Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dumb question (only dumber if you don't ask) so here goes:

Putting on new calipers, pads, and hoses. The inner brake pad anti-rattle clip is giving me some grief.

The basic issue is that my passenger side and driver's side do not appear to have been installed in the same way (I lost the passenger side reference because it fell off before i could get to it). My manual seems to indicate one orientation while another internet resources indicated a different orientation. The intent of the clip seems to indicate one install method, yet the condition I received the clips in the kit doesn't mesh with the former well.

Picture is of my driver's side pad (right) versus the new spring and pad on the left. Note that the old passenger side clip looked exactly the same, which is why I originally installed the pad like I did. But after seeing driver's side, I'm wondering if I need to bend the heck out of it to make the tab sit against the bottom female fit of the knuckle? It would seem to function more like a spring in this configuration - I guess what has me thrown is how far off the current spring geometry is relative to the driver's side installed spring. Also, my manual seems to indicate a part of the clip that would extend outside the female fit of the knuckle, unless I can't digest the print?

Passenger side as installed. I feel like the tab should be sandwiched between the female fit and bottom of pad. But the tab is so far away from making it as it is now that it didn't seem right to make it fit.

Ford manual instructions. Leaves something to be desired, or perhaps my knowledge does.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Hello,
You're correct in the way you have the clips attached to the pad. And yes, you do have to bend them a bit to put them in place. That's the intent as they're anti-rattle clips. When you fold the outer part of the spring down and get it into place, it puts pressure on the pad and keeps it from rattling.

In the upper pic, the pad on the right has just had the clip on for a long time, so it's not as springy any more and is staying down.

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Tip to installing:

Put the end with the clip in place first at a 45-ish degree angle, so you can get the clip folded in and in place. This'll make it so you don't have to work so hard to keep it folded in.
Then, pivot on the spring and put the other end into place.

If you try to hold the spring in place and put both ends of the pad into their grooves at the same time, it's a bit harder.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,831 Posts
Following these instructions... I can fit one clip on the inner pad, but there's no way two clips are fitting in there. It's pretty snug with just one clip, and 20 minutes of trying everything I could think of wasn't going to get the second clip past the lip. I can't think of any downside to running just one clip?

Do the clips go on the outer pad, or only the inner? There's no corresponding spot on the outer pad that they seem to fit (everything is thinner than the spot they attach to on the inner). Which is annoying, because play in my outer pad was the entire reason for doing this.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,831 Posts
Found my answer:

"There is only 1 anti rattle clip on the inboard pad. It goes on the edge of the pad and fits up against the caliper bracket. No clips on the outboard pad."

Is that really true that the inner pad only gets one clip? If so, that would explain my extreme, and futile struggle, getting a second one in.

"Bend the ears on the outboard pad so they fit tight in the caliper. I use a hammer hit the ears with it out of the caliper check the fit and repeat Intel there tight."

Hmm, crude method of removing play in the outer pad, but I suppose it's effective if they're designed to take the abuse.

Edit: That approach is thoroughly implausible. Even a small sledge hammer only succeeded in chipping the paint. The only way I could see it maybe working is if you clamp the pad in a vice and wail on it something fierce.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,789 Posts
Following these instructions... I can fit one clip on the inner pad, but there's no way two clips are fitting in there. It's pretty snug with just one clip, and 20 minutes of trying everything I could think of wasn't going to get the second clip past the lip. I can't think of any downside to running just one clip?

Do the clips go on the outer pad, or only the inner? There's no corresponding spot on the outer pad that they seem to fit (everything is thinner than the spot they attach to on the inner). Which is annoying, because play in my outer pad was the entire reason for doing this.
80-86 calipers are considerably different than 87+. Dont recall if the pads differ or not. Only done one 87+ brake job in the last 10 years and that was at the end of a weekend full of installing a solo lift kit so i wasnt paying that close of attention.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I didn't even think of that aspect as I've never worked on, or even seen pictures of, 87+ brakes.
Good to know!

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,789 Posts
I didn't even think of that aspect as I've never worked on, or even seen pictures of, 87+ brakes.
Good to know!
86 and prior uses the older tilt-in-to-place caliper with a single bolt holding the caliper retainer. 87+ use a pair of slide bolts to hold the caliper on. Thats why only 86 and back guys can upgrade to the thunderbird calipers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts