Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 78 f150 4x4 frame that I want to lift. I planed to do that by doing a rear shackle flip, and using the front hanger from a 1970 f250 as the new rear hanger. If I were to take out the lift block, I calculated that it should give me about 4 or 5 inches of lift in the rear. My problem is, I may want to swap superduty dana 60 axles under the frame, and Im thinking about how I would do the front lift. Has anyone done a leaf spring conversion up front with dana 60s? My plan so far was to get more hangers and re-use the rear springs on the 250 up front on the 150 frame (and take out a leaf or so for ride quality.) Feel free to criticize my idea or give me pointers, this is my first build and I have very little idea what im doing.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
How are you fab skills? Any reason you could not just make these and keep front coils?

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you fab skills? Any reason you could not just make these and keep front coils?

Well really, I kinda think it might be cheaper to just do leafs up front with a 99-04 Dana 60 (or maybe even a 50, running 37 or 38 inch tires.) Currently, I have no idea how good or bad my fab skills are because ive never really tried.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would definitely keep the radius arm design when adding superduty axles. I think by essentially keeping the original design, you have something to copy when gluing in different axles.

The guy in the build thread below purchased extended radius arms and weld on C's to attach his axle. You can do that with some coils, and be in it reasonably cheap. At the end of the day, whether you are welding on C's to the axle or you are attaching spring mounting points to the front of the truck its only metal and glue.

Lots of good info in this build thread. The superduty swap starts on page 4. His stuff came from Jim at Bloody knuckle Garage.

Also, I think he did a shackle flip in the rear. This Sky shackle flip kit may be the best option for a shackle flip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts