Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic Roadsters II, the company I work for, is going to start making a tonneau style and possibly a full size soft top for the Bronco. We have our own upholstery shop that has been in business for about 28 years and have produced soft tops for our cars as well as full interiors so experience is top of the line here. I am just trying to find out how much interest there would be in these. We are going to make them out of Haartz nylon material, this is a very high quality material, and it would come with either a clear or tinted window. The top will mount using your existing hard top holes, so you will not have to drill any holes, the tailgate section will be secured with an industrial strength velcro, so no drilling will be necessary there either. The tonneau style top will cost $375.00, and the full soft top will be $500.00

Please give me some feedback I would really like some opinions from some true Bronco lovers like myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bring it on!

Speaking of which. I thought I saw something once that actually lifted and held the hard top of a Jeep. Has anyone seen one and do they have one for the Bronco?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think with no drilling required and using the stock holes will be a HUGE selling point. only reason i currently am not getting a soft top is because i would have to drill holes and is a PITA to switch back to the hard top for winter time. If you can swap them both on and off (like jeeps can) i almost bet you'll have those things on backorder for months....

·
Registered
745 Posts
smileybry said:
I think with no drilling required and using the stock holes will be a HUGE selling point. only reason i currently am not getting a soft top is because i would have to drill holes and is a PITA to switch back to the hard top for winter time. If you can swap them both on and off (like jeeps can) i almost bet you'll have those things on backorder for months....
yeah thats DEFINETLY got me sold so far:rockon

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Two items I'd look for:

1. Durability. It HAS TO be able to last through more than a couple of Michigan winters, i.e. salt, snow, salt, ice, and salt can't deteriorate it.

2. Ease of install & removal. If it takes more than 5 minutes to put on or take off, no way. This is of course assuming that there's some sort of structure semi-permanently attached to the truck, though. I second the notion that drilling is OUT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Minnesota where we also have pretty harsh winters so durability was a main concern for me as well, the Haartz nylon material is one of the best on the market so it will hold up. I own a 1990 Bronco and wanted a top but didn't like the idea of drilling holes, or having anything that would take more than a couple of minutes to put on if I got caught in a rainstorm, so I came up with the idea to use our upholstery shop and design a high quality top that would install easily and last a long time, everyone else thought it was a great idea as well so we ran with it!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
score. let us know when its comming out. maybe even do some pre-orders my 91 EB is a more than willing test candidate for when you get the first few made...I'll of course pay for it (pm me whenever)

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
i think it all depends on the looks and what not. you can get a full top[ for under 500 online, and they are a known maker. that would be something to think about as well

·
Registered
961 Posts
if you could send some pictures when they come out, and they look good i know my '90 EB would like to rock one of those.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will definately post some pictures of my Bronco with one on it when I get some, so everyone can get a better idea of the quality, and of the installation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would it be possible to just buy the top without the attaching hardware. Are you saying yours would attach to a frame system of some sort that uses the existing holes? Any cheaper just for the top?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
I'd send you money right now for a full top, especally if no holes to drill.
One thing I hate on jeep tops is that they flap to much in the wind, If you could make it flap free I would give you 800 for it

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
im interested- but would it come with the frame to hold the full top up? if im still going to need to fab. a frame... ill go without.
if you could make a frame that bolted down to the floor... id be game. id be willing to have a couple plates bolted down permanatly...
ace

·
Registered
12 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
im interested- but would it come with the frame to hold the full top up? if im still going to need to fab. a frame... ill go without.
if you could make a frame that bolted down to the floor... id be game. id be willing to have a couple plates bolted down permanatly...
ace
I like your thought as if I did a soft top I would have to figure out some sort of "sport bar" protection. If there was a frame similar to the design(aka strength) of the hard top(picture a hard top without the fiberglass), that bolts to the exisiting hard top location, that would be great. Yes not a true sport/roll bar protection but atleast similar to the existing hard top. or even the soft top frame bolting to the floor(limited drilling of course), which could be a "sport bar", I would be willing to do that. If you consider the softop and a family style type sport bar cost seperately, maybe a combo unit could be a winner. I figure the sport bar soft top combo would more than double the price, but would make people like me consider the soft top. I do like the STC fold down top because I think it's a nice design, but I don't like that it uses a plastic window. Figure if there was a more rigid soft top frame, the rear glass window could be used instead of a plastic window.

http://www.can-back.com/ has what looks to be a sturdy frame(can mount racks on their's but no sport bar) but they don't make one for the late broncos.

Took me a while but I found the top that uses the rear glass on a 4runner to have on a bronco:
http://community.webshots.com/album/548313915BRoCOY
It's a soft top for a toyota 4runner that uses the rear glass
http://community.webshots.com/photo/548313915/2030833650078929180gmTEFs
I wish it had bigger side windows but it's designed to fold back like a car convertable top.
According to the posts it was made by a company called SunTop Products, Inc that closed up in the 90s.

Sorry for the rambling but figure throwing a few options out there would help get a better designed top.

For me, I like the Can-back design but with a stronger "sport bar" frame and uses the rear glass.

Cheers,
Con

1 - 20 of 269 Posts