Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new redhead steering box on my 79 bronco. The other day I went and hauled a 65 chevy truck home on my trailer and noticed that at idle it did not want to steer. If I revved it up a little it steered like it should. Is this the pump going out?? It is not making any noise and is full of fluid. The only other thing I did was pull the truck out of its resting place and had it in 4x4 . The bronco spun in 4x4 a few times but cant see how this would have anything to do with the power steering pump going out. Always before I could turn my tires lock to lock idling on pavement.. If this is the pump has anyone rebuilt one before?

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
Well, not really sure, how old is your pump?
I installed a red head gearbox as well, bleed it a lot of times and its working good, not moving in idle can come from not enough fluid, not properly working pump as far as I can understand.
it may be possible that the gearbox fails, but then it would not work in higher rev's as well.

so its may be too less pressure at idle generated by pump.
My pump is leaking slightly, every time after starting engine, there is some oil drops on bottom of pump (lowest point).

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,698 Posts
Was it tougher to turn the wheel, or were the wheels not turning like they should? Too much rear end weight can make the front end light, and steering can really suffer.

65 Chevy huh? Stepside or traditional? 4x4? Is it a future project? I grew up with a black 64 c10 stepside (without spare tire cutout) rotting at the end of our driveway. Would've loved to 'pro-streeted' it, but it was just too far gone.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
very good you solved it!!!

so steerings at all rev correctly!!

is there a peoject of your nice Bronco?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
This looks pretty straight and good condition! Plus nice options, like pusher and sliding windows.

did you bring it back to this or it’s still nice off the days?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts