Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
Doesn't look too good or too bad, how's cab rust? anything on the floors or seam spots?

at least you have plenty of room to wrench and re-route everything! That's a big plus!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Doesn't look too good or too bad, how's cab rust? anything on the floors or seam spots?

at least you have plenty of room to wrench and re-route everything! That's a big plus!!
The rust is what you see rear wheel wells and some at bottom of tailgate. Frame and body perches are all fine. Wyoming is dryer than other states and rust is not as big a deal...

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
sounds good, so you can do it and its not a totally severe operation.
did you maybe store them in the ash tray? I know some guys always leaving the cars "open" and having keys in ash trys or glove boxes....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Sorry I have not been on here in a while.. Been busy with work and Covid and buying a house... too much going on. Got the new fuel tank and welding in the "tanks panel" to hold the new pump in the center and at the correct position. Will post some pictures of that when I get time.

Started thinking about the overall project as getting the engine into the Bronco is the next step. Using the Fat Fender Garage kit, but now sure how this will all line up with the stock NP205 TC position. hopefully I won't have to modify too much.. the ZF-5 is about 1 inch longer than the original NP435 transmission.

My bronco had 31x9.50R15 tires originally. I will likely roll on them for a bit just because they are there and in ok shape. They do need replaced and I will need new wheels at some point too. Trying to figure out the size I can do with the new Coyote Engine and ZF-5 combo.. using this gearing calculator: Gearing Calculator | RPM and Tire Diameter to km/h - mph with Shift Tracer I found that to do 80 MPH in Overdrive 0.76 ratio, with the stock 3.55 gears, I can run around a 35 inch tire and be at 2080 RPM.. Reading that a lot of people say around here that 35 inch tires on stock 3.55 gears will be supper doggy. Is that true with this more modern drivetrain and a manual at that? ZF-5 is 1st-5.72, 2nd 2.94, 3rd-1.61, 4th- 1.0, 5th .76 and with 3.55 diff that puts me here..

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
I think it depends on the engine/transmission and what each individual's perception is as to whether or not a 3.5 rear end will be too doggy. I think auto trannies are more forgiving with their torque converters smoothing things out or masking issues. My NP435 behind a 351M with 35's and a 3.5 rear eventually made my clutch chatter real bad on takeoffs in second (I don't start out in granny gear and doubt most people with a ZF5 will either). With 4.56 gearing that I have now that's not an issue, but it clearly takes the top end away. If I had an OD it'd be the best of both worlds. After my 460 swap I'm able to take off in third if I want to rev it a little more than usual before letting the clutch out. Having more power seems to help. These are my experiences anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ue this one it is tons better with crawl ratios and all.
Not as graphic but does the trick and allows some combo comparisons.
You can compare on the other one too... I really am not looking at crawl ratio, just keeping fuel economy good at highway speeds and keeping engine in the power band most of the time. I know if you keep RPM too low in Overdrive, the moment you start climbing a hill you have to downshift to 4th to keep speed. I do not plan long highway trips, but may end up camping in a few places where you drive a few hours on the highway to get to the trails... want a good spread. Likely will change gears in the future with the upgrade of axles etc. but would likely put in ARB Air lockers at the same time. Just have to save up the cash for that.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
Forgot to mention, driving it with 3.5 gearing and 35's was like having an OD on it's own though. It was nice at highway speeds. I don't drive mine as fast as I would a modern car/truck though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
4.10 or 4.30 makes a good choice over the 4..56. Still keeps hwy rpm down low where most of the torque is and still helps in first gear if ever needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Forgot to mention, driving it with 3.5 gearing and 35's was like having an OD on it's own though. It was nice at highway speeds. I don't drive mine as fast as I would a modern car/truck though.
I do not think the ZF-5 first is really a Granny gear like the NP435(I typo-ed that in the first message..) The 1st is not as tall on the Zf-5...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
5.72 is definitely a granny gear. Compare that to second gear of the NP435 or 1st gear in a C6 or C4. Those are like 2.46:1 in first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
5.72 is definitely a granny gear. Compare that to second gear of the NP435 or 1st gear in a C6 or C4. Those are like 2.46:1 in first.
NP435 that I had originally though was 6.69:1... quit a bit taller. Yes likely will only start in 1st on a hill... 2nd on flat or rolling starts... But doing that is hard on the clutch, even if only in first for a very short burst to get rolling...

Here is comparison with 4.10 gears, green line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
2500 is not bad. Drive an F-150 and see what a 5.0 normally cruises at.
My company work truck is a 2012 F-150 with the 6 speed auto.. it has a commercial topper which has a bit of drag, but you are right, I will take note what RPM I run at at 80MPH with the First Gen Coyote.. It has 275/65R18 tires, but stock diff will be setup for that size tire..

Great idea Hillbilly, will try that out.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeaah you are just interested in what RPM Ford intended as cruise rpm. You will want to come out about the same. Reason later models have lower cruise rpm was to lower fuel consumption and add longevity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yeaah you are just interested in what RPM Ford intended as cruise rpm. You will want to come out about the same. Reason later models have lower cruise rpm was to lower fuel consumption and add longevity.
Yeah, I know that keeping RPM down while Cruising will help with fuel, but like I said above, do not want to constantly have to downshift to climb any hills on the interstate. Also, if I tow any small travel trailer with the bronco, having the 4.10 or 4.30 gears will help with that too. I plan to add an aftermarket Cruise control. The Ford Performance kit does not include anything for it, but because I am likely going with Dakota Digital gauges, and the Coyote is drive by wire gas pedal, the aftermarket Cruise just links inline with throttle connection, monitors speed from gauges and fools the engine computer into thinking your foot is on the gas when instead the cruise module is running it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
They don't offer a DBW cruise for Ford strictly LS. The pull type cable will not work with any DBW throttle body as there is not place to actually connect it.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts