Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about ready to fire It up and I want to make sure my firing order was right. I had problems in the past getting it. It has a funky firing order and was'nt listed in my chilton or any haynes. So does anyone have the firing orders for all the 302 engines in 81?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The 1982 302 is 1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1-2-3-4-6-8-7-5 is the order I have now and I do remember them being set up funky with half the wires on one side and the other on the other half.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
No, 3 of the wires are on one side and 5 on the other....that's to ensure that #4 fires twice:doh0715:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what everyone was telling me before. My truck has a very rare fireing order. Last time I had to go down to Ford and have them dig in there archives they eventualy found it for me but I lost the page they printed out for so now 4 years later im here again. I think it might be 13246875 or similar but I do know there half on one side and half on the other.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
1-2-3-4-6-8-7-4 is the order I have now and I do remember them being set up funky with half the wires on one side and the other on the other half.
:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica
That is the funniest thing I've ever read!

What are the odds that half the wires go to one side and the other half go to the other side of a v8?:doh0715::doh0715::doh0715::doh0715::doh0715:

Either you are sniffing some top quality glue or you have totaly misunderstood something here.:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill get to ford tommorow and see cause my buddy must be sniffing the same, he remembers it being weird also. I called the guy that did my rebuild to see if he still had the order laying around of course he did'nt but he also said it fires weird. I'll just have to hit ford that's all.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Ill get to ford tommorow and see cause my buddy must be sniffing the same, he remembers it being weird also. I called the guy that did my rebuild to see if he still had the order laying around of course he did'nt but he also said it fires weird. I'll just have to hit ford that's all.
When you listed the firing order, were you listing that from memory, or were you looking at your motor and distributor cap when you listed that?

Next question, how are you numbering your cylinders? Where is number one and how does it progress from there?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just went and made sure before I posted. And I'm going passenger side from front to back 1234 and the same for 5678 on the drivers side.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
just went and made sure before I posted. And I'm going passenger side from front to back 1234 and the same for 5678 on the drivers side.
So you are telling me that your motor fires all the cylinders on the pas side in order from 1-4 then mixes up the drivers side?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not saying that its right that's why I'm asking. I do know they fire 1234 in whatever order and 5678 in whatever order, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
my manual says that the firing order of your 302 is 15426378. If it is different, then please let us know and let us know why.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll find out tommorow I hope. The reason its all weird is due to the non adjustable timing from what I was told. Thanks for the help so far though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Camshaft and Firing Order: The firing order is determined by the camshaft in your engine. If you change the camshaft, then this information may not be valid.

There are three kinds of 302s made from 1982-2001.

5.0L HO This engine was used in 1983-1995 Mustangs, Mark VII Lincolns, and some T-birds and Cougars. All Explorer 5.0L engines are 5.0L HO engines as well. They use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Except for the 1983-84 Mustangs, all of these engines are roller cam equipped. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover. The 1994-5 Mustang and all Explorers use a unique front cover and water pump.
5.0L Full Size Car This engine was used in 1982-1990 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. They use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Most of these cars are not roller cam equipped, however sometime in the early 1990s they started using roller cams but retained the 302 firing order. They use a standard (clockwise) rotation water pump and front cover.
5.0L Truck (except Explorer) These engines are similar to the Full Size Car engines, except they use different intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. They also use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. They also began using roller cams sometime in the early 1990s. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So you are telling me that your motor fires all the cylinders on the pas side in order from 1-4 then mixes up the drivers side?
I think what he is trying to say is that the cylinders are numbered front to back 1234 on the PS and 5678 on the DS. Thats not the order they fire that just how they're numbered. Its weird because its diff. than other V8s. Chevys are numbered 1357 on the PS and 2468 on the DS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
gunit, supposidly my BKO and my friends BKO have 5.0L HO's. mine is an 88 and his is a 90. his has the engine size on the intake but mine doesnt, but we both have the 351W firing order, his engine was never swapped and he has owned it since new. mine on the other hand had 176,000 miles before i got it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats funny cause the guy I bought my truck from told me it had a 351w but when I went to get it rebuilt they said it was a 302 I had. So I told the previous owner and he freaked saying he has bought parts for the 351 the whole time he swore to me it was not a 302. Well the harness on the control module is brown so that means 302. Anyway does anyone have the order for a 81? I keep seeing 82 but does knowbody have it for my year?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
that'd funny cause the guy I bought my truck from told me it had a 351w but when I went to get it rebuilt they said it was a 302 I had. So I told the previous owner and he freaked saying he has bought parts for the 451 the whole time he swore to me it was not a 302. Well the harness on the control module is brown so that means 302. Anyway does anyone have the order for a 81? I keep seeing 82 but does knowbody have it for my year?
It will be either one of those highlighted
Camshaft and Firing Order: The firing order is determined by the camshaft in your engine. If you change the camshaft, then this information may not be valid.

There are three kinds of 302s made from 1982-2001.

5.0L HO This engine was used in 1983-1995 Mustangs, Mark VII Lincolns, and some T-birds and Cougars. All Explorer 5.0L engines are 5.0L HO engines as well. They use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Except for the 1983-84 Mustangs, all of these engines are roller cam equipped. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover. The 1994-5 Mustang and all Explorers use a unique front cover and water pump.
5.0L Full Size Car This engine was used in 1982-1990 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. They use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Most of these cars are not roller cam equipped, however sometime in the early 1990s they started using roller cams but retained the 302 firing order. They use a standard (clockwise) rotation water pump and front cover.
5.0L Truck (except Explorer) These engines are similar to the Full Size Car engines, except they use different intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. They also use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. They also began using roller cams sometime in the early 1990s. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have tried those two in previous attempts there no good, I have those in my chilton. Dist has not been pulled only the plugs so timing is not a issue.

Went to Ford just now and of course the guy with the keys to the archives is on vaca. Just figured I would walk the place and see if I could ask a tech. Well they said it would be one of those you guys gave me and could not believe it has a non adjustable timing. they said its on the manifold well there is a order but its not right either.....why did Ford make shit so damn hard? This sucks!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Small block Fords only ever used 2 firing orders.

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 for 302 non H.O.

and

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 for 351w/302H.O.

Thats the only two, so it has to be one or the other.

and could not believe it has a non adjustable timing.
That's becouse unless it is D.I.S. you can adjust the timing.

why did Ford make shit so damn hard? This sucks!
Unless you have some super rare 302 that only that one guy at Ford knows about, then Ford is not who made it hard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts