Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
It's nice having those kinds of perks. I did however move my bronco off the shop floor and into the storage area since we are getting busy again. It's not a space issue more than a trusting of people to be careful around it

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's going to be really nice. Glad to see you decided to keep going with it. I had an 81 corvette 4spd. I liked it but it was sort of useless. Nice car though. It just wouldn't get up in the rocks and snow like my 4x4. LOL Like you said just get the street car a little later. Keep up the good work it's coming along nicely.:thumbup:popc1:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Well this bronco is going to be more of a street toy than anything. I don't plan on off roading it

No progress to report, my daily driver took a dump so I've been working on that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey man have you had any time to work on the build? Or are they keeping you busy at work? You said you had some problems with another rig you had to work on. :popc1:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I've actually been busy working on other things. Had to rebuild the zf5 in my super duty along with a few other side jobs. Work is picking back up so that's not helping either.

I plan on getting back to it this week though. Gonna spend as much time as I can on the bottom of the tub to get it done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looking good! I like seeing the pictures of the body off. I'm going to have to pull mine off to. Pics are helpful.

Jess

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I can take tons of pics. I will try to get some of the areas that mine rotted out so people know what to look for

·
Registered
26 Posts
Allan,
I have read several places about using some sort of heat sink with sheet metal welding. Does this make a significant difference with possible blow by?
I am asking this as a beginner, so there is that. But should this be a step in my process?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Allan,
I have read several places about using some sort of heat sink with sheet metal welding. Does this make a significant difference with possible blow by?
I am asking this as a beginner, so there is that. But should this be a step in my process?
If you mean by blowing holes in your weld it definitely helps as long as your joint is tight to the heat sink. It's not always practical or necessary, I just try to use one when I have a long weld to do not near any breaks or other stiffening features in the panel.

BTW how goes it kanuck15? Any news?:popc1:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
No this has been slow, I adopted a 1997 F250 Regular Cab Long Bed 351w auto that Ive been working on. Although I did find a place locally that will sandblast my frame for cheap here after the new year so thats coming up shortly.

Not that it matters to the build but tomorrow I am going to pick up a 460 out of an 86 f350 and a 4x4 c6 the guy has laying there with it. Cant pass up the deal for 150 bucks. Ive had the itch lately to just go to a 460 in this project due to the availability of parts and the bump in power. I am having a hard time finding 390 parts that dont break the bank. Seems like 460 stuff is a lot more available

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Allan,
I was told by an older fella that when he did sheet metal he kept a bucket of water and a sponge handy. He would weld a little then use the sponge to dab the weld area to keep it as cool as he could. Given the amount of sheet metal welding ive done lately I dont see this have a huge affect on the outcome. Proper fit up and taking your time seems like the best route of any out there

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quenching with water can harden the weld and actually make it brittle, not what you want if you have to do any hammer and dolly work. A heat sink is more gentle but not often practical. I often use compressed air to cool things down as I go. A good fit and patience help more than anything.

Thanks for the update.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,848 Posts
never had a problem with sheet metal going brittle on me. I don't use a soaked rag on the welds... but I will use it for heat-shrinking after the fact.
When I patched the floors on my '73 F250, I crimped all the edges on the floor and the patch panel, leaving me a small but level overlap. I drilled small weld holes in the patch (like spot-welds)on the crimped edge, to secure it and then went back around and welded the patch panel in solid, a few inches at a time. When I finished, I still ended up with a slight pop-can effect on the floor, so I found the rough center of the "pop", heated it to a light glow with a torch and cooled with a soaking rag, room temp water. The rapid cooling tightens up the molecules in the metal and causes it to shrink up, and viola... no more pop-can on the floor. Same basic method I was taught in AutoBody R&R in college, decades ago. :shrug

This...

Ends up like this...

Being a MonstaLined floor pan... I was less concerned about making it clean and smooth... like I would for a body panel but you get the idea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never got that pop can effect on mine but I get what you are saying. I think we have talked about this before

In other news I got the 460 today. Looks pretty clean and the oil looks good. Guy said it has 66k miles on it. We will see once the heads come off.

Kind of sad the only part I'm going to be using is the block. Everything else is basically junk to me

141 - 160 of 186 Posts