Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - excited to have my new project - so far I'm thrilled with what I've got.

Each year or two I have some neurosis that makes me go get another project - the past 2 years it was my fishing boat, bu that is more or less done & it's too dang cold outside to go fishing - so I started trolling FB marketplace & every other type of add ap to find a cheap (very cheap) bronco I could work on.

Found a 1979 with a 351M & 4 speed manual (bench seat too!) & the guy was willing to do some bartering so I really got it for a steal (not going to state the price) - but it was cheap.

It runs really well & despite being full of holes it has had a lot of maintenance done to it. Everything works - even the back window. Turn signals - Heck even the radio works great! Crazy.

So one of my favorite parts of starting a new project is going through it for the first time & looking for "clues" to the life it's lived. This truck was built in May 1979 & according to the VIN number it was closer to the end of the 1979 production (I assume they moved to the 1980 sometime around July 1979).

They guy I traded some guns to for the bronco said he would not question hopping in & making a 6 hour drive - it's that reliable. He put in a new radiator & had the rear drive shaft professionally built & balanced. Pops right to life & runs strong. Stops good, 4x4 engages easy & locks in. Plus it has granny 1st gear. So granny first with 4Low & I bet this thing can climb trees!.

Anyway - I finally pulled her into the garage last night (before it started snowing) and took my first look around the interior.

In the glove box to my surprise - I found the original 1979 owners manual! Haha! not only that - but I found a receipt for a Napa Re-manufactured engine that was installed in 2015!!!!!! This is why it runs so good! Someone paid $3000 in 2015 for the reman engine.
The VIN says it came with a 400m - but the receipt says they installed a 351m - so I guess it's a 351.

The body is in pretty rough shape - I should find a clean body & do a swap - but the way my project money comes in - I can only spend a few bucks at a time - so I will probably be ordering replacement body panels one at a time while I work it out.

Anyway - stay tuned - over the next year or two I'm going to be doing some updates!

By the way - if anyone has any tips on how to keep what's left of this tub together while I drive it & stock pile sheet metal I am open to all suggestions.
Quick list - Both rear quarters & the metal inner over the wheel need replaced - the inner metal that protects the interior is solid - not rusty.
Floors behind the driver seat & where the rear passengers put their feet is more or less just gone - pull up the rubber floor & see the ground.
haven't pulled up the rubber floor yet in the front - but I'd guess they are not good.
Tailgate is junk - surprised it's still attached (though the window goes up & down)
front fenders - drivers side is junk - passenger could be saved but with so many good F150 noses out there it will be easier to just replace.
Doors are fixable - but again - why bother - find a good donor truck & steal shamelessly.
Cab corners(?) behind the passenger door is gone - behind the drivers door there are 3 ish small rust holes I can repair.
Rear floor - hard to tell - I pulled up the rubber matt & it was so nasty under there I couldn't tell what was metal & what was dirt. probably just need to replace em.

Wish me luck! It's going to be fun.

Final note - with the manual - it drives like an old grain truck! Ha!

·
Super Moderator
24,200 Posts
Yo Brass Monkey,
Welcome!
And LUCK!
So that your feet don't punch through the floor pan, see 1979 Ford Bronco Repair Parts | Mill Supply, Inc.
I bought from Mill Supply for our 96. Excellent quality, fast shipping, etc!
See other body parts they carry, such as;
1979 Ford Bronco Lower Front Door Pillar Section - Right Side
1979 Ford Bronco Lower Front Door Pillar Section - Right Side
Part Number: 90-73-33-RH
Measurement: 15" x 10" x 5", Right Side, Passenger Side $15.00

■□■
So e free stuff for you:
Ford 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via Ziggy⚠⚠⚠ @
1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure (partial) @ Early Bronco HQ is about 1966-77 Ford Broncos -- 1979 Bronco Sales Brochure

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See Technical Service Bulletins @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB and Wiring Diagrams Database

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Dave Graham's 1979 Ford Truck Manual on CD @ RockAuto
Authorized copy of the Ford manual for all systems. Ask seller if it will run on your PC, etc. with it's operating system such as WIN10. Three Volumes!
Search Google for a better deal.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as 1978-'79 Bronco Tech that requires 30 posts to view or post) or 1978-'79 Bronco Tech, Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view), etc.
I moved this thread to the Introduction section so that you can introduce yourself and your 79 to the crew here.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looeys favorite FSB Links, lots & lots of tech-links @
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ech-links.html
advanced.html

➡ Try to find time to participate in and Vote in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!

Will watch your progress on your 79.
Al

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,568 Posts
I kind of am digging the peppered patina rust look yours has going for it.
Cool truck.
Mine was/is also a rusty one, Just gotta focus on 1 thing at a time and it'll get there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome! Excited to follow along. I swear I saw that pop up on FB! Glad an enthusiast was able to snag it for what sounds like a great deal.

I’m not sure how great the junkyards are around you but I’d be on the lookout for a 78-83 tailgate to replace yours. I only mention it because the 78/79s rarely show up around me but I’ve seen a good amount of 80-83s. Most don’t realize it’s the same tailgate just different glass. As a matter of fact you can actually use an 83-96 as well it’s just a different design.

Best of luck with the project!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yes - the tailgate will be first. Literally just posed an ad on craigslist wanted section looking for a donor truck (front clip & doors & windshield).

The guy I got the truck from had used it & judging from the leaves & maple helicopters inside I'd say it spend much of the spring & summer without the top (that & there wasn't a single bolt holding the topper on - YIKES).

But he also did a lot of good upgrades mechanically - so it's a rock solid driver.

My real issue now is patience - it's crappy, cold & snowy outside so even if I wanted to get started on things - now is not the time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks! Yes - the tailgate will be first. Literally just posed an ad on craigslist wanted section looking for a donor truck (front clip & doors & windshield).

The guy I got the truck from had used it & judging from the leaves & maple helicopters inside I'd say it spend much of the spring & summer without the top (that & there wasn't a single bolt holding the topper on - YIKES).

But he also did a lot of good upgrades mechanically - so it's a rock solid driver.

My real issue now is patience - it's crappy, cold & snowy outside so even if I wanted to get started on things - now is not the time.
Nice! Yeah a donor would definitely be ideal. Hopefully one pops up.

You can’t beat a reman like that, good to know you can trust that portion of the rig.

Patience is hard. Tell me about it haha. I’ve had mine for going on 3 years and it’s not even close. Hoping the patience pays off.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Now that EB's are 50 grand for nice one's. 78/79's have really started to tick up $$.
Probably not going to be cheap to find a body that is easily restorable (let alone clean),
as it's now worth doing that and making money selling the entire bronco.

IE: Beau Brantley

I would just screw cheap sheet metal pieces into the floors for now with some RTV
and really access how far that body is gone. Anything can be fixed, but if you have to spend
1-2 years and 2-3 grand for all the sheet metal, might be worth getting something closer like the
above.

EDIT. Just noticed this thing was ruined with IFS front end. May be able to get it much cheaper
due to that.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,079 Posts
10 years ago, I was pretty much where you are now. I got my 78 as a 10 footer, but under the paint the ants were holding hands keeping it together in places. Same spots you mention... floor pans, rear fender wells, rear door jambs. I went with parts from Mills like miesk suggested, but the majority of the cab floor I fabbed in 3/16 diamond plate. It's solid now. 10 years of here and there labor and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Still picking at it, it's definitely a hobby. I find it very easy to work on compared to any vehicle I've owned. If you like tinkering, you're gonna love it, lol.

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
41 Posts
10 years ago, I was pretty much where you are now. I got my 78 as a 10 footer, but under the paint the ants were holding hands keeping it together in places. Same spots you mention... floor pans, rear fender wells, rear door jambs. I went with parts from Mills like miesk suggested, but the majority of the cab floor I fabbed in 3/16 diamond plate. It's solid now. 10 years of here and there labor and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Still picking at it, it's definitely a hobby. I find it very easy to work on compared to any vehicle I've owned. If you like tinkering, you're gonna love it, lol.
Welcome! Excited to follow along. I swear I saw that pop up on FB! Glad an enthusiast was able to snag it for what sounds like a great deal.

I’m not sure how great the junkyards are around you but I’d be on the lookout for a 78-83 tailgate to replace yours. I only mention it because the 78/79s rarely show up around me but I’ve seen a good amount of 80-83s. Most don’t realize it’s the same tailgate just different glass. As a matter of fact you can actually use an 83-96 as well it’s just a different design.

Best of luck with the project!
You might want to run a relay between the ignition switch and solenoid. They have a habit of catching on fire and burning wires under the dash. Mine did and I thought I ,d save you thr trouble of what I went through.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I found a new 1996 tailgate (repop) that was complete minus the glass. I need to swap the glass anyway so i guess ive started.

Got a patch panel for behind the door. This will be my first real body work experience. Just gonna go slow & do a good job.

I want to make sure i have everything sorted on this new tailgate before i unbolt anything, because once i start she will be in the garage until im done. To minimize the amount of time i cant drive it i will do the prep work.

First question: my 79 window works @ the dash but not fron the key @ the back. I have the full 1996 harness, window switch etc & have tested the motor with jumpers. But the 96 harness has a 4 wire plug & the 79 has 3 wires (the 4th wire is for the rear defrost).

How do i go about testing the harness? Ive added a jumper for the latch switch but cant get any combo of wires to make it work (bench test). I can figure out which 3 wires to connect- but would prefer to test it before i cut into the 79 wires.

My plan for now, make sure it works @ the key. Take it all apart, swap out the proper 79 latches & install the tire carrier catch. Then paint the inside with rust bullet. Put it all back together & then swap the glass & install the tailgate.

Anyone know how to install the torsion bars lol?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I finished tearing out the old floor. Scraped down the rust. Ran a wire wheel over it all. Then hit it with rust reformer. There are 3 or 4 pin holes i need to weld up. Otherwise the back is very solid

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,519 Posts
That's a lot of rust!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts