Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 569 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the start of my Bronco Buildup. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Finally got enough money to even think about building a Bronco and I finally got in a position that I feel stable enough to take on a project.

So to start with here are some beginning pics,

There's the Bronco!

The Worst side, (Driver and rear)

Alittle rust along the passenger side fender,

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Interior,

Worst of the rear floor,

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After running a compression check I'm going through the process of getting the motor loose. The compressions are not very encouraging so I'll probably end up replacing the motor or rebuilding this one.

But to get it running and see if I can loosen the cylinder rings to get by with this motor while I complete some of the other needed projects on the Bronco, I am soaking the rings in Marvel Mystery oil and also I'm getting another 2 barrel carb to rebuild on the bronco.

Until then I guess I'll start focusing on getting the brakes in shape.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man it looks like you have a project and a half on your hands with all that rust.
I agree with you on that one.

The Frame is solid, rusty, but solid.

My plan was to put a lift kit on it and so I wasn't worried about the suspension. Also This truck is going to be subjected to the winter so I will do some patch work to keep it solid but I don't see it being all original.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since I was waiting to let the MMO do it's magic to the cylinder I figured I'll jack it up and see what the verdict under the body and the brakes.

Think these drums are reusable?:rofl::histerica

Once I got the drum off the axle spun easy since the transfer case is in Neutral.

So I'm going to start ordering brake parts and figured I'll order from one of our vendor. Since I'm buying a lift kit from them might as well deal with them.

Matter of Fact I think he should offer some kind of discount! :whiteflag:haha

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the cutting torch came in today and I had to test it out, so I cut the bumper and hitch off since they was too gone and I didn't want to even think about salvaging it.

Looks like the frame is straight, the bumper and bracket took most of the hit.

If the bottom of the frame is not suppose to be bent inward then it did a perfect bend to get both side the same angle!

The tank straps are gone too so I will just cut them out with snips and get the tank out of there.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am speachless!
You are not the only one it seems, :histerica

One day at a time is all I can do to get it back to shape to put on the road, if I didn't think the frame and body wasn't solid enough to do this, I wouldn't be working on it.

Not many people can do this on their kitchen table.:histerica

I got another carb from home it's in the garage soaking in carb cleaner.

This carb didn't have a kick down linkage for the transmission so I'll have to rig something up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Only thing I can think of in that small of a space it to break it down panel by panel and get that frame sand blasted and powder coated. THen go back up with the same process. Good luck and keep posting pics.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only thing I can think of in that small of a space it to break it down panel by panel and get that frame sand blasted and powder coated. THen go back up with the same process. Good luck and keep posting pics.

Not going to powder coat it, I'm going to por 15 it.

The frame is being striped down so I can clean the frame with a wire wheel and brush. I'm putting a new brake system, fuel system, and suspension back on the frame as I go.

The Axles will be rebuilt also. Only thing that won't be touched in this round is the body, motor, transmission, and transfer case.

After I get the suspension and brakes done I will start getting ready to pull the motor and transmission for a rebuild. But I'm hoping the motor will last me til Spring so I can drive it during the winter month up here in PA. I don't want to subject my ranger to the harsh weather. Also the Body will not be rebuilt to perfect cause I'm going to drive this thing in the woods and trail rides, along with taking it hunting, fishing, and cruising around town!:rockon

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the rearend, leafs, gas tank, and shocks out today.

This spring still looks good! LOL

I got the rearend in the other garage.

Tomorrow I will probably work on the carb since i finally got the right kit from NAPA today.

Also I'll get the spring hangers off the frame along with other little stuff that needs to be taken off.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frame is stripped and ready to start cleaning and painting POR15 on it,

Rear wiring harness tucked back away from work area. The floor is solid due to the oil and such that's on the floor, Should I leave it since i'll be driving it in the winter?

POR15 should here in a few days so I'll probably clean and paint this weekend.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I thought my rust was bad :doh0715:

Are you taking the body off the frame, and if not, are you checking the body mounts?

on a side note, I probably would have removed the doors, tailgate, top and hood before I put it in the garage. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Big Props man. You are serious about this project. Don't lose steam. Sure beats chasing whores & drinking doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought my rust was bad :doh0715:

Are you taking the body off the frame, and if not, are you checking the body mounts?

on a side note, I probably would have removed the doors, tailgate, top and hood before I put it in the garage. I learned that the hard way.
Actually not planning on removing the body, but I did check the mounts out and even used a jack and a piece of board to lift the body up wuth the frame attached. I jumped on the tires and since it didn't break apart I figured it's in good shape!

I might have this in the wrong section, but I'm not doing a total rebuild. I'm just planning on redoing the whole suspension, rebuild the motor and tranny if needed, and patch the body up to keep it solid. Along the way I'll modify the stuff for better performance. But since i'm pretty much redoing a lot of it I figured this might be the ideal section.

But my goal is to get a good dependable rig built that can get me in places that a stock rig couldn't, but at the same time not worry if I scrap the side of the body if I hit a tree trying to get out of a situation when I go hunting fishing. Along with doing some light wheeling to enjoy the outdoors!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I got the carb, fuel pump, new rotor button and cap, wires, ignition module, and fuel line installed. New oil and a filter is installed also. Poured a little fuel in the carb and it didn't fire.

Took a screw driver put it in the spark plug wire, place it near the tip on the cap and no fire. I suspect either the little piece in the distributor is bad or a wire issue.

1 - 20 of 569 Posts