Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, been searching all over the place for info on how to fix my rear window wiring issue. Recently bought a 1979 bronco and I've been having the typical rear window issue, I tested then motor and it's working, replaced the interior window switch, replaced the starter solenoid accessory safety relay but still nothing. Checking the connector at the interior relay and I'll have 12 volts 1 minute and then less than 5 volts the next time I check. Checking the wiring at the tailgate and I only have power at the black and white but not the purple green or purple blue, the black and white also fluctuates. The new safety relay also fluctuates. Anybody have any idea what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
25,819 Posts
Yo Fatty_Deposits,
Welcome! Great screen name⚠😎

From 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual by Ford via member Ziggy @ 1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1979.pdf

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as 1978-'79 Bronco Tech that requires 30 posts to view or post) or 1978-'79 Bronco Tech, Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view), etc.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
See FAQ
Our Forum FAQs also includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡ Try to find time to participate in and Vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Did you bypass the safety switch in the tailgate?
Did you pull the harness out of the tailgate and check the harness for damage, including where it runs into the LH tail light housing and then underneath the truck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yo Fatty_Deposits,
Welcome! Great screen name⚠😎
View attachment 167494
From 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual by Ford via member Ziggy @ 1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1979.pdf

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as 1978-'79 Bronco Tech that requires 30 posts to view or post) or 1978-'79 Bronco Tech, Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view), etc.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
See FAQ
Our Forum FAQs also includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡ Try to find time to participate in and Vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al
Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you bypass the safety switch in the tailgate?
Did you pull the harness out of the tailgate and check the harness for damage, including where it runs into the LH tail light housing and then underneath the truck?
I've had the whole harness out already but I may take it out again, didn't see anything wrong, I'll have to try bypassing the safety switch and I'll let you know if that works. Thank you

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Check my build thread out - I have some pictures. I ended up having a harness that looked FINE - but the wires leading up to the window motor connector were CORRODED and I had to make my own connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody have any idea why my ground wire at the interior window switch would be getting hot and a ting sound would coming from the starter solenoid when I push the switch up or down?

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
668 Posts
usually the switch should only click once, when you put ignition on. if it does not, its broken.
the dash switch only works with ingnition activated.
the key lock at rear should have power all time.

Did you check the fuses?

see pictures below

mine was only working in the beginning (when I got the 79) when I hot wired the motor and changed plus to minus to move up or down.

I totally replaced the harness in the tailgate, and its working now (from dash and key lock)

can be fuse 10 - accessory feed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
usually the switch should only click once, when you put ignition on. if it does not, its broken.
the dash switch only works with ingnition activated.
the key lock at rear should have power all time.

Did you check the fuses?

see pictures below

mine was only working in the beginning (when I got the 79) when I hot wired the motor and changed plus to minus to move up or down.

I totally replaced the harness in the tailgate, and its working now (from dash and key lock)

can be fuse 10 - accessory feed View attachment 167518 View attachment 167519 View attachment 167520
Fuse seemed fine, I'll try to clean it up more, tabs on most of them were rusty, where did you purchase the harnesses?

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
668 Posts
I got mine from ebay, but it was from another ford car, but fitted 1:1.
it was pretty expensive: 180 USD, for a used harness part.
I did bridge the connector for the safety switch in the tailgate, as I did not have the part on hand.

even later modell harness may fit.

I do not see any fitting things on ebay on the short view.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm wondering if all tailgate harnesses are interchangeable in between gens? If so I'll just go cannibalize one off of a gen4 or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I read that last gen shall be different, but why not check this at a JY?

would be helpful info.
There was a Lincoln station wagon I think which my harness is from

1 - 15 of 15 Posts