Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts
Discussion starter · #143 ·
Thanks Nemeth & Rich, it´s been a while.

The front bumper had some minor repairs and the bumper pads were really beat up, repairing them and chroming all the parts was around $580. Wasn´t cheap, but finding a new front bumper (with the slots for the plastic pads) and bumper guards here wouldn´t be easy at all.

The body repaint was bet, If things didn´t end up well (again) I´d have sold the truck, lucky me, that wasn´t the case.

The kid who repainted my truck has some skills, he removed lots of body filler, pulled out dents and started all over with a lot of things. Also we replaced both front fenders and hood.

Recently I found some details on the tailgate I´ll have to repaint, after that I´d love to finally put the rear glass and ditch the acrilic, put the wheatherstrips and moldings. We´ll see

Discussion starter · #146 ·
Trying to keep things up a little:

Not much has happened until now.

My old tailgate had been repaired all over and it wouldn´t let me put the access cover. After changing the tailgate I could finally put on it an access cover I had stored for quite some time

Going into more serious stuff:

My 9 inch diff was leaking and the transfer case too...so off they went.

Transfer case had some cracks on the rear case, so I had them repaired.

Chain has to go:

The worst thing I found is that the guy I asked to give it a check took out the oil pump gear, because he just thought it was a useless spacer. :doh0715:

The reduction mechanism had its bronze bushing and spacers really worn. The spacer comes with the Timken kit, but the bushing doesn´t, so a friend of mine will re-do it for me.

Planetaries and annuls gear had some play, but other than that they didn´t look bad. So I´m keeping it for the time being.

Also both yokes were worn and marked by the retainers. My friend also is making some sleeves for them too. :thumbup

As you can see my truck has a full floating axles mod...It´s from a local manufacturer and I completely regret having them installed. :banghead

They leaked too many times, enough to make me feel uncomfortable. Plus they are much thinner than the original shafts. My truck has to be reliable, as it´s gonna be my daily driver soon for some time.

I came across with two Yukon axle shafts, so my truck will go back to it´s original semi-floating axle setup. No pictures yet ;)

Discussion starter · #148 ·
Thanks Rich. Regarding the full float kit: Yeah, and it leaked too many times, and badly. Off they go. With my current setup the semi-floating should be just fine.

Yesterday all the fun stuff arrived.
Transfer Case rebuild Kit*

Morse chain

Oil deflector and pump gear.

*Talking about that repair KIT....I don´t want to seem picky, but on every add on the Web says "Timken rebuild kit", and it looks like good quality stuff, but not one bearing is Timken. On the box says "Marketed by the Timken Corporation", all the stuff is INA USA or KOYO USA...:scratchhe

Now I´ve got to wait for my friend to make the bronze bushing and put everything back together

Discussion starter · #149 ·
Well, after a long my truck is running again...yeehaw!

Having all the parts delivered down here was a P.I.T.A (mostly because I didn´t see what needed to be changed all at once :smilie_slap)

Besides the bronze bushings being all shot the sun gear/input shaft was damaged :doh0715:

After receiving the new shaft and two new spacers for the front drive output shaft the assembly was pretty straightforward.

The 9": I couldn´t fin a 1310 long Yoke, so I bought from a friend of mine a "Short" Daytone Yoke and had it extended. :thumbup

Testing...

Couldn´t find the gasket, so I just put the whole thing with a sealing compound. I´ve done it before and have never had an issue.

Also I put the Yukon axles, which was the initial idea, I´ll take a couple pictures later.

Netx step is having the TTB´s camber properly adjusted. I´ve read a lot about it and already have the adjustable bushings and ball joint to do the whole thing.

The Bronco has to be 100% reliable in the next few days as it´s gonna be my daily driver for some time.:popc1:

Discussion starter · #151 ·
Hi there Rich!! Unfortunately we are very far from each other, besides the distance you´d have to cross the border into Argentina, and honestly I don´t know how difficult that might be.

I´ve never been to Chile, they say its very nice, enjoy your stay, I hope we cross paths someday!

Discussion starter · #153 ·
Hello everyone up there! It´s been a while, and I can say I have something to share with you all.

Unfortunately my position at work was cut and I was sent home, so as I knew I´d have some spare time I started roaming the idea of a newer diesel engine...so there it all began. After a lot of searching I gave up on the idea of an engine alone, so I went after a whole truck. ¨What do these guys in Argentina have that came with a Cummins engine?¨

Well, this was the Donor Truck for my ¨new¨ engine:

Yes, it is a Ford
Yes, it is a shortbed
Yes, it says F100

That right there is a Ford F100, Model Year 2000, with a cast iron ZF S5-420. These were our first Super Duty pickup trucks for the South American market. Nice, huh?

I used the truck as it was for about a week and half, but I couldn´t help myself and here I was a few days later:

Taking the engine out wasn´t exactly easy, because it was way far back and under the cowl.

Off it went...

Luckily I sold the Bronco´s engine really fast...Perkins 6 - 305 ci

And that is where the fun began!

In the following days I´ll post about the rest of the swap and the modifications I went through to use as many OEM parts as possible!!

Discussion starter · #154 ·

First try outs, nothing fancy, just getting an idea were it would go

Starting with the engine mounts templates, everything had to be custom made to use the original rubber mounts

Unfortunately the first attempt with the engine mounts´ brackets would leave the engine way up high. So...back to cut and weld stuff

Had to stick the engine mounts closer to the block, that way it could all go down to the proper height.

Next were the frame brackets

Beefy and simple but effective. Once that base was covered I had to face a long procastinated task...frame repairs....ughhh.

Damn boxed section where steering box mounts was rusted and needed to be attended, also some frame modifications were a bit "rough" so I tried to make it look a little better

Everything reinforced, painted and ready to be closed up again.

Discussion starter · #155 ·
Welding time!!!

Working on the other side...

Repainting everything....

I wasn´t intending to do anything nice, only useful.

Made two openings on the front of the frame, that should keep air flow running inside the framerails to help avoiding water and dirt to accumulate.

Mechanical clutch mod. Came out pretty well

Some heat insulation before the the main event....

And BAM! Engine is in, no more mods to that matter!

Good to hear from you again. Hope you are doing well. Very cool project. I have to say the donor truck was pretty nice. Kind of sucks to pull the engine, but better for the Bronco. Does that have turbo? If not, Are you going to install one? There is a website called "4BT swaps". You might want to go there because they have lots of info on 6BTs also.

Thankyou for keeping us up to date.

Discussion starter · #157 ·
Hi Rich!!
Thanks! Good to hear from you too. The engine is already turbo and intercooler. And yes, I was kinda sad to do that on that pickup, but truth be told, I could have kept it as it was.
Fortunately the whole Bronco project is on its final stretch.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.