Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I once came on here about a year ago asking about a bronco I was going to buy. I ended up getting a broncoII, well I've decided to sell it now. I found another bronco, this time its cheaper and I have more cash.

Im just looking for opinions on it and I was wondering the kind of mpg I can expect? Is it possible to get over 10 with 35s?

Its a 1983, the 302 runs fine, the problem is its in kind of rough shape. The c6 is slipping, so he said its not really driveable. Ive heard the c6 is easy to rebuild, and the rebuild kits are about $100. The paint is no problem, I just painted my b2 with rustoleum, I can just use the leftover paint on this. He said it has all the windows, all seats, but the passengers needs to be installed, the tires have leaks but will hold air for a little while. He wants $500, which I think seems ok, tell me what you think.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As for the c6, if you like tetris and can understand an exploded diagram, it's a piece of cake to rebuild. :thumbup For the price, IMO any $500 4x4 is a deal, as long as it's just tires/tranny. I've found rust is the biggest down fall of a project car, drivetrain and interior are easy fixes, but rust can be a nightmare. I've also noticed that location matters alot when you're looking at prices. The going rate for "X" may be double in an area where they are either not available, or highly sought after.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll definitely check the frame before I buy it. He said the body isnt too bad, the hood appears to be just surface rust. He has the title, so im gonna try to get it on Saturday if I sell the b2. Im getting $1800 for it, so ill have plenty of money left over.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not a bad buy for 500 bones. I'd probably buy it for that. Looks to me like it's been sitting for a bit, though. You might want to consider setting some cash aside to replace a few seals and the brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I will. I just hope I sell the b2 on Saturday so I can go buy the fullsize. I think I should be able to rebuild the c6, I read some guides online and it sounds like its just the clutches are worn out, normal problem. It looked like they rebuilt it using regular tools, but has anyone here done it before? I dont need anything like a press do I? All I have are just usual tools(hammer, C clamp, vice, etc.)

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Don't plan on rebuilding that C6 for $100. A good rebuild kit with a shift improver will run about $150 and a new torque converter will run another $200 or so. Throwing in the trans with the old converter is a guranteed short life for your new trans.

It's been a while since I was into a C6, but I think you can do a home rebuild with a couple 6" c-clamps to compress the clutches. Other than that, a set of feeler gauges and good snap ring pliers are the most important tools. You need heavy duty internal and external pliers, plus the external style that have flat, serrated ends to remove the pointy snap rings.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells the ASTC manuals (or whatever they're called) for about $15. Well worth the money and they contain everything you need to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not bad. I got my 1984 for $400.00. It had a new drive train from front to back but is a little rough on the body. The exhaust was destroyed but I fixed that. All in all....I love my truck and it is a great weekender.

Rick in Orlando

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't plan on rebuilding that C6 for $100. A good rebuild kit with a shift improver will run about $150 and a new torque converter will run another $200 or so. Throwing in the trans with the old converter is a guranteed short life for your new trans.
you can have the torque converter rebuilt for about 85.00 and the can change the stall if needed:thumbup

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found another 1985 bronco for $1200. it has the 300 I6, auto (is it a c6?), runs and drives good, has tear in driver seat, litttle bit of rust but not much. new exhaust,all new belts & hoses, new fan clutch, new manifold gasket, new valve cover gasket, new shocks. he said it gets around 15mpg, sound right?

this one is way better, there doesnt seem to be as many hidden problems. id still have around $600 afterwards. The '83 is just so cheap though.

Tell me what you think, if the c6 is hard to do then I might as well not get it since I wont be able to fix it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
15 is about right for a 300 in decent tune, but i've personally gotten everywhere from 6 to 22 out of one. Just depends on how you drive it and what you do.

But something to keep in mind is for the most part fullsize Ê fuel mileage (mutually exclusive).

Everytime i pick up another fullsize truck i always think like this: if it gets 10mpg I can live with it (if any stock fullsize gets less than 10 unloaded something isn't right, i don't care if it has a 460), i'm happy at 12, and am absolutely beside myself at 15. Anything above is just bonus.

But as for being up on 35's and all, when I had my truck like that it pretty much got 12mpg regardless.

Justin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I think Ill get the second one, it hasnt been sitting. The guy drives it regularly. Now I just gotta sell the B2, supposed to tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I-6 is bulletproof. More torque, too. It's always better to get something that someone is still using. I got 15 in my F150 with an I6 regardless. Good luck.

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Put the money into a better truck, not into fixing up a beater. You will come out ahead.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Honestly, they are both going to be extremely problem prone. The 83 would make a great project rig, but as a daily driver I dont think either would be good at all. The second is definetly a better dd than the first, but I believe it is extremely overpriced. I would not go a dime over 750-800 and that is the absolute max. Bronco's that old were going for that price 3-4 years ago before the gas prices went through the roof.

fueleconomy.gov used to list the I-6 versus the two available v-8's, the gas savings equate to 1-2 mpg from what I remember.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a 300 and I had a 302. I like the extra torque from the 300 and with an offy intake a 390 carb and headers you can gain some decent power. But I also think you can get that for less that $1200.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill try to bargain him down. I thought it was a little pricey, but it looks way better than the other one. I found a '89 with a 302 for $700 and all it needed was a fuel pump, wish I wouldve had the money, that one lasted about 2 days.

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, i'd say it comes down to how mechanically apt you are and how dirty you're willing to get.

When I was in highschool I needed a truck as a DD so I went shopping for one with two requirements- It had to be an inline 6 with at least 240 cubes and it had to have a granny 4 speed. Didn't care if it was Ford or GM, 4x2 or 4x4, long bed, short bed. Hell, it coulda been titty pink for all I cared.

I walked into it like this because I knew I was going to make what I wanted out of the truck, so I figured I'd start with something cheap and build from there.

In 2002 I picked up a 1985 f-150 4x2 for $500 and over the next two years I put about $3,000 into it making it a 4x4 and rebuilding the motor. But when i was done it had a fresh motor, radiator, brakes, transmission, t-case, rearend, front end, new springs, all new bushings, everything and I knew that truck top to bottom, inside out, forward and backward.

And it stayed a DD the whole time. The longest it was ever out of commission was for a weekend.

To get a truck in the condition that 85 wound up in I would have been buying a mid to late 90's truck for $5,000-$6,000 and even then it's a gamble since it's still a used truck.

Justin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts