Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 1978 Bronco come with Cataylic converters? Normally I could give a crap about it, but up here in Yankee land they give out emission tests. So if they did come with them I was going to install a new one when I put a new exhaust under the Bronco.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I might be corrected but I think only 1978 Cali Broncos had cats (& thus ran unleaded fuel).

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
The 1978 had no cats because it was the first year for a fullsize Bronco and they had no idea what to do with it, so it was rated as a heavy duty truck and therefore had no cats.

In 1979 a lightbulb went off and they were like, damn, this is just a half ton truck like a F150 and it needs cats. So yeah, 1979 has them, 78 doesn't.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1978 had no cats because it was the first year for a fullsize Bronco and they had no idea what to do with it, so it was rated as a heavy duty truck and therefore had no cats.

In 1979 a lightbulb went off and they were like, damn, this is just a half ton truck like a F150 and it needs cats. So yeah, 1979 has them, 78 doesn't.
In that case I can run true Dual with no cats, sweet.......:beer:rockon

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
When I went to smog my 78 It didn't have a cat, but being in CA I had to put one on even though it came with out stock. But that Calif BS for ya.

·
Registered
297 Posts
idk how pa is but up here in maine u can reg anything over 25 yrs old as an antique and u dont even have to get it inspected i run true dual strait pipes and man nothing sound better then that i love it other people dont :goodfinge lol but i do :histerica

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
idk how pa is but up here in maine u can reg anything over 25 yrs old as an antique and u dont even have to get it inspected i run true dual strait pipes and man nothing sound better then that i love it other people dont :goodfinge lol but i do :histerica
Running antique plates you are limited by the miles you can put on, I want to drive it to work, fishing, hunting, and off-roading!:thumbup

·
Registered
297 Posts
the law here says u are supposed to only take it to shows but how are they to tell you are not going to one? i drive mine every day every where i go for 2 years and have never had a problem ive been pulled over a few times for loud ex and just got a warning because by law they cant write u up for it with the antique plates but yet they never ask if you are going to a show and there is no mileage limit u can go here either so there are loop holes it also makes it so they cant say much about a lift either. no inspection no emisions in my book its the way to go and still be street legel

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the law here says u are supposed to only take it to shows but how are they to tell you are not going to one? i drive mine every day every where i go for 2 years and have never had a problem ive been pulled over a few times for loud ex and just got a warning because by law they cant write u up for it with the antique plates but yet they never ask if you are going to a show and there is no mileage limit u can go here either so there are loop holes it also makes it so they cant say much about a lift either. no inspection no emisions in my book its the way to go and still be street legel
If you ever get involved in a wreck there will be issues. Something I want to avoid. It's one of those situation is the risk worth the fun.:beer

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here in washington it's show's, testing, or "pleasure driving". I cant tell you how many 60's vw's I see driving around with rust holes miss matched doors spitin clouds of black smoke. I don't drive mine as a DD only because I drive to far but I would do it all day long. Every time I drive the "beast" it's testing or pleasure right?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here in washington it's show's, testing, or "pleasure driving". I cant tell you how many 60's vw's I see driving around with rust holes miss matched doors spitin clouds of black smoke. I don't drive mine as a DD only because I drive to far but I would do it all day long. Every time I drive the "beast" it's testing or pleasure right?
It can be translated differently depending on what cop you talk to. One says no, other says yes.

I just don't want to roll the dice on that option.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I would just get 2 high flow cat. There going to do very little on restriction,and some are nice and small.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts