Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took ownership of a 1979 w a 400 in it. I purchased it off of eBay. I don't have a lot of details other than what I can assume.

The engine looks to have been overhauled see picture. It cranks and runs great but after about 20 minutes starts running hot. I noticed it doesn't have a fan shroud. Any advice on where to start first would be appreciated.

The radiator water is pretty brown.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFTt9FsdyQbOFJ5Z1ZqSmdSc1RDMUNOUXBoVVd3cTlOeEFj

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Coolant flush, factory fan and shroud. Factory stuff is awesome. I drove my Bronco to Alaska with only water in the radiator and less than 200 miles on a rebuilt engine and my temp sat right at 185. The factory fan and shroud are really, really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
agree with deathmobile here

flush out the crap,make sure there IS a t stat in there and the rad is in good shape
do you have anything blocking the grill?
timing not correct can also make it run hot

hard to tell from the pic but the rad looks pretty old too,it can be crusted up inside with calcium build up
I had a cooling issue with my motorhome 2 summers ago ,the rad still looked like new on outside but lower 1/3 of tubes were almost completely blocked off from calcium, it was original 86 gm rad with 80k miles on it

I ran my 78 for 20 plus years with no shroud and 4 blade flex fan with a nice heavyduty 4 core brass/copper rad and never had any cooling issues

if an automatic make sure yiou have a extra trans cooler too as that will help keep engine temps down
my newer to me 79 didnt have a trans cooler and would run warm on the highway,installed a nice size trans cooler and no more issue

·
Registered
275 Posts
Second the coolant flush. The shroud will help but there’s no way you’re overheating simply because you don’t have that. Definitely check your thermostat as well. Once again it won’t be the main culprit but I’d make sure I had the correct thermostat facing the right direction if this was something I was battling.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/351m400-thermostats---old.html

I’d guess you got a lot of build up in the engine, specifically based on the color of your fluid, but the shroud and thermostat will help as well. Plan on a lot of flushes and if it were me, a new radiator after I flushed most of the stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,485 Posts
Agree with everyone else on what has been said so far.
May also be worth putting a timing light on it and seeing where its at too, as that can also make an otherwise healty engine run hot.
As with anything used, id still make it priority to make sure the coolant system is in the best shape in can be too though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Coolant flush and then maybe 180 deg thermostat. I went through the overheating game earlier this year. I flushed it, put in a good 180 thermostat, have no shroud and it runs much better now! Only gets above 200 in traffic, rolls along around 190. I put in a 3g alt in prep for elec fans, but not they are no longer needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Coolant flush and then maybe 180 deg thermostat. I went through the overheating game earlier this year. I flushed it, put in a good 180 thermostat, have no shroud and it runs much better now! Only gets above 200 in traffic, rolls along around 190. I put in a 3g alt in prep for elec fans, but not they are no longer needed.

So youre just using the stock fan blade? PO of mine had a shitty electric fan rigged up and I feel like its very subpar, still had the fan blades and the shroud in the back when I bought it and been thinking of making it stock.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
So youre just using the stock fan blade? PO of mine had a shitty electric fan rigged up and I feel like its very subpar, still had the fan blades and the shroud in the back when I bought it and been thinking of making it stock.

I just have the stock 4 blade fan ,
if the rad is in decent shape, I will work fine
after all it left the factory that way and not likely had cooling issues when new
I find factory stuff usually works best, its when people try to "improve " what the factory spent tons of time and money designing and fail miserably.
most times I see a cheap aftermarket rad as the main culprit that is not large enough but advertised on fleabay as "fits"

hell, the rad from a geo metro will "fit" in my bronco but sure wont work worth a shit
you cant cheap out on cooling systems,i only use a copper/brass rad and have them custom recored at a local rad shop adding an extra core or two,whatever they can squeeze into the factory tanks

not to mention ,if your truck has a original rad,it is probably pretty scaled up inside not cooling as intended ,even if it looks solid on the outside,could be pretty plugged up on the inside
I just went through this in my old 86 454 chevy motorhome and found lower 1/3 of rad was basically useless due to calcium build up plugging the tubes

·
Registered
214 Posts

after all it left the factory that way and not likely had cooling issues when new

I find factory stuff usually works best, its when people try to "improve " what the factory spent tons of time and money designing and fail miserably.

most times I see a cheap aftermarket rad as the main culprit that is not large enough but advertised on fleabay as "fits"

hell, the rad from a geo metro will "fit" in my bronco but sure wont work worth a shit

you cant cheap out on cooling systems,i only use a copper/brass rad and have them custom recored at a local rad shop adding an extra core or two,whatever they can squeeze into the factory tanks

Yeah I wish I could afford that, moneys been real tight lately. Going to try the stock blade and shroud first. Should be fine once the weather starts cooling off, these Mississippi summers are brutal and I'm sure the truck wasn't a fan of that.

·
Registered
214 Posts

not to mention ,if your truck has a original rad,it is probably pretty scaled up inside not cooling as intended ,even if it looks solid on the outside,could be pretty plugged up on the inside
I just went through this in my old 86 454 chevy motorhome and found lower 1/3 of rad was basically useless due to calcium build up plugging the tubes
Finally have a bit more money to throw at the truck and will finish welding in the floor pans that I started over June lol... How did you figure out that your rad was clogged? I have the original one in there and antifreeze is looking mint

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just took ownership of a 1979 w a 400 in it. I purchased it off of eBay. I don't have a lot of details other than what I can assume.

The engine looks to have been overhauled see picture. It cranks and runs great but after about 20 minutes starts running hot. I noticed it doesn't have a fan shroud. Any advice on where to start first would be appreciated.

The radiator water is pretty brown.

IMG_0063.jpg
Change water the trailer package had a little larger rad also timing chain might be slack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts