Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post ,and I have been reading and learning from this group for several months. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Through them, I have made some good progress toward my own Full Sized Bronco.
I hesitated for as long as I could, sharing my own experience, because I know everyone wants "Pictures,Pictures,and more Pictures". The pictures will come. It's just that I'm moving pretty slow on this, and I didn't want to leave you hanging. When I have made some progress, I will go back and share in the builds forum.
To bring you up to speed, the frame is back from powder coat, the new Grade 8 hardware is in hand, and I have to make some smart choices.
The purpose of this truck is to travel coast to coast, pulling a small camper, and doing some wheeling where ever I end up.
I need to know how tall a 78 will be with a 4" lift and 35" tires. ( this truck must fit in the garage) and I love how this stance looks. If it's under 6' 10'' , then I need to know what gear ratio is best for this setup, considering the before mentioned purpose of the truck.
If I can make a good choice with some input from the group, then I can send my axles out to be rebuilt, and order my lift kit. From there it's a rolling chassis again! Thanks

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Hmmm - a little math says 35" tires will raise the truck about 2" taller than the stock 31" tires, and a 4" lift is about 4", so 4"+2" is 6". Your truck should wind up about 6" taller than it was when stock. Measure it before you install the lift and tires, add 6" - easy peasy

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
:So uh where's the pics?

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey350. Registered user since 2009. Over 1800 posts. You are obviously a bronco expert. The door sticker on my Bronco says the stock tire size is L78 - 15B. That tire measures 29.9" in diameter. After mounted to the truck,with the full weight on them, they measure 28.5" tall. That's already 2.5" shorter than your easy peasy starting point. As I mentioned before this is a frame off restoration. There is not much of a truck to measure right now. Thanks for offering your help, but I'm hoping some people with a truck like I'm trying to build, could give an accurate measurement. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Best gear ratio for 35" tires would be around 4:56.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
welcome to the forum

great choice in years
I too am rebuilding a second 78 to replace my 78 trusty rusty steed

if you are going to run 35'' tires and pull a small camper(specially one that may have no brakes) you will want to upgrade the brakes

I have 33''s on my 78 with 2'' lift and the brakes have always been pretty sucky in the 23 yrs I have owned it, never great,just ok
they were not much better when I had the 31''

I run 411 gears ,I swapped from 350 when I added 33's as I found it too putsy with the stock gearing
specially when pulling
I have pulled a 62 caddy from east coast maine to Detroit with no issues in gearing

personally,while I love the look of 35's and more lift,I would not want my bronco any taller that I have it as I can pretty much drive it anywhere including most parking garages .and that is important to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TrustyRusty. Great info. THANKS. Any chance you could tell me the height of truck. How short of a parking garage can it get into?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I will get some measurements this weekend
I have ot unhook my boat as it droops a couple inches and park it on pavement as it is currently on gravel

I think u can get under 6'-6

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Your '78 was 75.5' tall when it was new - work up from there - 2.75" of tire, 4" of lift - now you can do the math.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My 78 has 4" lift and 35" tires.,,,

I set an 80" magnetic level on the highest point of the cab, ie that raised band at the back of the roof.

With the level showing level, the driver side was 78 7/8 inches. The pass side was 81 1/2 inches. I know the ground is not level where the Bronco is parked. Hope this helps.:thumbup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's. I will start shopping ,and with any luck, I will start my build thread in about a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts