Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I'll finally take the step and and post up my "build" I guess in my case it's more of a "bought" as most things I touch end up broken rather than fixed I find it easier to just pay for most of the work. I also don't have the experience many of you do and do admit its hard to gain any when I'm paying for most of the work however time is a virtue and fortunately I live in an area where labor rates are affordable. In short my admiration for BKO's started from my father, he had a 79 for a couple of years when I was growing up and I really enjoyed my time in that vehicle. Every time I seen one I would reminisce to my younger days and when a buddy had one up for sale I jumped at the opportunity.
Here's a picture of my parents' one of my cousins in front of the bronco and my dad on the right;

The day I brought her home back in Jan of 2016;

The engine ran fine but was needing a rebuild. It was doggish and had several leaks. I had considered a 4bt swap a few years prior on a 68 GMC project I lost interest in so it didn't take much for me to decide to got that route again. With the assistance of a couple of my cousins we stripped the old engine and transmission and loaded it up headed to the builders, he makes his living keep old tractors operating for farmers but had done a couple of similar swaps in the past for himself and friends.

Pictures after he was nearly done. He fab'd mounts for the engine, radiator, inter-cooler, transmission, and transfer case. He also adapted the transmission to the np205.

There were still a few things to button up in these photos
He warned me keeping those farmers in the fields would take priority so nearly a year later I was able to pick it up. I dropped it off in the late spring just as things were kicking off for him. If I'd taken it in the fall he may have gotten it done in just a few months. Here it is the day I got it back, in the mean time my dad had ran it to the tire shop for me to get some new rubber.

we took it fishing several times last summer and I drove it to work a few times. The brakes left quite a bit to be desired and the gearing wasn't right (3.50's). Letting the funds replenish never the fun part but I just took it easy when I'd drive and we got to make many memories.

Sorry these two are sideways. They looked right when I uploaded them.

winter play.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,116 Posts
I'm waiting for the current pic :popc1:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that you're caught up to current here's some photos from today.

I have another thread with some of this information but, I had a friend whose truck burnt. It was a 1999 F-350 and as you can see DRW. It just so happens he operates a machine shop so we struck a deal for his old axles from his truck and the installation into the bronco. Sad for him fortunate for me. The rear axle tag is missing so I'm gambling on it having at least a 4:10 in the rear. It should fix several areas for concern for me. I had priced out building the dana 44 and 9" and it was nearly 2,000 before lockers(going disc in the rear, lower gears, rebuilding the axles, and purchasing new driveshafts). The dana 80 is overkill I understand but getting a matched set, 4 wheel discs, and the fact that it was basically free made it an easy decision.
I also placed an order with wildhorses for their flex-master springs, rear shackles, and new hardware for the install. I got a kit off ruffstuff to help with the installation as well which included new u-bolts for the dana 80, a new top plate, and axle perches. They ended up not using the perches I wish he'd said something to me before making that decision but its too late now.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,116 Posts
I see your bronco was originally the jade color as well...

I have a thing for the light jade 70s fords lol

My 78 F150 Ranger. I call its color, electric lichen haha

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
left my plans a little vague to see if it would garner any comments, I'm not patient enough to wait it out though. I had no intention of leaving it a DRW was going to buy spacers for the rear and put new hubs on the front from a f250 but no one took the bait.
I am actually digging the look though and may end up running it into summer. This is in part due to funds (it was nearly twice as much as I was expecting for the swap) and I still haven't decided what wheels and tires I want to go with.
I had to trailer it home we got about 3 miles from the shop and noticed a rotor was dragging.

This did allow me to get some more pictures of the work though.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,187 Posts
I just figured you were gonna ditch the DRW and put some new rims with one real meaty tire on it. I used to see people do that with their duallies when they'd lower them back when I was in high school. They'd slam it to the ground and use the dually fender like it was a tubbed wheel well. I'm sure people still do that now, but it was kind of an "in" thing in the late 90's. Can't say I've seen it done with a stock height or lifted truck though, so who knows!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,116 Posts
He was researching super singles, until I think he saw the prices. He was real close to a set of gold 20" method wheels wrapped in 37s, but the low price sold em before he could get them. I'm not a fan of 20s but I think they would have been awesome on there.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contemplating running a super single type setup and keep the dually's. We do plan to tow a camper with it and the DRW setup is safer for several reasons. I found this company who markets to fire departments anyone have any experience with this type of super single setup?
https://1stattack.com/super-single-wheels-2/
If I go this route I will buy a new set of dually tires and just rock two complete sets of wheels and tires.

Here's a pic of it washed up.

I drove it to work this week to see if our shop could squeeze it in for an alignment, unfortunately they were not able to. As long as I keep it under 55 it drives great. I bought 5 qt of 70w140 for the rear. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow and find out what gears I'm rocking. I'm really happy with what ever they are with these current tires so I'm guessing they are 3.73. Probably won't like it as much once I go up to 35's or 37's.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,116 Posts
Fantastic company from what I've heard, and that isn't TOO bad on price. If it's good enough for FDs, it's good enough for a bronco. I've seen Stacey David on Gearz TV use some stuff from them.

Might I suggest checking out Bart wheels or US wheel. Bart makes all sorts of wheels. I had a pair on my sterling axle on the 94. US wheel will custom make anything you want.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,187 Posts
Hey, I was sort of right then with my thinking.

Yeah, I went googling after I made my post and saw a few examples of what I was thinking of. A lot of people did comment, on other sites, about the DRW being a lot better and safer for towing and hauling. You kinda get that blow-out protection with 4 tires in the rear vs 2, among other things. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever it is you decide to do. Cool stuff. :thumbup

·
Addicted to Junk
11,116 Posts
Hey, I was sort of right then with my thinking.

Yeah, I went googling after I made my post and saw a few examples of what I was thinking of. A lot of people did comment, on other sites, about the DRW being a lot better and safer for towing and hauling. You kinda get that blow-out protection with 4 tires in the rear vs 2, among other things. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever it is you decide to do. Cool stuff. :thumbup
From the first pic he text me I liked it with the duals. It gives it that heavy duty, ready to work look, without being outrageous like the other couple dually Broncos I've seen. He could simply use a wide flare and have the rears covered. The dually Broncos I've seen have used actual dually fenders and looked quite ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an video from an outting we had Sunday. The heater core didn't survive and that's what the smoke is my wife mentions.
@marshallnoise giving it a little workout.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,116 Posts
Man I miss the sound of a diesel cackling

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Did some cleaning and playing a few weeks back just getting around to posing some pictures. I've decided to go back to single rear wheel it's just going to cost too much to make the dually's feasible. If I were 100% sticking w/ them it would be worth the cost but between aftermarket wheels, tires, spacers, and figuring out what to do w/ the rear fenders I've decided to go ahead and swap over to singles.
These pics are more to document this stage of the build most likely the next photos will be w/ new wheels, and tires.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Curt,
Love the bronco!
Couple requests. Could you post a couple pics? I'll be swapping in a M50DR2 5 speed and 4bt into my 79 also.
I would like to see what your builder came up with for the clutch slave mounting and clutch pedal to slave rod.
Oil pan clearance on both the axle and harmonic ballancer to cross member clearance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts