Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1984 didn't come with the exterior tire carrier. I bought one form 1985 Bronco but I can't figure out where to holes should be drilled? I mounted inner tailgate support bracket, drilled holes for the tire carrier latch and mounted it. Hung the tire carrier on it to mark the cab corners and drill holes, but if I level the carrier with my tailgate body lines the bottom bracket sits to low, and it also hits the bumper? Is there a template for marking these holes somewhere?

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Tire

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
81 custom 351W Manual 4spd 83 XLT 302 manual 3spd OD
146 Posts
I would loosen the bolts on the bumper and see what you can gain. Looks like you don't need a whole lot clearing and you might be able to gain 1/16. You could also play with the brackets on the bumper, might gain a little there.

Another option - use a dremel tool and notch out the plastic.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,394 Posts
Its not that simple... There is a structural bracket built into the body to support the wieght of the tire and rim that, if the Bronco didnt come with an exterior spare tire carrier, that support bracket is not in the truck, so you can't just mount it to the sheet metal, because it will buckle your quarter immediately.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not that simple... There is a structural bracket built into the body to support the wieght of the tire and rim that, if the Bronco didnt come with an exterior spare tire carrier, that support bracket is not in the truck, so you can't just mount it to the sheet metal, because it will buckle your quarter immediately.

View attachment 190625
I have a bracket to put in the cab corner just need to bolt hole locations

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,642 Posts
Looking at his picture, measure the bolt hole recessed spot then use that as a reference to “measure” the photo to the body line for the top bracket use the actual measurement of your bolt hole as the size conversion measurement. I usually don’t make sense so if you don’t get it let me know.

edit : looks to be a little more then 2 bolt holes diameter down to that body line.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,394 Posts
No problem,
Here are some pics I just took for ya from the bodylines, let me know if you need any more measurements.

1-1/8" Lwr Brkt hole to body line
White Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

17-3/16 bottom upper hole, to top lower hole
Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

1-3/8" from the rear view lwr brkt to the body line
Musical instrument Tool Wood String instrument Measuring instrument

2" from upper brkt bottom hole to the body line
Motor vehicle Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

5/8" Lwr Brkt Rear view
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Vehicle door

Attachments

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, D44 SAS, 4.56 gears
5,511 Posts
No problem, I edited to include measurements in text because the pics skew a bit, but my measurements should get ya pretty close.

Thats the beauty of the bullnose sharp edges!
Wow that was a super helpful answer!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I thought it was near impossible to install the bracket if it wasn't there from the factory.

Did you have to cut it up and piece it into place?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

View attachment 190625

you can put a plate of steel in there and make the bracing. theres a write up on here.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
you can put a plate of steel in there and make the bracing. theres a write up on here.
Yes am aware of the need for a support bracket either fabricated or factory. My bronco has the factory bracket & holes, & I just had my rear quarters off and had some pics I could share, so it sounds like everyone that has posted in this thread is aware of the need for this support bracket as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes am aware of the need for a support bracket either fabricated or factory. My bronco has the factory bracket & holes, & I just had my rear quarters off and had some pics I could share, so it sounds like everyone that has posted in this thread is aware of the need for this support bracket as well.
okie dokie

Reactions: Rob_64-365
1 - 13 of 13 Posts