Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a running '79 f150 for my parts truck for my sas on my bronco and my neighbor wants to buy the engine. it ran when we pulled it off the trailer to park it but it wont run now. The guy before me installed a fuel pump shutoff switch so i looked at that but the wires coming off it weren't connected to anything. one stopped under the carpet in the cab and the other went into the engine compartment and stopped up by the distributor. does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fuel pump wires? or know what color they are and where they are routed through? my neighbor wants to hear it run before we pull it. i'm going to bypass the switch because its not very stealable currently. I dont have a service manual for it but i could borrow my friends. would that have the wiring diagram in it? its a haynes.
oh and its a carburated 351 cleveland
Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
The truck should have a mechanical fuelpump unless someone has installed an aftermarket electric unit. Any wiring would be custom. Judging by where the end of one of your killswitch wires was, I'd suggest it was setup to disrupt the ignition.

Check for spark. If you don't have it, stuff the bare end of a wire with 12v into the top of the connector that clips onto the coil - it'll also run the ignition computer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it runs with starter fluid or gas straight into the carb so it has spark. i only see 2 wires coming off the tank and one is grounded so i'm assuming those are for the fuel gauge. i messed with the fuel lines and it looks like it goes from hard lines to the flex line up to the top of engine to fuel filter then to pressure gauge then 2 hard lines to the carb. i dont know that much about fuel systems...

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
As stated above factory was a mechanical pump that is on the side of the engine block near the water pump drivers side.

2nd its most likely not a 351C as that engine was never offered in a bronco or F150 in that year. How ever the 351m look identical to the 351c.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Do you see any fuel in the filter? pressure reg might have crap in it bye pass it and crank the motor over and see if you have fuel coming out the line.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw a truck one time that had a mechanical valve near the fuel tank that would activate via a switch, or in a roll over situation. It was totaly custom, but it worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts