Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, i've had enough of this original charging system. I'm going to do a 3g alt swap and take out this original piece of crap alternator.

This is what i have to work with:
1982 FSB 300 straight 6
The goodies

possibly the biggest pain in my ass...referring to the ammeter

Now Fireguy....I've read a whole lot of write-ups on this swap, i'm going to provide a bunch of pics of the wiring, i just need to know which ones i need to toss and which ones to keep. I hope this will help out further cases of P.O. wiring chaos.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Removed prettymuch ALL the wiring from the old alternator and external voltage regulator...remove the external voltage regulator. Practically none of the original wiring is reused. the old charge cable should be replaced as well.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed prettymuch ALL the wiring from the old alternator and external voltage regulator...remove the external voltage regulator. Practically none of the original wiring is reused. the old charge cable should be replaced as well.
So remove the voltage regulator, and all the wiring that was originally used?

I'm assuming there is a voltage regulator in the 3g alt then.

So how about the starter solenoid, are the wires there the same?

Do i need to cap off and secure any specific wires?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

a better angle of the wires.

now with these...they are tied into a big bundle of wires and go in multiple directions

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So keep the wiring the same on the starter solenoid? which is the battery + and this white wire *which gives me power to the cab...when i remove it the dome light goes out*

The red cap on the nubs in the front of the starter solenoid, not sure what that does

There is an empty nub to the side of the red capped wire-anything need to go here?

And on the right side-is the starter wire, which goes to the starter.

Any thing change with this wiring?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This dude...goes back behind the engine....and apparently was hooked up to the original alt wiring. Not sure what the hell it is

·
Registered
457 Posts
What do you have against the ammeter ?
I don't think you can use it because the 3g has a much higher output than the original alternator.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts