Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kevin,
yea let me know because i drive it when i go mudding every Sunday and i don't feel to comfortable driving it.
right now im doing disc conversion in my rear axle, since i have a wheel cylinder bad i just went ahead and upgrade to disc.
but let know if you or anyone has the solution to the loose steering.
thank you

·
Registered
98 Posts
i just got into diagnosing the problem for mine and inspected everything in my steering for a problem and i came across the only thing cossing the play in my steering was the steering box. so soon as i get the money im either gunna do a rebuild on it or replace it. but take a look at that cus its def whats causing mine to do it

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,581 Posts
The best thing to do is turn your steering wheel and have a buddy follow the line down to find the slop. 90% of the time it will be your steering box since that usually wears out and is not usually "Routine Maintenance" on our old trucks. Larger than stock factory tires also accelerate wear and tear on rod ends and steering box (as well as transmissions, clutches, brake wear, etc etc.)

Turn the steering wheel and watch the steering shaft go to the rag joint. Then watch the lower half of the shaft starting at rag joint go to the steering box. Then watch the steering box turn the pitman arm and drag link. Then watch the drag link turn the knuckles and tie bar with tie rod ends.

By doing this you can see EXACTLY where the slop is, and what needs to be replaced. The op had a problem with his Steering box locking up (I had the same issue in my 79 f250, it's scary) and your 79 I had the same problem in my 88. It is most likely your box, but it could be rod ends, it could be drag link, or it could be a rag joint. Having a friend help is 100% better than trying to find it on your own, but it can be done with yellow "Tamper seal" as to see what is and is not turning.

**edit**

oops didn't see you already solved the problem. Oh well. Maybe this post can help another newbie down the line...

·
Registered
27 Posts
well i think i found the problem. its the steering box. i move the steering wheel and everything moves including the pitman arm when the truck is off.
i guess i gotto pony up the cash for a new one or go to a junk yard and see if i find one.
thanks guys

·
Registered
98 Posts
i just got me a steering box and installed it a couple hours ago i still have a lil slop in my steering wheel so i guess now i gotta adjust the screw on the box itself and see what happens

·
Registered
125 Posts
The book says to do a 1/4 turn at a time, just an fyi on the mesh screw. DON'T loosen it when you have the truck running, power steering fluid goes all over the place.... found that one out the hard way :banghead

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah lol ive doen that too. ive done research on that adjustment and everything tells me that if i tighten up that screw it will prematurly cause my steering box to fail or cause problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
went through a few minutes ago and my steering shaft were it would clasp for a accident had alot of play in it and was wobbling went u turn it so i went over and welded it solid all the way around and wow all my steering wheel play is gone

·
Registered
27 Posts
i just got me a steering box and installed it a couple hours ago i still have a lil slop in my steering wheel so i guess now i gotta adjust the screw on the box itself and see what happens
how much was your steering box kevin.
my truck is a 79.
where did you buy it from?
thanks

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,581 Posts
hey there guys.
i have a problem with my steering being loose.
its really scary when driving it on the highway.
can anyone have an idea on how to fix it
i have a attached a video of my truck its a 1979 bronco
thank you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSPklz9BV4
Have you replaced your steering box? Have you checked the rag joint? Have you checked your rod ends? All these things need to be checked and we can help from there but most likely it's your steering box. Research your ass off! We can tell you what it "Might be" but obviously you didn't read this whole thread or otherwise you would have known how to diagnose your steering issue.

Go back through and re-read and do some work. It's most likely your steering box but none of us can say 100% for sure what it is. Again, re-read this thread and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 1979 bronco and the steering is loose when your driving and when you go to turn its hard for about a 1/2 turn then loosens up then gets hard again after another 1/2 turn. Has anybody else had this problem if so any info will help thankyou. Im new to the sight and thank yall for having me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kevin,
yea let me know because i drive it when i go mudding every Sunday and i don't feel to comfortable driving it.
right now im doing disc conversion in my rear axle, since i have a wheel cylinder bad i just went ahead and upgrade to disc.
but let know if you or anyone has the solution to the loose steering.
thank you
Hello depending on the play thats the way they made theford trucks back than.Also put it in 4 wheel drive and u wll notice the difference in steering tight.ness when u are mumudding.my dad owned 2 broncos years ago. But might help is a new steering rod. Othing is I have to see the truck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hello depending on the play thats the way they made theford trucks back than.Also put it in 4 wheel drive and u wll notice the difference in steering tight.ness when u are mumudding.my dad owned 2 broncos years ago. But might help is a new steering rod. Othing is I have to see the truck.
Not to burst your bubble but this is a 7 year old thread lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,297 Posts
I'm glad it got brought up. Anyone know of a source for these parts intended to adapt a 4 inch lifted 79 to return it to stock angles? I've seen some drop pitman arms but I have yet to see a drop trackbar bracket for the 79.

Mine has a 4 inch lift so I also bought a drop trackbar bracket and a drop pitman arm. this fixed it doing its own thing(that was kind of scary when it did that.)

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
943 Posts
I'm glad it got brought up. Anyone know of a source for these parts intended to adapt a 4 inch lifted 79 to return it to stock angles? I've seen some drop pitman arms but I have yet to see a drop trackbar bracket for the 79.
Flip the tie rod to the top of the knuckles, and put a riser bracket on the axle, like this

21 - 40 of 44 Posts