the 390 along with headers and the 390 power steering bracket. Now I should add poly fuel tank and straps

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, 33 gallon plastic tank and skid plate delete straps are ordered. Now to start making body work decisions. I am thinking just patch it and run the winter and let the salt do its damage then do a full repair in the spring. I know I'm already looking at full quarter panel replacement and at least a full drivers floor piece

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take a few. There is a lot of bondo in this thing. It's going to need full rear quarters if I want mostly metal rather than mud

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks awesome. Great year. I wonder if those panels are kicking around the net.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing the resto

·
Registered
133 Posts
Took some pics today while I was working on the rear window issues. Turns out I've got a bit of a wiring issue as someone had a wire off the battery run right into the fuse box for power

Ordered the parts I need to fix the rear window. I'm just having a hard time chasing power as that fuse box probably isn't allowing me to do anything the right way

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ups came through big this week with my engine stands, new motor mounts, my 33 gallon plastic tank and straps. Got the engine stands in and finally got my headers installed. They sure don't leave much space to put an exhaust in there.

Today's project is wiring and if I get fed up with that put the fuel tank in. Also new guts for the rear window motor and a new tailgate latch. I will take some pictures along the way since build threads suck without pictures

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,886 Posts
been there. sucks. my brother and I were working on installing a new one and we were both putting leaning into it a bit. alone... neither would have been a big deal but apparently we caused a twist and she shattered like... well, like glass. :toothless

saw you're intro comments about the sliders. I'm sure many would love to trade you but FWIW, I'm pretty sure we had a thread around here about how to replace and/or rejuvenate the old slider rubbers using an updated, different rubber from something with very little modification.

I've used the LMC floor pans to patch my '73 F250 a few years back and I'd use 'em again in a heart beat.

anyway... look forward to watching it come together. :thumbup

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either I over tightened the bolts for it or I just got caught by 37 year old brittle glass. It's not the end of the world, enough Broncos are being parted on Craigslist I can go get a whole tail gate for it. I'm sure there is what I need on here but I don't have enough posts to hit up the classifieds yet

I already got another top with the solid glass windows. Just seemed easier that way.

As far as lmc panels I wouldn't use anything but them. They fit perfectly on my 95 F350.

Also I scored a gem yesterday. Stay tuned for pictures

·
Registered
133 Posts
Went on a road trip yesterday to buy a c6 and np205 transfer case. Not an easy combo to find let alone hooked together with the FE bell housing I needed. None the less after a 3 hour ride I made it to where it was and without more than 3 questions I bought it. The kicker of the deal is when the guy asked me if I would be interest in what it used to be hooked to. As I love to look at stuff I said I'd have a look. Well sure enough he had a 390 sitting there. Far better shape than mine. Had the truck pan, power steering pump, and not chewed up wiring. A few oddities caught my eye though. It was a car engine. Still had the front dipstick (trucks had the hole but blocked it off). Had a car power steering bracket setup on it, and lastly the intake had been changed as there was a poor gasket job done. So running the numbers off it was semi useless as anyone with FE knowledge knows the casting numbers just tell you what it might be. Long story short between the head casting numbers, block numbers, and a few other clues it's either a 428 police interceptor or it's an S code 390 from a mustang. The heads match those two perfectly and the block is one that would have been used for either of those. It's a pre-cobra jet engine so it has the 8 bolt exhaust manifold pattern. Either way I won't know for sure till I pop the heads and measure the bore and stroke. I'm not getting my hopes up as it could still just be a truck engine with an odd set of numbers. Anyways I got it for a steal. 400 for everything which is fair considering the rarity of the combo. I snapped a few pics

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Popped the head off to do the final assessment. The bore is 4.125 and the stroke is just ever so shy of 4 inches. Run those numbers through the Internet and it's a 428. Given the c7me-a block and the c7ae-a heads they match parts used on the PI 428. Still don't know if I want to use it or not. That's a lot of motor for a bronco that's going to be a daily driver

1 - 20 of 201 Posts