Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this one has me and a few others stumped..on the bottom of my speedometer gauge is a little warning looking window that hasn't illuminated yet and im not sure what its for. I tried holding a flashlight to it and can barely make any letters out, and i really dont want to pull it out of the dash to find out what it is so figured id post it here. See pic below.. any Ideas?

1978 Bronco
Photo Apr 12, 1 32 30 PM.jpg
Ranger XLT
California car
cruise control

·
Registered
493 Posts
Could it be your cruise control light? Mine doesn't have cruise control and doesn't have a light there. Your bulb might be burnt out, I just swapped all mine out for some LED's it was really easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly, although the cruise control feature is broken currently. i was hoping to just get a quick confirm of what it was before pulling things apart.

also, was there a kit or certain model numbers you bought for the LED upgrade? are they still dimmable, brightness level good?

·
Registered
2 Posts
possibly, although the cruise control feature is broken currently. i was hoping to just get a quick confirm of what it was before pulling things apart.

also, was there a kit or certain model numbers you bought for the LED upgrade? are they still dimmable, brightness level good?
My 78 XLT with cruise doesn’t have that light. Not sure what it is.

I upgraded mine to LED. You just buy the led equivalent of the bulb you’re replacing. I believe 194 is the bulb type. Buy the same color led as the bulb you’re replacing or else it won’t be very bright. So green for turn indicators etc. the stock filters in the dash are blue to turn the yellowish stock 194 bulbs the green color. So if you still want green, you will need to buy green bulbs and remove the filters. Otherwise you will want blue. I chose to use white bulbs and remove the filters as it makes it much easier to read at night. They are not dimable however I would call them too bright. They’re are just right for me. Total cost was easily under $15 with some spare bulbs due to some coming in 10 packs for $3-4 on eBay.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,658 Posts
Well I can't answer your question, BUT!... I did some searching, because I know there are a few different gauge clusters of this era that are interchangeable. A common swap, since guys often have their cluster crumble, is a cluster out of an Econoline. I searched clusters and this one popped up showing that little "window" you have there below your odometer. I'll try to investigate, but at least you'll now have an avenue to go down in your search for an answer.

I can't get the pic to link from the webpage, so here is an attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, although my gauge/cluster is for a 78 and the window is a little smaller. Its a California truck so not sure if its emissions related as well. Im going to try and get the Cruise control working and maybe it will work.. oh well the search continues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I seem to remember someone else asking the same question on some other site or FB. If I remember correctly, its from an F150 and the light reads "Economy". Supposedly to help you drive with a lighter foot...

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
752 Posts
My 78 XLT with cruise doesn’t have that light. Not sure what it is.

I upgraded mine to LED. You just buy the led equivalent of the bulb you’re replacing. I believe 194 is the bulb type. Buy the same color led as the bulb you’re replacing or else it won’t be very bright. So green for turn indicators etc. the stock filters in the dash are blue to turn the yellowish stock 194 bulbs the green color. So if you still want green, you will need to buy green bulbs and remove the filters. Otherwise you will want blue. I chose to use white bulbs and remove the filters as it makes it much easier to read at night. They are not dimable however I would call them too bright. They’re are just right for me. Total cost was easily under $15 with some spare bulbs due to some coming in 10 packs for $3-4 on eBay.
I did the same,kept the green. Superbrightleds.com has a conversion table. Just enter 194 and bingo,LED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts