Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1979 bronco and the steering is loose when your driving and when you go to turn its hard for about a 1/2 turn then loosens up then gets hard again after another 1/2 turn. Has anybody else had this problem if so any info will help thankyou. Im new to the sight and thank yall for having me

·
Registered
33 Posts
It sounds like your power steering box is on its last leg but I wouldn't start there. I can only assume that everything under the hood psteering wise is original so if that is the case you need to start with the pump. Obviously make sure that you have enough fluid in it because if not it will act up in sharp turns or inclines/declines. Clean everything up and check for leaks because you have 2 hoses there that may need replacing. Replacing the pump costs about $40 give or take and depending on your level of mechanical skills you can rebuild it for about $15. If you can judge that all of this stuff looks origninal or several years old it would probably do good to replace it anyway. When checking your fluid see if it is "frothy" or really dirty or discolored if that is the case then there is a chance that you need to look into replacing or rebuilding the power steering box. You can replace one at your local parts store for about $300 but they generally arent very good and you will probably end up replacing it again in a year or 2 (just my observations from other posts on this site). If you do find that it is your psbox then your best bet is to rebuild it yourself (rebuild kit is $50) or buy the kit and have someone do it for you. There are also shops that you can send it to and they will rebuild it for less than $200. Original saginaw power steering is usually pretty easy to trouble shoot but once again depending on your abilities to rebuild parts it can cost you a couple of hundred dollars. I just got finished builing my box about a month ago and it wasn't too bad. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine had some steering issues when I got it, It was loose and kind of wanted to do its own thing, so I bought a Borgeson Double U-Joint Steering shaft from BroncoGraveyard. This fixed the loose steering problem. Mine has a 4 inch lift so I also bought a drop trackbar bracket and a drop pitman arm. this fixed it doing its own thing(that was kind of scary when it did that.) If you look at the u-joint on you steering shaft(Close to the firewall) then turn the steering back and forth a little you can see if it is the U-joint that is loose.

PS have someone turn your steering lock to lock while you look at all of the steering linkage. look for any place where it is loose or binds. Also welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank yall very much for the info (Idwarwick & fordtruck 76)i also for got to mention i just added a 4in lift to the bronco with 35 baja claws, but the truck had the steering problem before i did this so i know it has nothing to do with this. if yall think of anything else i can check please let me know i bought a new ps pump today and will be putting it on monday i also am gonna check the rag joint wheel bearings etc........ i will give all an update after that thank yall again

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome i am fairly new to the site to but been a bronco owner for 22 years. I have had that problem before and for me i somehow got air trapped in the line and as stupid as is sounds i jacked it up and cranked the wheel full turns left and right repeatedley. this is supposed to bleed the system according to some old wheeler buddies i had and it works for me. If all looks normal or you got a small leak and the fluid got down too low this might work for you.

Great choice on tires, i have the 35" bajas and don't think i will ever get anything but mickeys for my bronco ever! This sites a blast!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same half turn stiff steering issue with mine when I first got it...
Couple days later I hit a large puddle in a gravel parking lot and it somehow
fixed it's self lol. Hasn't had that problem since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys again for all the other advice I'm working nights this weekend so can't do sh$& with it till Monday and I'll be sure to let y'all know what outcome I come up with I'm gonna try everything from driving through pot holes to rebuilding my box! That was a try at some humor from the new kid on the block !!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another cheap thing to try would be a bottle of Lucas Oil Power Steering Adative. I am not a fan of fixes in a bottle, but this stuff is like snot thick and seems to actually work well. I put some in my Dad's old beater for him (didn't feel like tearing the car appart for him; pump was noisy and leaking) a year or so ago and it is still running quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most likely the u-joint knuckle or the square tube is seized.

You'll have to disconnect your rag joint and then pivot the steering shaft to see if its seized at the u-joint close to the steering column or if it doesn't slide in and out of the piece that's connected to the rag joint.

Everything on the bottom end of your steering has to move and articulate so your steering column doesn't bind up when steering, I would also check and make sure your rag joint is in good condition as well.

Rick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys tried everything new pump,lucas oil,all new hoses,tighten and losen on the worm gear and nothing so I'm going to take Neds advice and pull apart the rag joint and check that knuckle ! I called the guy I bought the truck from cause when I started looking at the front-end everything looked brandnew and he said that he re-did. The whole front end execpt the steering box so that's where I'm at ! Thanks again this is the best website EVER!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
box adjustment

my truck did the same thing when i last tightened it. turns out i over tightened it to much.
my guess is that the person that sold the truck to you had done that in attempt to fix the steering for selling.
and for the looseness in the steering i would have someone turn the wheel back and fourth while you check for play in your tie rod and track arm. the bar that goes from your box to the hub and diff to the frame.
good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check and make sure the castle nut for your track bar(pan hard bar) is tight! My truck did exactly what you are talking about and I replaced the ps pump thinking it was that, it wasn't. Had the steering box rebuilt and it wasn't that. Then put in a burgeson steering shaft and it wasn't that either. Couldn't figure it out, so went through everything in the front again and found I had a little wiggle in the track bar. I'd replaced the bushings and I guess I didn't torque it down enough. Tightened up the nut and put a new cotter-pin in and she steers great now! Anyway have a look and give that track bar a good yank and see if it moves at all.:thumbup

·
Registered
390 Posts
Most likely the u-joint knuckle or the square tube is seized.

You'll have to disconnect your rag joint and then pivot the steering shaft to see if its seized at the u-joint close to the steering column or if it doesn't slide in and out of the piece that's connected to the rag joint.

BINGO

take the shaft off and soak the ujoint at the top in tranny fluid for a couple hours/days. Work back and forth periodicaly. Problem should go away. If not, replace the joint.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the exact problem as op when i bought my 78 two weeks ago and thanks to the kind advice on here i fixed it.......it was indeed the steering shaft u joint being locked up in one direction and the shaft was also locked up where its supposed to telescope. Thanks to all of the people on here that help out!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had NO powersteering with a new pump and proper bleeding, pulled my box and gave it a thero cleaning and made sure the belt was tensioned properly. I have like new steering now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
alex my truck does the exact same thing ive been trying to figure this out for awhile now so il let u know if i figure it out unless someone else can help us both

1 - 20 of 44 Posts